Open-sourcing PAF

Bryan Sant pluglist at plug.org
Thu Oct 14 15:12:27 MDT 2004

--=__Part072725AB.0__=

I am moving off my current team here at the Church and on to the
next-generation
PAF replacement (they haven't named it yet -- it may just stay named PAF).
The
next-generation product will be open-source from day one.  We will be in the
planning phase for some time, but code will soon follow and everyone will have
full access to it.  I may end up being the OSS project maintainer.

We haven't decided on the technology used to develope the desktop app.  It
WILL
be cross-platform, and will likely be writen in C++ with Qt or GTK+, but we
haven't decided on anything for sure.

The old PAF *could* be open sourced, but the new codebase will be much cleaner
and capable of leveraging all of the new features that will be in the
next-generation familysearch.org via web-services.  The Church has no plans of
open-sourcing the old code, but every intention of opening the new source and
accepting contributions.  Internally we plan on doing things as they would be
done with a distributed OSS model.  Even though my peers are on the same
floor,
we'll be collaborating via webcam, email, chat, etc. -- no personal contact
(we'll mostly :)).

This is all hush-hush, and may all change, but this is what is being planned
right now.

Pretty cool stuff,

-Bryan

>>>crowderb at gmail.com 10/14 10:23 am >>>
Has anyone ever contacted the Church about making PAF open source so
that interested parties could port it to Linux (and OS X and other
OSes)?  If they don't have the resources to port it themselves, it
seems like the easiest way would be to open-source it (it's a free
program anyway).

Ben

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.

--=__Part072725AB.0__=

  <head>
   =20
  </head>
margin-top: 4px">
    <DIV>
      I am moving off my current team here at the Church and on to the =
next-generation &quot;PAF&quot; replacement (they haven't named it yet -- it =
may just stay named PAF). &nbsp;The next-generation product will be =
open-source from day one. &nbsp;We will be in the planning phase for some =
time, but code will soon follow and everyone will have full access to it. =
&nbsp;I may end up being the OSS project maintainer.
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>
      We haven't decided on the technology used to develope the desktop app. =
&nbsp;It WILL be cross-platform, and will likely be writen in C++ with Qt or =
GTK+, but we haven't decided on anything for sure.
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>
      The old PAF *could* be open sourced, but the new codebase will be much =
cleaner and capable of leveraging all of the new features that will be in the=
 =
next-generation familysearch.org via web-services. &nbsp;The Church has no =
plans of open-sourcing the old code, but every intention of opening the new =
source and accepting contributions. &nbsp;Internally we plan on doing things =
as they would be done with a distributed OSS model. &nbsp;Even though my peer=
s=
 are on the same floor, we'll be collaborating via webcam, email, chat, etc. =
-- no personal contact (we'll mostly :)).
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>
      This is all hush-hush, and may all change, but this is what is being =
planned right now.
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>
      Pretty cool stuff,
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>
      -Bryan
    </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>    &gt;&gt;&gt;crowderb at gmail.com 10/14 10:23 am &gt;&gt;&gt;
    <DIV>Has anyone ever contacted the Church about making PAF open source so
    <DIV>that interested parties could port it to Linux (and OS X and other
    <DIV>OSes)=3F&#160;&nbsp;If they don't have the resources to port it =
themselves, it
    <DIV>seems like the easiest way would be to open-source it (it's a free
    <DIV>program anyway).

    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>    Ben

----<br>
This message may contain confidential information, and is<br>
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it<br>
is addressed.<br>