WCW Clash of the Champions XXXV
August 21, 1997
Written by: John Petrie
- Quick WCW Clash of the Champions XXXV Results (08/21/97):
* They started the show by replaying the Sting segment from the 8/18 Nitro.
* Steve "Mongo" McMichael defeated Jeff Jarrett to win the United States
Heavyweight Title. Eddy Guerrero tried to interfere in the match, but
accidentally knocked out Jarrett with the U.S. belt. Debra McMichael then
tried to cozy up to Mongo, but he told her "it won't be that easy!"
* Mean Gene Okerlund interviewed Alex Wright.
* Mean Gene did a segment with the host of the "Dinner & A Movie" show
* Raven defeated Stevie Richards in a "No Disqualification" match with a
* Mike Tenay introduced a video segment which took an in-depth look at the
Ultimate Dragon, and set the record straight on his name. From now on,
WCW will call him "Ultimo" Dragon instead of "Ultimate" Dragon.
* Alex Wright defeated Ultimo Dragon to win the World Television Title by
pinfall with a German Suplex.
* Chris Jericho defeated Eddy Guerrero by pinfall after a series of pin
attempts and reversals by the two wrestlers. Jericho retained his
Cruiserweight Title. Eddy attacked Jericho after the match was over,
leaving him laying in the ring.
* Psychosis, Villano III & IV and Silver King defeated Super Calo, Juventud
Guerrera, Hector Garza and Lizmark Jr. Psychosis pinned Super Calo
following a guillotine legdrop off the top.
* Another segment with the "Dinner & A Movie" hosts, Claude Mann and Paul
Gilmartin. All the food dishes were shown to be in honor of Randy Savage
and the New World Order. Mann and Gilmartin revealed that they are with
the NWO. Randy Savage comes out and says this is the NWO's birthday
party. They showed a clip of Savage's appearance on "Dinner & A Movie"
from several weeks ago. After Savage left, Mann and Gilmartin badmouthed
Diamond Dallas Page. Page came out, trashed the set and nailed Gilmartin
with the Diamond Cutter.
* Ric Flair and Curt Hennig defeated Syxx and Konan. Hennig put Konan away
with the Hennigplex. Mean Gene then interviewed Hennig and Flair, with
Hennig again refusing to verify whether or not he was joining the Four
* Randy Savage and Scott Hall defeated Lex Luger and Diamond Dallas Page.
Michael Buffer did the ring introductions. Prior to the start of the
match, Kevin Nash gave Savage a vote of confidence by allowing him to
defend his half of the World Tag Team Titles, thus turning the bout into
a title match. The rest of the NWO left at the start of the match except
for Nash, whom referee Nick Patrick ordered to the back later in the
match. The finish came when DDP, who had been stunned, accidentally hit
Lex Luger with the Diamond Cutter. Scott Hall covered for the pin.
After the match, the NWO-led by Eric Bischoff-began to celebrate in the
ring. Suddenly unusual music started to play and the lights began to
flicker. The camera showed Sting up in the rafters holding a vulture, as
a voice-over by a child recited a poem about betrayal and revenge. The
lights then went out. When they came back on, the vulture was sitting on
the top rope of the ring. The NWO cowered in fear as the show ended.
Copyright ©2002 tOA, All Rights Reserved
All columns and posts represent the views and opinions of the noted authors
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of tOA.