SwamiRecords.com Forum Index

<  SWAMI GENERAL FORUM  ~  I can't believe I'm the first one to post this. Benefit..

jwr341
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jun 2005 Posts: 472 Location: Fort Collins by way of San Diego
Quote:
On Wednesday January 10th The Heartaches, Beehive and the Barracudas, The Sultans and Mr. Tube and the Flying Objects come together at the Casbah in an effort to raise money for longtime friend and artistic collaborator Marc Gariss (owner of Fourth Project Entertainment). Marc Garris has been a constant fixture in San Diego's underground culture for almost 20 years. From his Bandwagon clothing line and his band Radio Wendy in the early 90's to his current efforts with Fourth Project in filmmaking and graphic design, Marc has helped countless bands make great art for little or no money.

On December 17th the offices of Fourth Project were left in ruins by fire due to circumstances stemming from an adjoining tenant. Everything was lost. Fourth Project did not have insurance.

Those that have benefited from Fourth Project's help and support are now trying to raise money so that Fourth Project can get back on it's feet and continue. Fourth Project's involvement with the local scene serves a vital function that San Diego bands and labels rely on. Therefore, this benefit is not only about helping a dear friend and a fellow member of this cities underground artistic community in need, but it's also about the importance of this cities underground culture coming together and supporting ourselves.

Unfortunately time is of the essence and financial help is needed as soon as possible. Without much time to plan or promote this event we are asking for your understanding and help in spreading the information regarding this benefit show. 100 percent of the proceeds go to Fourth Project.

Bands such as Rocket From The Crypt, No Knife, Hot Snakes, Beehive and the Barracudas, Dan Sartain, The Red Onions, Sin Sin 77, 21st Century Lepers as well as Foundation Skateboards, Atticus Clothing have all benefited from Fourth Projects design and or film work. In addition to these endeavors, Fourth Project also produces underground short films of their own with such titles as Under The Over Pass, Button and work featuring Gariss alter ego Richard Goesinya.

The Fourth Project benefit show takes place at the Casbah Wednesday, January 10th.
The show starts at 9:00pm. 21 and up. The Casbah is located at 2501 Kettner Blvd. 619-232-HELL. Tickets available at the door for $10. People are welcome to donate more at the show.

Appearing: The Heartaches (new record just out on SW@MI Records), Beehive and the Barracudas (first show in almost a year), The Sultans (last show ever! Featuring members of RFTC) and Mr. Tube and the Flying Objects (10 piece low rider rock featuring Pall of Blackheart Procession and 3 Mile Pilot).
There will be a raffle with prizes being given all night from sponsors such as Fallen Footwear, Zero Skateboards, SW@MI Records, Flapping Jip Records, Merch Lackey, Innes Clothing, Dekline Shoes, Foundation Skateboards and others TBA.

Thanks for your help! Please Help And Repost.
The Baron Von Royale
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
this is disturbing on many levels. first off, that really sucks about the fourth project office. second, does this mean no rocket or hot snakes dvd's and third...LAST SULTANS SHOW EVER? WTF!?

this should be on a weekend.
YUCK FOO
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I am equally disturbed. Sorry to hear about that shit Gariss, if you need any help, just ask.

Secondly, The Sultans calling it quits is just the dagger through a hot pile of shit. I thought each of swamis bands got better with the addition of mario, it is sad to hear that all 3 have met their demise.

Wish I had more notice to fly down for probably the best show of 2007.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So is the RFTC Last Show - Ruff cut DVD now the offical DVD? And the Sultans Final show. I hope someone gets this on tape!

Dang.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Posts: 248
To answer a couple inquiries:

As for the RFTC DVD, I don't know the status of the other footage. The audio is still going to be mixed and will accompany the DVD. As for tweaking the editing of the DVD from the "rough cut", I am not sure what we are gonna be able to do.

Hot Snakes DVD (although not coming out anytime real soon) is not affected by this catastrophe.

The Sultans have been on permanent hiatus ever since the last time we played. Mario and his wife had a baby and a couple months after my wife and I had one too. Prior to this I was already thinking of wrapping things up with all the musical endeavors in my life and to simplify things by focusing on one thing at a time. I am no longer interested in playing in different bands and spreading my efforts thinly. So, I came to the realization that I needed to slam the door shut with an intention of permenance so a new musical identity would have room to germinate.
So now, The Sultans play one more time in hopes of helping out our good friend. If it wasn't for this benefit we would not be playing again. It will not be a teary goodbye. I definitely don't want to say we will never EVER play again, but I just don't see it happening. So we are letting everybody know, "hey check it out if you wanna because this is most likely the last time we will be playing". The Sultans do not have the history or the dediction of the other musical endeavors I have preoccupied myself with. That was the intention of the band in the first place. I always thought of the band as a sand castle out of grease and chicken guts and now the tide of blood and seminal fluid will wash us back out to the sinister abyss from where we came.

If you are in the vicinity PLEASE COME OUT and help Fourth Project! That is the real bummer here. We need your money!!! Thanks for spreading the word.
YUCK FOO
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, does anyone know if a paypal thing will be set up for Gariss for those of us out of the vicinity that want to lend a helping hand?

