Huge luck today.
The enterprising people at lulu.tv have already done a terrific “best online videos of 2006″ !!
I really, really was about to feel obliged to do one of those.
And NOW I can skip mine, and lazily sit back and judge theirs. Complete with its intelligent classifications and embeddedness and elegant organization.
So here’s what I think of their choices. Go to lulu.tv to check them out!
1. If you like machinima–you know who you are–this is as good as it gets.
2. “Desperate Mousewives.” Too low concept. I like a mash-up that makes a point.
3. “Return of the Rednecks.” Too cinematic, too well thought out, too long.
4. “Monster Rap.” Does NOT “blow ‘Lazy Sunday’ away.”
5. “Imagine This.” WOW. GREAT. But what does it point to? Bush’s secret message of peace? The banality of Lennon’s lyrics?
6. “The Late Nite Mash.” Too many wacky male vloggers with the exact politics of Stephen Colbert.
7. “Fanny.” Love Fanny. Love her busted couch.
8. “Art of the Drink.” Earnest mixology makes a good vlog! When he pours, he reigns. etc.
9. “Star Trek: Infinitive Split!” What do you know. Star Trek gags can still be slightly, slightly funny.
10. “God Bless Americo.” I didn’t laugh, but I could imagine laughing, and the lechy guy is kind of sickly cute.
11. “Anniversary.” My second favorite, after the Bush “Imagine” thing. It’s just dumb and funny. Oh, and allegedly nsfw, but you can probably get away with it unless you work at NARAL.
12. THIS thing is like nothing else. Watch it. On a list by itself.
And at number 13. Lulu’s best overall is a big exploding gross-out gag for the 10-year-olds in the room. Kind of gives new meaning to the word “overall.”
But just watch lulu.tv and decide for yourself! Happy best-of lists!