From Gentoo Linux Wiki
Tips are relatively small articles that do not provide a complete walkthrough (as HOWTOs should).
- Emacs Packages - Emacs doesn't automatically load packages installed through Portage, here's how you enable it.
- Nano Context Highlighting - Get Nano to do context highlighting.
- Changing the default editor - Change the default editor for gentoo
- Firefox Settings - Some useful Firefox settings from about:config.
- Firefox Plugins - Plugins directory
- Getting the standard Firefox logo - How to get back that orange-blue look of Firefox
- Integrate Thunderbird and Firefox - Open URL's from Thunderbird and create new mails in Thunderbird from mailto's in Firefox
- Fix Thunderbird Component Problems - How to fix problems caused by missing components in Thunderbird 0.7.3.
- Lightweight firefox with 1.5-like tabs(tabs can be moved) - light but some security implication(non-splited code and huge code)
- Attach files to Thunderbird / Service menu - A small, simple script that is able to attach more than one files on a new composed mail under thunderbird.
- Encrypted GNUcash - How to secure your data in GNUcash (or any other program).
- Openoffice dead keys - How to make openoffice recognize dead keys for accented letters, international keyboard.
- Evolution and no icons - How to get the icons back.
- KWord and Spellcheck - How to get KWord to spellcheck correctly.
- Gaim Autoprofile plugin - Powerful automated status changer
- XMMS/audacious now playing - now-playing Gaim status
- List of Useful Console Applications - A listing of console-based alternative applications that can be run from any computer with an SSH client.
- Adding tags to flac-files with grip
- Make sound work with ALSA and Quake3/Enemy-Territory - How to get the sound working in Quake3 and Enemy-Territory with ALSA.
- Troubleshooting Gstreamer
- Check media files for errors
- Send audio from one card to the other
- MEncoder Tips and Tricks
- Encode Video for IPod
- Encode Video for iAudio/iRiver
- MythTV to DVD - Using nuvexport to create dvds of your favorite shows without commercials
- DVD Ripping for the Hauppauge 350
- Tips and Tricks for dvd::rip
- DVD: Rip, Shrink, and Burn
- Transcode Examples
- HAL DVD and DVDR Links - Make HAL create /media/dvd and /media/dvdr, instead of /media/cdrom and /media/cdrecorder
- DVD Ripping for the Hauppauge 350
- Fix NTFS Permissions - Fix permissions on NTFS formatted filesystems.
- Reiser4 Enabled LiveCD - Use Lxnay's Gentoo RR4 LiveCD.
- Script to Unmount Busy Devices - Manage unmounting of stubborn devices.
- Mounting iso images - How to mount iso files.
- lowercase files and directories
- File starting with dash - How to manipulate files starting with a dash
- Auto Mounting Swap - Simple rc-script to detect and mount swap
- Photo Recovery From Defective Memory Card - How to recover pictures when you cannot mount the disk anymore
- Bootable Floppy with GRUB
- Discover usb devices from dev entries -- If you have /dev/sda, is it your camera or iPod?
- Kernel Configuration - Tips for manually configuring your kernel.
- Kernel Versions - How to retrieve current kernel versions on login.
- Reboot after panic - Reboot after a kernel panic.
- Kernel Autobuild - Script that automatically builds new kernel.
- Upgrading your kernel
- kexec - Loading a new kernel without rebooting
- Core Patterns - An organized way of storing core files.
- Gentoo for Dialup Users - How to maintain your Gentoo system over dialup or without a network connection.
- Networkless Maintenance
- SSH Reverse Tunnel Reverse Tunnelling through firewalls/NAT in SSH
- SSH Socket - Speed up connecting multiple times with SSH
- SSH Limit Logins - Limit which logins be used for SSH connection
- Dual-Homed Gentoo Server - How to use two or more internet connections with separate gateways.
- Jumbo Frames - Adding support for Jumbo Frames (MTU > 1500)
- TIP NFS premount check - check if NFS host is available before actually mount it
- TIP Block an IP - block an IP with iptables
- Adapting conky for gentoo
- Ardour on OSX
- Backup using cron (simple)
- Common Links
- Converting from Debian to Gentoo - How system administration compares in Gentoo to Debian.
- Converting from Fedora to Gentoo - How system administration compares in Gentoo to Fedora.
- Design your own Framebuffer Splash
- Java Installation Help
- Keychain - How to use and setup the keychain program in portage.
- Rox-Filer - Video thumbnails
- Selectively View Config Files - Selectively view entries in config files.
- Toshiba Install Windows
- Gaim account state plugin - Useful tip to make installing this plugin less painful
- Simple snapshot style backup
- Bluetooth Proximity Monitor - Let your computer know when you're near!
- Turn SSHD on from a php page - How to make php turn on sshd for you.
- Make Vivid Color Background Images Easily - Using GIMP, make an excellent backdrop image for your desktop. Very easy to do and fun.
- Chainloading a bootable CD-ROM from GRUB - How to be able to boot a bootable CD-ROM even if your BIOS won't allow or is able to. Avoid messing with the BIOS setup and password protect the CD-ROM boot option.