So in the words of Lloyd Christmas, "So you're telling me there's a chance? Yeah! I read ya.". Long Live The Sultans.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
we'll be there for sure - & the 10th is my birthday :)
looking forward to seeing the sultans again

Leeroy.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SW@MI wrote:
To answer a couple inquiries:

As for the RFTC DVD, I don't know the status of the other footage. The audio is still going to be mixed and will accompany the DVD. As for tweaking the editing of the DVD from the "rough cut", I am not sure what we are gonna be able to do.

Hot Snakes DVD (although not coming out anytime real soon) is not affected by this catastrophe.

The Sultans have been on permanent hiatus ever since the last time we played. Mario and his wife had a baby and a couple months after my wife and I had one too. Prior to this I was already thinking of wrapping things up with all the musical endeavors in my life and to simplify things by focusing on one thing at a time. I am no longer interested in playing in different bands and spreading my efforts thinly. So, I came to the realization that I needed to slam the door shut with an intention of permenance so a new musical identity would have room to germinate.
So now, The Sultans play one more time in hopes of helping out our good friend. If it wasn't for this benefit we would not be playing again. It will not be a teary goodbye. I definitely don't want to say we will never EVER play again, but I just don't see it happening. So we are letting everybody know, "hey check it out if you wanna because this is most likely the last time we will be playing". The Sultans do not have the history or the dediction of the other musical endeavors I have preoccupied myself with. That was the intention of the band in the first place. I always thought of the band as a sand castle out of grease and chicken guts and now the tide of blood and seminal fluid will wash us back out to the sinister abyss from where we came.

If you are in the vicinity PLEASE COME OUT and help Fourth Project! That is the real bummer here. We need your money!!! Thanks for spreading the word.

a glimmer of hope shines through.

thanks for letting us know whats going on john. oh and congrats on the baby. both of my kids experienced rocket shows while in the womb and they love music...i can only imagine what kind of musical monster your loins have created!
Savage
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way to preorder tickets for this or should I just camp outside the Casbah after work?
I'll be there for sure to help out Gariss, what awful news.
SW@MI, say it ain't so. Say it ain't so! The new Sultans songs you were playing last year were awesome and I was looking forward to the album or EP that they'd be on. Obviously you have much higher priorities right now and that is completely understandable. If this is your last ever performance on stage, will video cameras be allowed as Myren asked earlier? Thanks for the Sultans!

Now that I think about this, you could put this bill on monthly at the Casbah and raise a lot more money.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait till SW@MI's kid and Mario's kid start a band.

And yes, by all means, everyone who can get to San Diego on the 10th, please come, hear some fine rock n roll and help Gariss out.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
That's terrible news. I'd second the addition of requesting that some sort of Paypal donation be set up for those of us who can't get to the Casbah by the 10th.
In response to the SW@MI's post, I'll reiterate what I've said many times, John, please keep making music in one form or another, even if it's only through releases on SW@MI. You've gotta know there's enough of a market here to justify an occassional release. The return of a Back Off Cupids style? I'd fucking buy that.
Swami
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Posts: 248
yes, advance tickets will be available for $10 through the usual Casbah channels

tickets are $12 at the door
Paul Stanley
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Man that sucks see you guys there.
jwr341
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jun 2005 Posts: 472 Location: Fort Collins by way of San Diego
I know benefits require short notice, but fuck. Given longer time I WOULD fly out to see this.

Oh well. Everyone gang hug Gariss for me.
alan_cohaul
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
That's shitty to hear about Fourth Projects, also shitty to hear about the end of the Sultans, but congrats to the SW@MI on the new baby, and what is a new chapter in his life: family--which takes a helluva lot of dedication right there. I sort of figured that the end of Rocket was because of the desire to move onto something else in life (family, another career like building cars or engines or something), and that Hot Snakes and the Sultans were being axed as well, because music was no longer as much of a priority.

I always thought the the Sultans were a bit of a fun goof off band, so it's not that much of a surprise (and liked how "Shipwrecked" sounded like a continuation of the last era of the Testors in the "Together/ Time is Mine" almost new wave-y period)...and I mean that in the best possible way, because the Sultans also ruled quite ardently.

Is there any way to PayPal some money to this benefit?
schamash
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
is there anyway to donate money to the 4th project online?

also, someone!! please boot the sultans show!!! maybe sell it online & donate the money made from this to the project. i don't care how, just get this show out.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with the other posts that there should definetly be an online donation, because as much as I'd love to be at the show and help out, I can't.
stella (thee psycho)
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 444 Location: Dumpville. Population: You
This is truly sad news and a just a real damn shame. I'll be happy to donate over the interweb from down under if this is an option made available.

As for the SW@MI's message, well I must say it kinda comes as little surprise.
Rock n roll and all that, but family ALWAYS comes first.

John, I love your music and you have one of the most energetic and magnetic auras in rock n roll, and you will come back to it eventually - no doub.t there.

All the best to Gariss and his colleagues, family and friends.
Sounds like a real ripper of a lineup for that show too - whoever goes better have a dance for my sake!

Peace
xx

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:56 am Reply with quote
Great Purge of '06 Victim Joined: 03 Dec 2006 Posts: 314
I'd be willing to give an online donation as well
Jerkish Revenge
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear about the bad news. I can't imagine how much it would suck to lose not only your business (not to mention whatever income it may have generated) but also something you poured your effort and talent into. I feel for you Gariss. My desire to see whatever RFTC footage may have been lost pales in comparison.

Thanks for the update SW@MI. I'm looking forward to hearing whatever happens to come out of the gem in your turban next.