Freman College began its life on
September 1st, 1999, marking a new era in education in the Buntingford
It took over from the highly successful Ward
Freman School, opened in 1970, which enhanced its reputation
rapidly through the next thirty years. By 1999 the school was
attracting students from a wide geographical area from all points
of the compass, including Royston, Stevenage, Ware and the villages
between, so that one third of its students came from beyond
the traditional catchment area.
Prior to 1970, Buntingford was served by Buntingford
Secondary School, a secondary modern which began its life between
the two world wars. The first secondary school in Buntingford
was founded in the seventeenth century. It was known as Buntingford
Grammar School, and the first recorded benefactor was Elizabeth
Freman. Her endowment in 1633 ensured its continuance throughout
the sixteenth century. Its most famous pupil was Seth Ward,
who pursued a distinguished career in the church and in mathematics,
culminating in the Bishopric of Salisbury in 1667. He further
endowed the Grammar School which survived until 1900. Bishop
Ward is commemorated in the town by the almshouses.
The college is built on land belonging to the
Ward Freman School produced many talented and
successful citizens and the new logo for Freman College was
designed by one of them.