Jump to page content

Shropshire Routes to Roots

www.shropshireroots.org.uk

Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital: Timeline

Year Day National Event Local Event
1857 28th June   Robert Jones is born in Rhyl, North Wales
1867 31st December   Agnes Gwendoline Hunt is born at Boreatton Park, Baschurch, Shropshire
1887     Agnes Hunt begins her training as a nurse at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Rhyl
1891     Agnes Hunt qualifies as a nurse at the Salop Infirmary in Shrewsbury
1900 1st October   Florence House in Baschurch, is opened by Agnes Hunt and Emily Goodford, as a convalescent home for children
1903     Agnes Hunt visits the surgeon, Robert Jones, in Liverpool with the pain and discomfort that she is experiencing in her hip
1904     Robert Jones becomes the Honorary Surgeon at Agnes's Baschurch Convalescent Home for Children
1907     An operating theatre is built at the Baschurch Convalescent Home
1913     X-Ray facilities are installed at the Baschurch Home
1914   The First World War begins Agnes's Baschurch Convalescent Home is asked to act as Rest Home for wounded soldiers
1916     Florence House at Baschurch is now full of wounded soldiers and later in 1916, becomes an auxiliary military hospital
1917     Robert Jones receives a knighthood for his work in Orthopaedics
1918   The First World War ends Agnes Hunt receives the Royal Red Cross and the After Care scheme for patients of the Home is officially launched
1920 21st February   Agnes Hunt's good friend and the co-founder of the Baschurch Home, Emily 'Goody' Goodford dies
1920     The first patients are transferred from the Baschurch Home, to a new hospital formerly Park Hall Military Hospital, near Oswestry
1921 5th August   The new hospital is officially opened and called, 'The Shropshire Orthopaedic Hospital'
1926     Agnes Hunt is made a Dame Commander of the British Empire
1927     The Derwen Cripples' Training College is founded
1928     Agnes Hunt retires from nursing due to health problems
1933 14th January   Sir Robert Jones dies, aged 75. The hospital is subsequently renamed as 'The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital'
1939   The Second World War begins The hospital is registered under the Ministry of Health Emergency Medical Service and begins to admit military patients
1944 June Normandy Landings The hospital sees an increase in the number of soldiers it is treating, particularly in the days and weeks after the Normandy landings
1945   The Second World War ends  
1948 January   A fire breaks out in the Dispensary department and large section of the hospital is destroyed
1948 5th July   The hospital is incorporated into the NHS
1948 24th July   Dame Agnes Hunt dies aged 80
1948 September-November   A typhoid outbreak hits the hospital's patients and staff. 7 people die
1952     Four new wards are opened at the hospital, to replace those damaged by the fire in 1948
1961     The hospital's League of Friends is founded
1966     The Midland Centre for Spinal Injuries is established at the hospital
1971     The Institute of Orthopaedics is opened
1978     The first Professor of Orthopaedics based at Oswestry is appointed
1987     The official opening of the Centre for Spinal Studies is held
1991     £7 million operating theatres and ward block are completed
1994 1st April   The hospital becomes a self-governing National Health Service Trust
1996     The Leopold Muller Arthritis Research Centre is opened
2000 1st October   The hospital celebrates the centenary of its foundation

Close This Window
(Alternatively, use the close button on your browser)


If you came here from outside the Shropshire Routes to Roots website, and would like to open the page to which this 'popup' is related: Go