Traffic - State Government and GCC reponsibilities

Most of the roads in Glenorchy are owned and maintained by Council. State Government owns and maintains the Brooker Highway and Goodwood Road.

Although Council owns and maintains its roads, any changes to the road layout or installation of traffic control devices must be approved by State Government (Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources - DIER). A formal arrangement has been set up to accommodate any such changes as promptly as possible.

DIER are responsible for the installation of road line marking and the provision of regulatory signage (such as give way and stop signs). If you have an enquiry about line marking or regulatory signage (give way holding lines, road centre lines, stop signs, etc), you may either contact DIER directly, or pass the information onto Council.

DIER are also responsible for the installation and maintenance of traffic signals. If you have an enquiry about the operation of traffic signals (such as a lantern is not working), you may call DIER on 1300139933.

For more information on these issues, you may contact:

Angela Moore, Traffic Engineer, GCC - 6216 6766, or

Simon Brown, Traffic Engineer, DIER - 6233 4793

Jump to top of pagePrint this page
Page Url:
read pdf documents using the latest viewer



About Us


Community Information

Documents and Forms

Meetings and Minutes


Pay Now