Directory Rankings News


Social Networks

College History

Mays Business School Timeline

  • 1876-1920
    • Business education intermingled with mechanical and agricultural programs. Courses included single and double-entry bookkeeping and creamery management.
  • 1920
    • Department of Economics offered business courses.
  • 1921
    • Agricultural Administration programs offered business courses.
    • 1926
    • Formation of accounting and statistics, farm and ranch management, marketing and finance departments.
  • 1946
    • Department of Business and Accounting formed in School of Arts & Sciences. Thomas W. Leland named department head.
    • First master's degree awarded in accounting and statistics.
  • 1953
    • Center for Executive Development established.
  • 1961
    • School of Business Administration formed. Jon E. Pearson becomes head after the retirement of Thomas W. Leland.
  • 1965
    • School of Business departmentalized into programs of study in accounting, business analysis and research, finance, marketing and management.
  • 1966
    • Implementation of the MBA degree
  • 1968
    • College of Business Administration formed. John E. Pearson named dean.
  • 1972
    • College accredited by American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business.
    • First Ph.D. awarded.
  • 1978
    • William V. Muse appointed dean upon the retirement of John E. Pearson.
  • 1980
    • First business career fair.
  • 1983
    • William H. Mobley appointed dean, succeeding Clinton A. Phillips who served as interim dean for one year.
    • Center for Retailing Studies established.
    • Fellows Program created.
  • 1985
    • Center for International Business Studies created.
  • 1987
    • A. Benton Cocanougher becomes dean after interim dean Don Hellriegel serves for one year.
    • Texas Real Estate Center moved to college from College of Agriculture.
    • Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship created.
  • 1989
    • Center for the Management of Information Systems created.
  • 1990
    • Center for Human Resource Management established.
    • Center for International Business funded as a Center for International Business Education and Research.
  • 1991
    • Implementation of the bachelor's in agribusiness degree.1992
    • Development of the Department of Accounting's Professional Program.
    • Outstanding Alumni Awards established.
  • 1994
    • Creation of the Center for the Study of Western Hemispheric Trade.
  • 1995
    • Completion of the college's new home in the Wehner Building.
    • Graduate Business Career Services center created.
  • 1996
    • College endowed by Mr. Lowry Mays, founder and CEO of Clear Channel Communications.
  • 1998
    • Implementation of master's in agribusiness degree.
  • 1999
    • Executive MBA Program accepts first class.
    • Reliant Energy Trading Center founded.
    • College adopts enrollment management for the undergraduate program.
  • 2001
    • Jerry R. Strawser becomes dean upon the retirement of A. Benton Cocanougher.
    • Groundbreaking for the Jerry and Kay Cox Graduate Business Center
  • 2002
    • College renamed to Mays Business School