Rhinebeck Village Walking Tour
by Marilyn S. Hatch for the Rhinebeck Chamber of Commer
the Village of Rhinebeck was recognized and placed on the National Register of
Historic Places for its cohesiveness as a built environment as well as its state of
preservation. Rhinebeck is rare because it has succeeded in preserving the delicate
balance between its historic ambiance and a thriving economy to support its historic
As you tour through the village you will see a
collection of varying architectural styles from late 18th through the early 20th century.
Rhinebeck's charm, however, is not found only in the architectural detailing of its
buildings, but in the supporting environment of the streetscapes, with large shade trees,
blue stone walks, hitching posts, carriage stepping stones, well houses, period fences,
barns, carriage houses, and, outhouses.
Two tours are included in this brochure beginning
at or near the Chamber of Commerce information booth on Mill St. Each tour takes a
leisurely one hour and a half hours. A one-day visitor might do Tour I in the A.M., lunch
at a local restaurant, and proceed to Tour II in the afternoon.
TOUR I | TOUR II
Starting across from the Chamber of Commerce Information Center.
14 Mill St., 1939 Rhinebeck Post Office. WPA
Project under Franklin D. Roosevelt, replicates the first home built in the area by
Hendrick Kip. The interior exhibits tell the story and show artifacts of the original
building. Murals, by local artist Olin Dows depict history of the Town of Rhinebeck.
Walking south on Mill St.
- 23 Mill St., c. 1800 Frost Law Office. Two
story turn of the 19th century residential architecture with distinguishing features of a
delicate molded cornice, half round decoration, 8/12 and 12/12 windows, paneled door and
transom with lead tracery.
Turn left onto South St. (South St. was
originally the Sapasco Trail running from the Hudson River to Connecticut. The north and
south Post Rd. intersected it on the Rhinebeck "flatts" c. 1700.)
- 1 South St. 1808 Reformed Dutch Church. Early
nineteenth century institutional architecture. All materials were donated for the
construction of the church, the brick being donated by the more affluent members and
placed on the S. and W. sides for public view. N. and E. sides constructed of field stone.
Notable features, multi paned windows, arched doorways, bell tower with working clock
capped with a polygonal cupola. First church built in Rhinebeck. Supported by the
Livingston family a noted local and nationally historic family. Behind the church and
along east side is a graveyard containing 43 American Revolutionary War Veterans.
- 2 South St. c. 1860 Gothic cottage know as the
"Fifteen Gables House." One-and-a-half story building, asymmetrical in plan with
semicircular arched windows and openings.
- 15 South St. 1880 Queen Anne Style.
Substantial and highly decorative two-and -a-half story house with cross gables, elaborate
porch and decorative facing gables.
- 48 South St., (corner of South & Parsonage
Sts.) c. 1840 former parsonage of the Reformed Dutch Church. Substantial two story house
with molded cornice and returns, decorative porch, and 6/6 paned windows.
- South on Parsonage is the Landsman Kill which
supplied multiple mills in the Town and village of Rhinebeck. On the north side of the
Kill is the adaptively reused "Standard Time Laundry", whose owner refused to
alter his business hours to daylight savings time.
Turn left & proceed north on Parsonage St. to
E. Market St. (The Sapasco Trail originally jogged north then east again on what is now W.
Market St. E. Market St was constructed in 1800 as a part of a toll road and joined the
Trail again at the east end of the Village.)
- 110 E. Market St., (corner of E. Market &
Parsonage Sts.) c. 1810 McCarty House. Stephen McCarty was an architect-builder of major
importance to the early Rhinebeck area. His workmanship is noted in the Greek Revival
porch on this Federal style building.
Turn right & proceed east on E. Market.
- 122 E. Market St. c. 1840 Scott School.
Two-story Greek Revival house with temple front, built for Robert Scott, founder of the
Baptist Church in Rhinebeck. He was headmaster of the school, where such people as the
Vassars and the Colgates were taught.
Turning left onto Beech St. one block left onto
Livingston St. (Livingston St. was laid out in the 1830's.)
- 77 Livingston St., 1773 Montgomery
House/Chancellor Livingston DAR building. This building was originally located at 88
Montgomery St., moved in 1864. One time home of Gen. Richard Montgomery, commander of
Northern Continental forces, who died Dec. 31, 1775 in the Battle of Quebec. Note historic
Continue west on Livingston St. to the corner of
Livingston & Mulberry.
