Above the Stalls on the North side of the Choir is the Organ. This once stood on the screen across the choir and what we now see side by side were originally the East and West faces of the organ case. The Organ was built in 1685 by the finest organ builder of his era, Renatus Harris. Some of his work still survives and is incorporated into the present instrument which was built by Walkers in 1907.
In 1989/90 a major restoration was carried out by N.P. Mander, when the instrument was slightly augmented. The case and pipes are original; the former, which has fine seventeenth century carvings, is possibly by Grinling Gibbons himself or one of his pupils.
Click here for the current specification of the organ
Choir Back to Tour High Altar