Appendix A: Version History
- v0.55.00 BETA (4th December 2006)
- Corrected error preventing volumes encrypted with the XOR and NULL encryption drivers operating properly
- Corrected problem with opening files on some PDAs
- Redundant drivers moved into separate directory
- Added further information to documentation wrt redundant drivers/speeding up the time taken to mount
- Added stats report for drivers (developer use only)
- FreeOTFE4PDACypherTwofish_HifnCS.dll driver removed from PDA binary distribution (driver fails to init correctly). Note: Existing volumes can still be mounted and used with the remaining two Twofish implementations
- v0.50.00 BETA (11th November 2006)
- v1.60.00 (28th January 2006)
- Added the following cyphers:
- Fixed minor bug that prevented FreeOTFE from properly dismounting volumes under certain conditions.
- Corrected build error that prevented previous version from operating correctly under MS Windows 2000
- v1.50.00 (8th January 2006)
- Changed email address from email@example.com to (finally!) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Added the following cyphers:
- AES (Gladman library)
- RC-6 (Gladman library)
- Twofish (Gladman library)
- MARS (Gladman library; source only pending licence clarification)
- Updated to allow volumes to be mounted across networks
- Added ability to resize the driver control dialog
- Corrected fault that prevented LUKS partitions from being mounted
support for LUKS volumes which use ESSIV, subject to the hashlength of
the ESSIV hash generating the same number or less bits as the cypher
used. Note: Although LUKS can create volumes with ESSIV - ESSIV is not part of the LUKS specification!
- Corrected errors that were displayed when a non-admin attempted to access the driver control dialog
- v1.00.00 (20th November 2005)
- Added dismount hotkeys.
- Added optional system tray icon (tasktray icon), together with ability to minimize/close FreeOTFE to the system tray.
- Added optional toolbar and statusbar
- Added command line support
- Improved support for MS Windows XP Themes
- Switched from Delphi 5 to Delphi 7
- v0.59.00 BETA (29th July 2005)
- Minor change to FreeOTFE.sys device driver to fix error
introduced by compiler. Specifically, debug builds work correctly, but
for release builds the compiler handles the "%" (modulus) operator
differently for 64 bit arithmetic; calling a kernel function
("_alldvrm") that doens't exist in Windows 2000, causing the driver to
fail to load.
- v0.58.00 BETA (24th July 2005)
- Added support for cryptlib (cl32.dll) as an RNG, if installed
- Added support for Linux LUKS volumes
- Removed redundant warnings when run by a user without Administrative privileges
- v0.57.9900 BETA (8th June 2005 - restricted test release)
- Added support for encrypted CDs/DVDs
- Added support for encrypting disk devices, as well as
partitions (i.e. You can now encrypt an entire disk, not just
partitions held on it)
- v00.57.00 BETA (28th May 2005)
- Compatability with Linux volumes improved
- Fixed bug found when creating a new volume and storing the
volume's CDB separatly. (The CDB file wasn't being created before the
CDB was written to it, causing an "Unable to write critical data block"
- v00.56.00 BETA (7th May 2005 - restricted release)
- Corrected issues relating to formatting volumes
- v00.54.00 BETA (7th May 2005 - restricted release)
- Now tested under Windows 2000, as well as Windows XP.
- Removed buffering between data transfers to increse reliability.
- Updated to fix "Format incomplete" problems when formatting as FAT/FAT32 while running under Windows 2000.
- Added warning to user if an attempt is made to use a volume file created with a later volume format layout ID.
- Corrected fault with Windows XP/Windows 2000 differing
QueryDosDevice behaviour that sometimes prevented FreeOTFE listing all
cyphers/hash algorithms installed.
- Updated to only accept drag 'n dropped files when the drivers are active.
- Extra checks included to ensure user has at least one hash and cypher driver installed and running.
- Fixed MB/GB selection in new volume creation.
- More sensible saving/loading of Linux encryption settings.
- Added prompt when exiting if volumes are still mounted.
- v00.53.00 BETA (24th April 2005 - restricted release)
- Fixed major bug causing the main driver to ignore it's queue when large amounts of data were written to an encrypted volume.
- Improved emergency dismount (dismounts faster by cancelling all queued requests to the driver).
- Improved progress dialog's responsiveness when overwriting free
space, preventing it from appearing frozen and giving user a better
indication of progress.
- Fixed minor cosmetic fault on the keyfile creation dialog.
- FreeOTFE volume creation wizard now gives user more flexability to specify the sector IV generation method used.
- Added support for Linux dm-crypt volumes (e.g. ESSIV).
- Added progress dialog when creating volume files.
- Message shown when FreeOTFE exits and stops portable mode no
longer displayed, unless there was a problem stopping portable mode.
- v00.50.00 BETA 1 (4th April 2005)
- Implementation of "portable mode"
- Added support for keyfiles
- User passwords are no longer displayed; they are blanked out with "*" characters
- Added option to backup and restore the CDB from volumes with a CDB
- Added option to dump critical data block to a human readable file
- Driver control dialog now indicates state of drivers - making it a lot clearer what's happening!
- Added support for encrypted partitions
- User can now change their passwords, and many other FreeOTFE volume properties.
- When volume files
are mounted and used, their timestamps (created, last accessed and last
modified) and attributes are recorded. They are then reset on dismount.
- Volume file timestamps and attributes are reset after dismounting, improving "plausible deniability"
- Added ability to save settings when mounting Linux volumes
- Volumes can now be mounted as removable drives (no recycle bin, files deleted directly)
- User's password is now processed with PKCS#5 PBKDF2 (HMAC), instead of being salted and hashed.
- Improved handling if more than one hash/cypher can be used for encryption/decryption.
- Added the following cyphers:
- libtomcrypt version of Twofish
- Added the following hash algorithms:
- Added per-volume IVs
- Rewrote most of the driver control dialog
- Critical data block checksum now uses the HMAC of the volume details block, instead of it's hash
bug that could cause new volumes to be created with an extra newline
tacked onto the end of the user's password. If you have problems
mounting volumes created like this, you should still be able to mount
them by entering an extra newline (just press <ENTER>) at the end
of your password.
- Fixed bug that caused VolumeFlags to be read back from the volume
incorrectly. In order to continue support for older (CDB format 1)
volumes, these volumes will still be read incorrectly, but newer (CDB
format 2) volumes are processed correctly. To update older volumes to
use the later CDB format, simply change your password via the "Tools |
Change volume/keyfile password/details..." menuitem. It is highly
recommended that you do this anyway, in order to better ensure future
- v0.00.02 BETA 1 (11th October 2004)
- Fix to correct bug with salt handling which prevented FreeOTFE
volumes from being mounted.
- v0.00.01 BETA 1 (10th October 2004)
- First public release for