Division of Mammals
An updated Third Edition of Mammal Species of the World was published late in 2005:
Wilson, D. E., and D. M. Reeder (eds). 2005. Mammal Species of
the World. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2,142 pp. (Available
from Johns Hopkins University Press, 1-800-537-5487 or
(410) 516-6900 http://www.press.jhu.edu/.)
A new website containing the updated content is under construction, and will be available later in 2006. Meanwhile, here is the new complete list of species recognized in MSWIII:
- Browse the Checklist of Mammal Names as Text (256 KB, text only)
- Download the Checklist of Mammal Names (945 KB, MS Excel format)
- Download the Checklist of Mammal Names (376 KB, CSV format)
- Download the Checklist of Mammal Names (529 KB, PDF)
- Download the Checklist of Mammal Names (165 KB, ZIP format)
This currently existing online list was compiled under the auspices of the American Society of Mammalogists. Copyright 1993 Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC USA. All rights are reserved. The data in this checklist of mammal species of the world are being presented for non-commercial, personal, and collections management use only. Copying or redistributing these data in any manner for personal or corporate gain is not permitted.
MAMMALIA's place in the Tree of Life.
NMNH Division of Mammals | Vertebrate Zoology | NMNH Research & Collections | NMNH Home