Re: [SLE] DHCP and USB issues with 8.1 pro (help please?)

From: Chris (gch_at_multiweb.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 22:44:32 CEST

    Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:44:32 +0200
    From: Chris <gch@multiweb.nl>
    Subject: Re: [SLE] DHCP and USB issues with 8.1 pro (help please?)

    Antonio Farinetti wrote:

    > By that, you would think that it was working, but NO! Every time (With 2
    > seperate network cards even) It cannot get my ip address from the campus
    > DHCP server. I know that both cards work, because I am e-mailing you from
    > windows 2000 on the same computer.

    I was having problems too with getting an ip address, but i'm not sure
    if my solution would work for you too, i'm NOT an expert on this (to say
    the least).

    Like i said i couldn't get an ip address and when starting up gnome
    gnome complaint about not beenable to get an valid hostname or something
    like that and some programs seem to took ages to load, i remember having
    trouble like this with mandrake 8.0 (i think) and at that time i never
    figured out what to do, anyway in suse 8.0 my hostname was "linux" by
    default and in suse 8.1 my hostname was some ip adress, witch was
    strange because at startup i couldn't get any, so i thought maby this
    has something to do with it so i started up yast2 and went to
    system->editor for etc/sysconfig->network->dhcp and changed
    DHCLIENT_SET_HOSTNAME to NO, and all is well now (don't ask me why).

    Good luck,

    Chris.