|home > history > years 1844 - 1860|
|History 1844 - 1860|
29 September, SA Gazette advertises a meeting at Mr Philips' of East Terrace on 5 October to establish a mission in the colony.
8 September, Bishop Murphy is consecrated in St Mary's Sydney.
St Francis Xavier Cathedral ca 1863
Photograph courtesy of the State Library of South Australia, SLSA: B 61882.
Copper is discovered Kapunda 1843 and Burra 1844 making the colony more prosperous.
The gold rush results in many South Australians going to Victoria, leaving SA in a depression. Lambeth goes too and never returns. He leaves no detailed drawings.
Initially temporary walls enclose the ends of the building. A temporary screen divides the sanctuary from the body of the church and forms a side chapel and sacristies.
28 April, Bishop Murphy is buried - an 'inter mural' burial in the sanctuary area of the cathedral. A collection is taken up for the Murphy Bell which is cast in 1859.
11 July, the first stage of the cathedral is blessed and opened by the Vicar General, Fr Michael Ryan.
The cathedra or bishop's throne is of cedar. It is said to be from a beam brought by Bishop Murphy from the Sydney home of William Davis. In his house the Blessed Sacrament was reserved following the imprisonment and deportation in 1818 of the only priest then in Sydney, Fr Jeremiah Flynn.
For the opening ceremony, the organist is Carl Linger. He is known in Adelaide as first conductor of the Adelaide Liedertafel and for his music for the Song of Australia. Fr Maurice Lencioni CP conducts the choir.
|Years 1844 - 1860|
|Years 1864 - 1887|
|Years 1892 - 1926|
|Years 1930 - 1964|
|Years 1971 - 1996|
|Years 2000 - present|
|Bishops and Archbishops|
|© 2005, St Francis Xavier Cathedral Parish, Adelaide|
|For comments or problems email: email@example.com|