Memphis & Charleston
|This extremely valuable
cross-Confederacy road was chartered by Tennessee in 1846, Alabama in
1850, and Mississippi in 1851. Construction of the new road, and reconstruction of included older
roads, began in 1851 and was completed in 1857. The road ran from
Memphis to Stevenson, Alabama on its own track and into Chattanooga on
Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad track.
This vital road was lost in April 1862 when its eastern headquarters, Huntsville, Alabama was captured. The loss of Memphis and Corinth, Mississippi completed the destruction of this east-west link.
|Black's Number||66 (map)|
|Track||311 miles of 5 foot gage of 60# T-rail|
|Locomotives||50; 50 names|
|Bridging||Permanent Bridges, Arched Culverts, Trestle Bridges|
|War Losses||War Losses|