The first teaching was held in Chessel's Land in January 1974.
In the original plan for the site the raised patio in front of Chessel's Land was planned to connect with a proposed Library and a Theatre fronting onto Holyrood Road. These buildings in turn were to be connected with the St Leonard's Physical Education building across Holyrood Road. In the event these plans were ruled out by the SED in 1978. The Theatre was never built and a new Library was eventually developed in Dalhousie Land.
Chessel's Land takes its name from Archibald Chessel, a successful wright to trade and stalwart member of the Tron Kirk who lived in the eighteenth century. He built the nearby Chessel's Court between 1745 and 1748. These were much admired mansion flats built to accommodate persons of standing.
In 1993 Chessel's Land became the base for the Aesthetic Studies Department, when Drama studios were added. In 1996 Music was transferred from Old Moray House.
the time of writing there are plans to integrate Moray House's Science
and Technology facilities into Chessel's Land.
Published by the Moray House School of Education, Old Moray House, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AQ
All material is copyright © The University of Edinburgh, Moray House School of Education