Military


1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment
"Black Lions "

On January 16, 2006 the 1st Battalion 28th Infantry Regiment was reactivated along with the rest of the 4th Brigade, as part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force.

Three US Army Regiments have held the designation "28th Infantry". The first was constituted on January 29th, 1813 and served during the war then in progress with England. The Regiment first saw combat service from December 1901 to January 1904 during the Philippine Insurrection where the Regiment was heavily involved in counter-guerilla operations. During the years 1906-1908, the Regiment, minus one Battalion, performed guard and police duty as part of the American forces of Cuban Occupation.

In 1913, the 28th Infantry was ordered to Texas to assist in guarding the Mexican border against raids by Pancho Villa. Following the entry of the US into WW I, the Regiment was assigned on June 8, 1917 to the First Expeditionary Division which later became the First Infantry Division. On June 29, the men of Company K became the first American combat unit to set foot on European soil at St. Nazair, France.

The 28th Infantry again distinguished itself in combat during WW II. After landing on Utah Beach on July 4, 1944, its first action was an attack to the south to establish a critical bridgehead over the Ay River so that armored divisions could launch a breakout and then attack into Brittany and Northern France. During its ten months of combat, the Regiment played a major part in four allied campaigns - winning three Presidential Unit Citations embroidered Normandy, Bergstein and Stockheim. It captured over 115,000 prisoners of war and vast stores of enemy material.

In 1963, Operation Long Thrust VI deployed 1st BG from Fort Riley, KS to West Germany from where it advanced through Communist East Germany to Berlin, "front line of the Cold War." 1st BG Black Lions were present during President Kennedy's memorable "Ich bin ein Berliner" visit and returned to Fort Riley that year. In 1965, the 1st and 2nd Battalions were deployed to Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division. Early 1970 saw the end of the participation of the 1st and 2nd BNs of the 28th Infantry in this war.

After almost 5 years of combat in South Vietnam, the colors of both BNs were re-deployed to Fort Riley. Two members of the 1st BN, 1LT Gary L. Miller of Co A and CPT Euripides Rubio of HHC were awarded the Medal of Honor, both posthumously, for their heroism.