- Installing Gentoo using USB-CDROM - Using a USB-CDROM can be a hassle since it sometimes tends to timeout before root is mounted.
- Some LiveCD related tips
- Imaging with yet another ghost installer - How to use YAGI
- Force the use of php-4
- Add custom stages to a gentoo cd
- Change mouse hz Make the mouse feel more quick/responsive
- WineTools Install WineTools (Info here)
- Canon Pixma printing guide Guide with ebuilds for the Pixma line of Canon printers
- TIP Convert latin1 to UTF-8 in MySQL Convert latin1 to UTF-8 in MySQL
- Skipping fetch for CVS packages - (Re-)emerge CVS based packages offline.
- Remap Portage Colors
- Using PORTAGE_BINHOST - Download binary packages for portage
- Control revdep-rebuild - Stop binary packages from showing up.
- Euse - Quickly set USE variables
- Download dependencies while compiling - Make good use of bandwidth and CPU, speeding up emerge.
- File is Corrupt or Incomplete - Solve file is corrupt or incomplete (digest does not match) errors.
- Find binary package duplicates - Find and delete unneeded binary package duplicates in /usr/portage/packages.
- Getting total merge time - Get the total time you've spent compiling packages on your computer.
- Gentoolkit - A very helpful Gentoo utility.
- Masking Packages - How to manually mask packages so emerge won't install/upgrade them.
- Installing Specific Packages - Install specific package versions.
- Installing Packages with Reiser4 - Solve problems emerging packages on a Reiser4 partitioned filesystem.
- nice and PORTAGE_NICENESS - Make Portage behave while multitasking.
- No More "sudo emerge" - Save yourself some keystrokes by setting up a Bash alias.
- Portage Overlays - List of various sources to get more ebuilds.
- The /etc/portage/bashrc file - Use one of Portage's lesser known features.
- Portage & the "new use" Feature - Track changes to USE flag settings.
- Watch emerge progress - Install status of a currently emerging package.
- Portage utilities not in portage - Useful utilities not found in the Portage package.
- Providing binary packages - How to provide compiled binary packages via the portage tree
- Specifying only needed locales - Save 90% of the space occupied by locales on your system.
- Tab Completion - Learn about TAB completion.
- Upgrading Portage - Quick overview on how to upgrade portage
- Search Portage Tree Using Regular Expressions
- Portage Server Only - Portage For Server Only Installs - No X Please
- Shutdown after emerge - How to shutdown computer automatically after emerge completes.
- Starting emerge remotely - How to start a compile remotely and have it continue after you logout.
- Making portage use /usr/sbin/sendmail to send out ELOG mails
- Downloading distfiles on another machine - Download packages on a faster network.
- Limit bandwidth while "emerge sync" - make.conf option to limit bandwidth used by rsync.
- Relocating the default portage directory - How to relocate the default portage directory on a live system.
- Exclude categories from emerge sync - Exclude packages and entire categories from updating ebuilds during emerge sync
- emerge sync only one package - Explanation on why this can't be done.
Configuration File Management
- dispatch-conf - A better way to manage configuration files and an alternative to etc-update.
- Colorize Etc-Update & Dispatch-Conf Output - Visualize configuration file differences more easily.
- Dealing with masked packages - How to handle masked packages found in Portage.
- New /etc/portage layout - Details the replacement for singular package.* files within /etc/portage.
- Easy cleaning of /etc/portage/package.keywords
- Regenerate package keywords - Generate a new package.keywords file containing specific version information, based upon the installed packages
- Clean Portage Package Dot Files - Clean /etc/portage/package.use and package.keywords from unnecessary entries
- Unmasking multiple packages for upgrading - Got a lot of packages that need to be unmasked?
- Use ccache - Recompile faster using a compiler cache.
- Speedup portage with Psyco - Using psyco, a python extension, can speedup Portage by factor 2 to 10.
- Speedup portage with tmpfs - Speedup compiling using tmpfs.
- Speeding up portage - Speedup package management by putting portage on its own partition.
- Speedup searches in portage - Greatly improve search speeds in Portage.
- Speedup portage with cdb - Make portage go faster with a database backend.
- Speedup portage with sqlite - Make portage go faster with a database backend.
- ACPI basic configuration
- Adding many users to a group
- AMD64 - x86 distcc - Cross-compiling on AMD64 and x86 (32bit).
- Booting into single user mode
- Fixing Boot Errors
- Boot Floppydisk Image without Floppy using GRUB - How to boot a Floppydisk-Image when no Floppy(-Drive) is availible using GRUB
- CFLAGS matrix - People's experiences with some of the less tested CFLAGS.
- Configuration Files - Where they are and what they do.
- Change Capslock to Control -- some people like this better
- Clean Up Cruft - How to cleanup cruft on your system using Ed Catmur's cruft script.
- Faketoo - How to create a Gentoo install using a chroot jail.
- Fast Copy - How to copy files much faster as opposed to using the 'cp' command.
- Free up disk space in Gentoo
- GCC 4.0 Testing Tips - How to set up a system using GCC 4.0.
