W. Leadbetter was a leading Clark County figure in the wood and
paper industry who founded what is now the Boise Cascade Corp.
plant on west Sixth Street.
born in Iowa and educated in San Jose, Calif., was married in
1894 to Caroline Pittock, daughter of Henry L. Pittock, publisher
of the Portland Oregonian.
involved in irrigation promotion in the Yakima Valley in the 1890s,
and also worked for a short time for The Oregonian.
had been a founder of the paper mill at Camas, and Leadbetter
was active in that business. The Columbia River Paper Co., operating
the Camas mill, merged with Crown Paper Co. to form Crown-Columbia
Paper Co. in the early 1900s, and Leadbetter was a leading owner
of the new organization.
after another merger, the company became known as the Crown Willamette
was also an official in Vancouver's largest mill in the early
1900s, the Pittock and Leadbetter mill, operating in what had
been the Michigan mill, on the waterfront.
Leadbetter established and was president of the Columbia River
Paper Mills, predecessor of Boise Cascade at Vancouver. At the
time, Leadbetter had considerable holdings in CLark County, much
of the property in the Camas area.
continued as Columbia River Mills president for many years before
his death in 1948.
residence on Lacamas Lake is a long-time landmark. The family
also maintained a house in Portland.