|In 1875, H.H. Richardson designed a commercial building for his father-in-law. The Hayden Building was "lost" behind a series of facades added in the 1950s and 60s. It was in 1972 when an historic district survey found Richardsons name on the building permit. The building is now individually listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and is a Boston Landmark.
Restoration and reconstruction work was complex. Dangerously weakened structural stonework was replaced using latex molded cast stone replicas from other parts of the building. Shattered brownstone lintels and columns have been replaced, brownstone cleaned, and the building completely repointed.
Today, the Hayden Building has a sound exterior, with a new mahogany storefront designed by Bruner/Cott and built by Preservation Carpentry students at the North Bennet Street School.