- Testing GCC 4.1 - How to set up a system using GCC 4.1.
- Gentoo Init Scripts - Using Gentoo init scripts.
- Install programs without portage - Installing packages which are not in portage - the clean way.
- Link Root to Main User - Rid yourself of the need for root's separate home directory.
- Numlock - Toggle numlock on default.
- Powerdown on "shutdown -h" - How to make your system power down when you issue the command 'shutdown -h'.
- Recommended Packages
- Run a Command on Boot - Automatically execute commands on startup.
- Using Loopback Device - How to utilize free space on your windows box.
- Set your system clock to HC clock at boot - How to automatically have Gentoo set your system clock to the hardware clock's time at boot.
- Setup FQDN - How to get rid of the annoying
Welcome to yourbox.unknown_domain!message.
- Setting Default Browser - Setting the default browser.
- Simple Crontab - Visual structure of crontab.
- Speed Up Your Boot Time - Parallel execution of rc scripts.
- System logging with syslog-ng - Basic configuration.
- Torsmo Tips - Tips using Torsmo.
- Turn off DEV managers
- Using Chroot
- Vary Configuration Files Based on Softlevel
- Fix The Login Security Hole - Two Holes two Fixes. Which One Do You Have?
- Install on Promise Fasttrak S150 TX4 - Install Gentoo (kernel 2.4) on a Promise Fasttrak S150 TX4 using the original driver
Terminals / Shells
- Advanced completion for zsh - Advanced completion for zsh.
- Aliases - Using aliases.
- Bashrc Hints - Manage your Bash history using .bashrc.
- Login issue - An example of /etc/issue to greet you.
- Console Screensaver - How to turn off the terminal screensaver.
- Console Text on the desktop using Eterm - Displaying console text onto your desktop.
- Directories & Files Using the "ls" Command - Distinguish directories from files.
- Files That Begin with a Dash - Dealing with files that start with a dash.
- Fortune on Login - How to make some entertaining writing appear whenever you login to a shell.
- Irssi Init Script - Have irssi load at boot under screen.
- Linux Colours in Aterm & RXVT - A guide to getting Linux console colours in Aterm and RXVT.
- Nano No Auto-wrap - Tired of typing nano -w?
- Newb Commands - The commands all newbies to linux should know.
- No Beep - Turn off your PC's console beep.
- Prompt Magic - Resources about defining bash prompts including colors and styles.
- Recently Changed Files - Find recently changed files.
- Resetting Your Console - Reset your console to its original state.
- Terminal Keyboard Shortcuts - Some useful shortcuts using the CTRL key.
- Tip In ItSelf - It's a template that can contain a collection of orders inside itself.
- Textwrap in Xterm - Setting textwrap in Xterm.
- Fonts in Xterm - Setting fonts in Xterm.
- Tricks Using the "cd" Command - Advanced 'cd' usage commands.
- Using screen - A screen HowTo.
- Exit Status in prompt - Did that previous command succeed?
- Use different colors for files, directories and symlinks
- Using ksh - Get going with korn shell
X Window System
- Changing Gray Startup Background - Get rid of the checkered gray startup background.
- EvilDick's Triple Monitors - Three-monitor X configuration
- Mouse Speed Through Command Line - Set Mouse Speed Through Command Line.
- Removing The Nvidia Logo - Turn off the Nvidia logo during X Server bootup.
- Switching between the nv free driver and the 3D nVidia driver - You want to switch at boot time between those 2 drivers.
- Speak Your Language - Get Gentoo to work under your native language.
- Screenshots using the Printscreen Key - Get some extra mileage from your keyboard.
- Xorg X11 & Transparencies - Set transparency in X.Org.
- Gentoo's nice prompt on graphical terminals - Do you wonder why you get bash-2.05b$ instead of Gentoo's nice prompt ?
- Activate wheelmouse support in Xorg - For those who always forget how to do it...
- TIP Run Commands at X Startup - Need to run xmodmap automatically?
- General Window Manager on your system - If you want all users to have the same default Window Manager
- Getting modelines - Getting modelines the easy way (no calculations involved ;))
- Xorg.conf tips Ever want to use that scroll wheel on your mouse?
- Run XOrg 7.1 with 8756 or older NVidia drivers Running XOrg 7.1 with drivers 8756 or older.
- KDE Screensaver Access - Enable Non-root to access kscreensavers
- Flashing IM Windows in Gnome Panel - Make tasks flash when the XUrgency Hint is applied.
- FVWM Advanced
- FVWM Man Pages Menu
- Resetting Kmenu - Reset Kmenu.
- Run Multiple Instances of KDM - Make tty7 & tty8 run KDM.
- Screensaver in Background - Use your screensaver as your login background.
- Make KDE look more like XFCE - Simple KDE settings that make KDE look like popular fluxbox or XFCE.
- Setting up the D-BUS Session Bus with KDM (Without hacking anything in /usr)
- Show/Hide the ROX-panel (Smart way of displaying or hiding the ROX-panel)
- gmail-notify - Do you want to track new mail arrival? Add notification icon to system tray!
- Change GTK Theme without using Gnome