|Army Commander Commodore Frank Bainimarama in the press conference|
The Commander of the Fiji Military Forces and the acting President Commodore Frank Bainimarama has today handed back executive authority to the Tui Vuda Ratu Josefa Iloilo Vatu.
|Ratu Josefa Iloilo|
Commodore Frank Bainimarama says that he had taken up the role of presidency because he could not conduct the clean up campaign in his capacity as the commodore.
Bainimarama than outlined the reason as to why he had to take over as president so as to rid corrupt practices and corrupt senior government officials.
The Commodore also reiterates that he had no choice but to conduct the clean up campaign as the ousted Prime Minister had refused to see the President on December 5th fearing that he would be asked to resign.
In his address, he also confirmed that the caretaker Prime Minister Dr Jona has handed in his resignation letter to the president as of this morning.
Meanwhile in his determination to rid the country of corruption Commodore Bainimarama has appointed Hector Hatch as the new Public service Commission Chairman replacing Stuart Huggert.
Commodore Bainimarama has also removed the chairman of Fiji Pine LTd Navi Naisoro and has ordered the Ministry of fisheries and forestry to carry out an inquiry into the Fiji Pine Board Limited.
1) The persistence and deliberate involvement of persons supporting the unlawful removal of government in 2000 in the Qarase Led SDL Government.
This includes the government after the 2001 and 2006 elections.
2) The double speak of the SDL government on the one hand saying they supported the law and on the other create or facilitating of coup convicts on extra mural or compulsory supervision orders without substantial reasoning this actions made a mockery of the our justice system and fundamentally undermined the integrity of the justice system and the rule of law.
3) The continued appointment those tainted by the events of 2000 to diplomatic and senior government positions
4) The failure of the Police to investigate all the shadowy figures behind the 2000 coup including qarase who requested me to remove the president and despite this request the police still wanted to investigate me and my officers and the RFMF as a whole.
5) The Politicization of the Prisons services
6) The regular visits by government officials to Korovou Prison to meet prisoners who supported the illegal take over in 200 and the mutiny some of these prisoners are accorded special privileges and referred to as cultural advisors in prisons.
7) The Racist and the inciteful speeches made by SDL parliamentarians that were not checked by Laisenia Qarase
Of this speeches cost fear and tension with the minority.
We also noted with great concern the increased incidences in sacrileges with the minority.
8) Repeated acts and incidence of government and civil servants corruption including SDL politicians those involved continue to be members of the cabinet those holding senior government positions.
The growing cycle of corruption also involves the unhealthy influence of certain businessmen and women in government of mental decision making process
10) The failure of the SDL led government to pass any corruption legislation in the past five years despite repeated acts of corruption which has undermined the very foundation of our civil service and institutions and the economy.
11) The determination by the Qarase led government to pass acts of parliament which would have inevitably increased the indigenous Fijian nationalism and led to dispute between the provinces indigenous Fijians themselves. Create ethnic tension undermine the rule of law and the independence of our constitutional office including the judiciary.
12) The exclusion of the RFMF from the National Security Council but the repeated inclusion of the Fiji Police Force which indicated a refusal to hear military point of view on security and governance issue.
13) The manipulation of the criminal justice system for political reasons the investigation against me and my men rose from one of the National Security Council decision and not from the independent thinking of the Police Commissioner.
14) In reference to the use of the regional forces to try and solve our own internal problems.
15) The threat of an Australian invasion as shown by the inciteful and the hostile remarks by Alex Downer the unexplained presence of the Australian Defense Force helicopter near Fiji's EEZ and the frequent reference to the BIKATAWA agreement.
16) The consideration of foreign intervention was viewed to be a serious threat to sovereignty and independence it will always resist.
Audio of Army Commander Commodore Frank Bainimarama's National Address
Army Commander Commodore Frank Bainimarama's Handover Speech
Send your thoughts to
this story in the forum
Top of Page