Turkey and the Council of Europe
Date of accession
Turkey became the 13rd member State of the Council of Europe on 9 August 1949.
Committee of Ministers
- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Abdullah GÜL represents Turkey in the Committee of Ministers.
- Ambassador Daryal BATIBAY has been the Permanent Representative of Turkey to the Council of Europe since March 2004.
Turkey is represented in the Parliamentary Assembly by a delegation of 12 representatives and 12 substitutes.
- Murat MERCAN (EPP/CD) is the head of the delegation and Parliamentary Assembly Vice-President.
- Abdülkadir ATES (SOC) is the Chairperson of the Political Affairs Committee.
- Mevlüt ÇAVUŞOĞLU (EDG) is the Chairperson of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Population.
Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
Turkey is represented in the Congress by a delegation of 12 representatives and 12 substitutes.
- Yavuz MILDON (EPP/CD), Canakkale, is the head of the delegation, Vice-President of the Congress and was re-elected President of the Chamber of Regions on 30 May 2006.
The Council of Europe's ordinary budget for 2006 is € 190 148 800. The contribution of Turkey is € 5 545 689.75 (i.e. 2.9165%).
Turkey ratified the European Convention on Human Rights on 18 May 1954.
- The Judge for Turkey to the European Court of Human Rights is Rıza TÜRMEN.
- Applications lodged against Turkey in 2005 : 2302
- Judgments on the merits : 290 of which 270 violations and 9 non-violations.
Council of Europe Treaties
To date, Turkey has ratified and signed the following treaties
Updated : 27.10.2006