- 23 Mulberry St., 1893 Two-and-a-half story
Queen Anne Style house, built from the plans for "the ideal house" at the 1893
Columbian Exposition. Note decorative features of shingle designs, polygonal tower,
decorative windows, and verandah.
- 48 Livingston St., c. 1895 two story three
bay Queen Anne style residence. Decorative molded entrance door surround with sidelights,
second floor has two projecting bays, hip roof, molded cornice and frieze.
- 46 Livingston St., 1875 J. O'Brien house.
Three story Second Empire style house with Mansard roof, gable dormers, decorative
overhang, and tower with iron cresting. Architect, Croft of Saratoga. House built as a
wedding gift for the O'Briens.
Turn left onto Mulberry St. returning to E.
Market St. turn left to second house east of Mulberry St.
- 97 E. Market St., c. 1795. This house was in
place prior to the construction of E. Market St. in 1800. It is a one-and-a-half-story
house with modest detailing. Once the residence of Peter Pultz, owner of the Pultz Tavern
which was located directly across the street. (Note the historical marker in front of 104
E. Market St.)
- 87 E. Market St., c. 1845. This is a
substantial two-story Greek Revival style house which retains its original details. Noted
for its large pediment with molded cornice, the porch with its Corinthian columns and
articulated pilasters, and entrance with sidelights, transom and paneled door.
- 85 E. Market St. c. 1868.
One-and-a-half-story Methodist parish hall with unique Swiss style frieze decoration.
- 83 E. Market St., 1900. Rhinebeck United
Methodist Church, good example of turn of the century ecclesiastical architecture. Built
after the original church building was completely destroyed by fire. Note historical
marker honoring the Rev. Freeborn Garrettson, one of the founders of Methodism in America.
- 88, 86, 84, and 82 E. Market St., c. 1860. A
series of bracketed style cottages, each with a cross gable and decorative front porch,
built by R. Decker. Note the pineapple topped hitching post in front of no.88; symbolizes
- 77 E. Market St., c. 1860. Substantial
three-story house with mansard roof, decorative cornice and porch.
- 75 E. Market St., c. 1840. One of the best
examples of classic Greek Revival houses in the village, built by local architect-builder
- 55 E. Market St. c. 1795. This house was at
this location prior to the construction of Market St. in 1800. Known at one time as the
Schaad bakery. Early federal one-and-a half-story house with 12/12 windows.
- 51 E. Market St., c. 1850. Originally a
livery stable with service to the Rhinecliff dock and train station. Also housed early
telephone and telegraph office.
- 19 E. Market St., c. 1858 Judson Building.
Three-story commercial brick building with highly decorative cast iron sills, lintels, and
- 1. E. Market St., c. 1875. Two-story building
of brick in the Italianate tradition, with heavy cornice and brackets. Once housed the
- 2 - 36 E. Market St., c. 1866/67. This series
of brick commercial buildings with Italinate influences were built after the May 8, 1864
fire that destroyed the south side of Market St.
- 1 Beekman Sq., c.1766 Bogardus Tavern. Oldest
continuously operated Inn in America. Brick and clapboard hotel with federal and 1920
Colonial Revival features. This Inn can boast of many prominent guests. Old documents and
artifacts are exhibited throughout the hotel.
Starting at the corner of W. Market and Montgomery Sts., walking west on W. Market St.
20 & 22 W. Market St. c. 1858 Village Fire
House. Bracketed style brick building that has been adaptively reused as a commercial
building retaining its period architectural details.
- 54 W. Market St., c. 1865 Ambrose Wager house.
Large three/four-story Second Empire style house designed by C.B. Croft of Saratoga.
Property originally owned by Ambrose Wager, prominent citizen and lawyer in Rhinebeck.
- 57 W. Market St., c. 1793 Dr. Hans Kierstead,
1858 "Elmwood", 1867 Wells Estate. Originally a one-and-a-half-story Georgian
style with later Italian Villa style additions.
Return to Montgomery St and walk north.
- 13 Montgomery St., c. 1840 Ambrose Wager law
office / Temperance Hall / Women's Exchange. One room Greek revival style building with
temple front and flush board siding. Note murals above door and show windows.
