Welcome to St. Martin's Episcopal Church

St. Martin's Episcopal Church
The History of St. Martin's

September 1, 1952 - St. Martin's was founded by the Rev. J. Thomas Bagby. One hundred twenty-five people attended the first service.

January, 1953 - Accepted as a self-supporting Parish with 263 communicants.

1954 - Four acres of land on Sage Road purchased and the first church building was constructed. This building is now Founders' Hall.

1959 - Large expansion completed with new Chapel, parlor, offices and classrooms. New sanctuary was ready for Easter Sunday services March 29.

September 1, 1962 - 10th Anniversary, St. Martin's had grown to 2,791 baptized members.

125 people attended the first service at this house on Post Oak Road - September 1, 1952


The ground-breaking of the Bagby Parish Hall, which became our new Church home in 1954.


September 1, 1977 - 25th Anniversary, dedication of the Wayside Chapel for All People.

1983 - The Rev. Dr. J. Thomas Bagby retired at the age of 72.

August 28, 1983 - The Rev. Claude E. Payne became the second Rector.

In 1984, "The Vision Awaits Its Time" Capital Campaign was conducted. Major expansion took place, adding our Education Building, Library and Choir Hall.

1986 - The St. Martin's Activity Center was opened.

1993 - The Rev. Claude E. Payne was elected Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.

1994 - The Rev. Laurence A. Gipson, then Dean of the Cathedral of the Advent in Birmingham, Alabama, became the third Rector.

By the 1990s, St. Martin's has become one of the largest Episcopal Churches.

1997 - "Building to Bless Forward in Faith" Capital Campaign for construction of a new Church, Parish Hall, Cloister and playground.

September 8, 2002 - Celebration of St. Martin's first 50 years in the new Bagby Parish Hall. St. Martin's has over 7,000 members.

March 29, 1959 - Easter Sunday - our first service in the 1959 Church.

Our gothic Church was completed in time to celebrate Easter Sunday, 2004.

 
© St. Martin's Episcopal Church
717 Sage Road | Houston, Texas 77056-2199 | (713) 621-3040 | (713) 622-5701 Fax