St Jude's Cemetery
The cemetery was established in 1854 and was the second burial
ground for the area after North Brighton. Members of many
pioneer families are buried here including some from HMS Buffalo
which landed in Holdfast Bay in 1836. Others include members
of well known South Australian families as well as Catherine
Helen Spence and the famous Antarctic explorer, Sir Douglas
Location: Brighton Road, Brighton.
Jetty and Arch of Rememberance
The first Brighton Jetty was built in
1886. Extremely popular with fishermen and day-trippers,
it weathered the sea storms for over 100 years.
Over that time its original T shape was reduced to an L shape,
until finally it was badly damaged in 1994. The new
concrete Jetty was opened in 1996. Local artists have recently
added three modern pieces of artwork to the Jetty based on
the elements of light, wind and water.
An older landmark is the Arch of Remembrance
standing in front of the Jetty. The original Arch was unveiled
in a dedication service in 1926. It was damaged by storms
in 1963 and rebuilt in 1964. The bronze laurel wreaths were
added to the Arch after World War II.
Location: Jetty Road, Brighton
Paringa Hall built in 1882 for the pastoralist JF Cudmore,
is today part of Sacred Heart College at Somerton Park. The
mansion is open for historic tours on a regular basis.
Location: Brighton Road, Somerton Park
Brighton Public School and Residence
The Brighton Public School and residence, both of bluestone,
were built in the 1880s.
Location: Brighton Road, Brighton.
Anglican Church Complex
The original St Jude's Anglican church opened in 1855. Part
of the original church remains as the Lady Chapel of the new
church built in the 1960s.
Location: Brighton Road, Brighton.
Uniting Church and Hall
Originally the Wesley Chapel opened in 1864. The front porch
was added in 1966 using similar building materials.
Location: Brighton Road, Brighton
Brighton Historical Walk
This walk has been designed to give you an insight into the
history and heritage of this special area. You will probably
take about 1 to 2 hours, depending on whether you are a brisk
walker or a leisurely stroller! There is an optional included,
and we have even suggested a break time so you can enjoy all
that Jetty Road has to offer. We hope you enjoy your walk.
1. City of Holdfast Bay - Civic Centre
2. The Spirit of Peace - Rose Garden
3. Ringwood - Community Centre
4. House - 4 Jetty Road
5. Uniting Church Manse
6. Uniting Church and Hall
7. Brighton Public School
8. Anglican Church Complex
9. St. Judes Cemetry
10. Moreton Bay Fig Trees
11. Brighton Metro
12. Old Beach Road
13. Early Cottage - 21 Old Beach Road
14. Original Adelaide to Willunga Line
15. Attached Shop and Residence
16. House - 2 Elm Street
17. Houses on Bindarra Road
18. Brighton Jetty and Arch
19. Drinking Foundation
20. Pier Building - 136 Esplanade
21. Jetty Road, Brighton
22. Dunluce - 12 Yester Avenue
23. Athelney - 2 Athelney Avenue
24. Row of Forrest Red Gums
25. House - 3 Dunluce Avenue
26. House - 34 The Crescent (Corner)
27. Windsor Theatre
Start: 24 Jetty Road, Brighton
Finish: 1 Commercial Road, Brighton
Approx Distance: 2.7km + 1km for the optional tour
Approx Time: 1 to 2 hours
Please respect the privacy of residents.
This historic walk was developed by the City of Holdfast Bay
in consultation with the Brighton Historical Society.
Old Gum Tree
The Old Gum Tree was the site chosen by Governor Hindmarsh
to read the proclamation which formed the State of South Australia
on 28 December 1836. Each year on this day a re-enactment
gathers around this historic tree.
Location: MacFarlane Avenue, Glenelg.
HMS Buffalo is a replica of the sailing ship that brought
the early settlers to Holdfast Bay, Glenelg in 1836. It is
an award winning restaurant.
Location: Adelphi Terrace, Glenelg North.
Partridge House is a magnificent Tudor style house built in
1899 for Miss Elinor Varley. It is set within a beautiful
Location: 38 Partridge Street, Glenelg.
The Pioneer Memorial
The Pioneer Memorial pays tribute to the early settlers of
Location: Moseley Square, Glenelg.
Glenelg Jetty was first built in 1859. A wooden lighthouse
once stood at its end but was destroyed by fire and in April
1948 a violent storm ruined the jetty itself. It was rebuilt
in 1969 and is 215 metres long.
Location: At the end of Jetty Road, Glenelg.
Glenelg Town Hall
Glenelg Town Hall, now the home of the Bay Discovery Centre,
was built in 1875 to the design of architect Edmund Wright.
It was formerly the Glenelg Institute which housed a library
reading room (with separate ladies' quarters) a grand concert
hall, a chess room, a museum and a lecture hall. The Mayoral
chair is over 150 years old and is crafted from timbers salvaged
from the shipwreck HMS Buffalo off the coast of New Zealand.
Location: Moseley Square, off Jetty Road, Glenelg.
Glenelg Post Office
The first Glenelg Post Office was built in 1859 and was Glenelg's
first telegraph station. The present Post Office was built
Location: Corner of Jetty Road and Colley Terrace, Glenelg.
The Old Congregational Church
The old congregational church now called St Andrew's Uniting
Church and St Leonard's Chapel was built in 1859. The original
church is used as the church hall and contains a Fincham and
Hobday pipe organ, installed in 1883. The present church dates
from 1880 and contains the St Leonard's Chapel opened in 1993.
Location: Jetty Road, Glenelg.
St Peter's Anglican Church
St Peter's Anglican Church dates from 1883. The church, designed
by Edmund Wright, features over thirty stained-glass windows.
The St Michael's Chapel was built as a memorial to congregational
members who lost their lives in World War 1.
Location: Augusta Street, Glenelg.
Kapara, now a nursing home, was built in 1897 as George Jury's
home. The George Jury Chair of English Literature at Adelaide
University was named after him. The house, bought by the Repatriation
Commission, became the Anzac Hostel (a home for returned servicemen).
The Glenelg Tram
The electric tram was officially launched on 14 December 1929
and the Glenelg line is the only tram-line left in Adelaide.
The original trams have been preserved and still operate on
the line today.
Kingston House, originally the Marino Inn, was used by Kingston
as a summer residence for his family. Kingston enlarged the
Inn in the late 1850s to take the form of the house today.
The house originally stood on 80 acres of land, purchased
in 1839, which incorporated what is today known as Kingston
Location: Cameron Avenue, Kingston Park
Kingston Park has existed as a recreational area since 1924.
Twenty-four acres of the foreshore were declared a National
Reserve and in 1927 the park was opened. The park contains
two Norfolk Island Pines planted in the 1850s by George Strickland
Kingston and his two sons. The pines are known locally as
Pat and Charlie after the Strickland boys. This site has strong
associations with the Kaurna people and the spring is associated
with the Tjilbruke story.
Location: 242 Esplande, Kingston Park.