- 23 Montgomery St., c. 1890 Rhinebeck Savings
Bank. Noted for its balustrade atop the roof, molded brick arches and stone capitals.
- 28 Montgomery St., c.1862 Starr Institute
Building. Brick commercial structure of the Victorian Gothic style. Originally given as a
library and community hall to the citizens of Rhinebeck by Mrs. Starr Miller,
granddaughter of Col. Philip Schuyler, in memory of her husband.
- 37 Montgomery St., c, 1823 & 1890 Baptist
Church. Founded in 1821 by Robert Scott, headmaster of Scott School in the village. The
small Federal style chapel to the north was the original structure. The large shingle
style addition to the south is of the Queen Anne style. Presently an adaptively reused
- 44 Montgomery St., 1844 Delamater House.
Magnificent board and batten Gothic Revival house by A.J. Davis . Built for Henry
Delamater, banker and founder of the First National Bank of Rhinebeck. Has been adaptively
- 47 Montgomery St., 1896 Episcopal Church of
the Messiah. This stone structure is noted for its parapets, gargoyles, Gothic arched
windows and doors, and Tiffany stained glass windows. Architect Stanford White.
- 67 Montgomery St., c. 1910 distinguished
Colonial Revival style house with hip roof, arched dormer, classical recess with door at
second story, wide arched windows, classical porch with decorative balustrade.
- 72 Montgomery St., c.1850. Substantial
two-story bracketed style house, French doors, paneled entrance door with transom and
sidelights, and decorative mid 19th century porch.
- 76 Montgomery St., c. 1858. Large
two-and-a-half-story bracketed style house with Colonial Revival porch.
- 79 Montgomery St., c. 1850 "The
Grove" A bracketed style house noted for its octagonal interior, three sided bays,
cast iron balcony, classical porch, and double entrance door.
- 82 Montgomery St., c. 1830 Episcopal
parsonage. This is a Greek Revival house with classical door surround, five sided
rectangular bracketed style wings and octagonal porch columns.
- 88 Montgomery St., c. 1860. Excellent example
of Colonial Survival which was frequently used in the Mid Hudson Valley. It is
distinguished by its hip roof, twin chimneys, Palladian style window, door surround with
sidelights and transom, and Corinthian porch columns. The Montgomery House at 77
Livingston St. was originally located on this site.
Turn back and return to Chestnut St., turning
east. (Chestnut St. was added in the late 1860's)
- 17 Chestnut St., c.1870. Substantial
two-story residence, with period detailing including elaborate front porch and stained
- 19 Chestnut St., c. 1895 Schell house.
Two-and-a-half-story elaborate Victorian house with Eastlake detailing intact. Noted for
its shingle and cutwork decoration, period porch with Eastlake style spindles, and
original period barn and carriage house.
- 21 Chestnut St., 1900. Excellent example of
Colonial Revival style noted for projecting hip roof, central entrance with flanking
sidelights, projecting rafters decorated to imitate modillion blocks, and porch with
paired classical columns.
- 24 Chestnut St., c. 1865. Mid-nineteenth
century brick structure two-story three bay gable end to the street. Noted for its
simplicity in design throughout with plain stone sills segmental arch lentels, round
center window in the gable end, and classical porch with paneled entrance door flanked
with sidelights and fanlight.
- 31 Chestnut St., c. 1876 Esselstyn house.
Two-story multi-bay structure with asymmetrical plan, elaborate modillion and dental
cornice, decorative sills and pedimented lentels, and period porches with paired square
Turn right onto Mulberry St.
- 27 Mulberry St., c. 1867. Sizable two-story
bracketed style house with Georgian Survival influence seen in the hip roof with
balustrade and symmetrical plan.
- 25 Mulberry St., c. 1880. Bracketed style
house noted for its molded cornice, bracketed frieze with returns, twin arched windows,
heavily molded cornices and bracketed porch.
Turn right onto Livingston St.
- 31 Livingston St., 1842 Third Lutheran
Church. This building burned in 1909 and was rebuilt in the same Greek revival style and
design. Noted for its rectangular plan, centrally placed spire, recessed entrance, and
classical columns which were restored in 1997.
- 23 Livingston St. 1843 Lutheran Parsonage
built by Lewis Marquardt. Purchased in 1901 by Thomas Thompson "for a home for the
sick" A trust in Thompson's name continues to benefit Rhinebeck.