Download PowerMax 4.23
- File Name: PwrMxEn.exe
- File Download Size: 1.03 MB
- File Version: 4.23
- Revision Date: 07/27/06
- Compatible Operating Systems:
,Windows XP Home Edition
,Windows XP Professional
This is the English version of PowerMax. The following languages are also available:
Download the Brazilian Portuguese version.
Download the Spanish version.
The PowerMax utility is designed to perform diagnostic read/write verifications on Maxtor and Quantum hard drives. These tests will determine hard drive integrity. The PowerMax utility is effective on all ATA (IDE) hard drives with a capacity greater than or equal to 500 MB. Maxtor recommends the use of this utility for troubleshooting potential hard drive problems. These problems include, but are not limited to the following:
- Potential hard drive surface problems (e.g., bad clusters, bad sectors, partitioning/formatting problems, etc.).
- Drive recognition problems (e.g. hard drive that is not recognized by the operating system).
- Software removal.
Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate system, or controller for diagnosis. Please check the PowerMax download page periodically for updates. Beginning September 1st 2006 all versions of PowerMax prior to v4.23 will no longer be supported. Maxtor recommends that you update to version 4.23 before testing your hard disk.
It is recommended to run PowerMax on all Maxtor SATA/ATA hard drives prior to warranty replacement.
Step-by-Step Instructions - Downloading PowerMax
NOTE: The PowerMax download is a self-extracting file.
- After downloading to your Windows desktop, insert a clean formatted floppy diskette into your A:\ drive.
- Double-click on the PowerMax diskette creator icon.
- When the Maxtor pop-up screen displays, click on the "Create Floppy" option.
The files will extract on to the floppy diskette, creating a bootable version of the PowerMax utility. Do not download PowerMax directly to a floppy. PowerMax extracts from a Win32 environment only and will not extract from 16-bit DOS mode.
WARNING: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST WHEN PERFORMING THE LOW LEVEL FORMAT QUICK OR FULL OPTIONS.
Maxtor recommends that users backup all critical data and removing other hard drives before performing this test.
System Boot and Test Initialization
- After extracting the PowerMax files to the floppy diskette, restart Windows with the PowerMax floppy in the A:\ drive.
- When the system restarts it will boot to the PowerMax diagnostic program
NOTE: PowerMax does not run from within Windows 95, 98/ME, NT, 2000, or XP. Do not try to run the utility from an MS-DOS prompt window.
For additional information please refer to the PowerMax User Guide (PDF format).