Alfa Romeo - Driven by Passion
Australia Home Contact Search Sitemap
Home News Promotions Dealers Alfa Ownership History Contact Us Used Cars
 
History
 
Advanced Search | Sitemap

New Alfa Spider

QTronic

 





 Heritage
 1910-1920
 1920-1930
 1930-1940
 1940-1950
 1950-1960
 1960-1970
 1970-1980
 1980-1990
 1990-2000
 2000-2004

1960-1970

Passion

The logo: from 1960 onwards the logo is made of plastic

In February 1961, production of the 100,001st Giulietta is celebrated with the traditional bottle of champagne. The ceremony’s leading lady at Portello is the actress Giulietta Masina.

Of the 2600, it is written: 'With this car it’s easy to go too fast, even without realizing, the exceptional quietness and easy acceleration without apparent effort simply invite the driver to go fast … More than anything else, it feels like being inside a top quality engineering product … The everyday car may have many things going for it, but it has nothing compared to this magic carpet ride' John Belster, Autosport, June 1962.

Alfa Passion, Alfamania: since the end of the war, in Italy and in the rest of the world, various Clubs and Associations have sprung up, uniting aficionados of the brand, and enabling them to share their passion for Alfa Romeos, old and new. RIAR, the Italian Alfa Romeo Registry, starts up in Rome in 1962, bringing together all Alfa cars of historic interest.

The Giulia 1600 Sprint ' Few cars can rival her for the satisfaction she can offer the driver … Driving fatigue goes virtually unnoticed … Driving this car is sheer enjoyment … '

John Belster of Autosport magazine describes the 1750 as follows: '…A typical Alfa Romeo car. Those old enough to have dreamt about the 1750 of the thirties must admit that the new model is more than worthy of bearing the same name'.

1966 is an important date for the Alfa spiders. Alfa Romeo launches a competition to find a name for the 1600 Spider. A certain Mr. Giudobaldo Trionfi of Brescia wins, with his suggestion of the name “Duetto”. In the photo, Alfa Romeo president, Luraghi, is seen presenting him with the keys to the new Spider, the competition prize.

The “Duetto” Spider’s success even stretches across the ocean. In May 1966 three models are loaded onto the ship “Raffaello”, to be transported for launch in the United States. The car even becomes a “star” of American cinema, in the celebrated Nike Nichols film “The Graduate”, starring Dustin Hoffman, made in 1967. In the USA a “Graduate” version of the Duetto is also put on sale.

The Cars

The Giulia

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1962-1976
ENGINE: 4 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:   1570 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 98-102 bhp at 5500 rpm.
TOP SPEED: over 165 Km/hr

“Sculpted by the wind”. The Giulia Saloon 1600, with its new and surprising shortened-tail style and its Sprint and Spider versions, launched simultaneously in 1962 at the Autodrome in Monza, are both high performance cars. Both for their mechanical content and their bodywork, they represent a compendium of cutting-edge solutions that earn the most flattering praise of technicians and public alike. The 1750 cc engine has a structure identical to that on the Giulietta, and is endowed with tremendous power. Designed for long motorway journeys at high speed and to give greater maneuverability in city traffic. For this high performance car, the designers really stretch the limits of style and potential. The most famous sporting versions are the TZ and the GTA. The TZ, Zagato’s racing version, is a success both on the road and on the track. But the real bomb is the GTA, with its aluminum doors and bonnet, created to take part in Touring category competitions.

The T.I. Super

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1963-1964
ENGINE: 4 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:  1570 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 112 bhp at 6500 rpm.
TOP SPEED: over 185 Km/hr

This car was presented to the press on the Monza circuit on 24 April 1936. This car, which is the sporting version, sees the already outstanding performance of the Giulia T.I. considerably improved upon by the use of the engine from the Giulia SS. The floor transmission, split wrap-around front seats, light-alloy wheels, large-diameter circular instruments on the dashboard, and three-spoke light steering wheel, are the perfect complements to the car’s sporting performance. The sides and tail are decorated wit the characteristic clover design.

The Giulia TZ

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1963 (1965) -1967
ENGINE: 4 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:  1570 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 112 bhp at 6500 rpm. (170 bhp at 7500 rpm)
TOP SPEED: over 215 Km/hr

This car was conceived in 1959 to replace the SZ, using most of the series assemblies. Work on it began in 1960 and the first road trials were conducted in 1961; it was a long time, however, before it reached production line, because precedence was given to the new Giulia and 2600 models.
It was put on sale in 1963 with a 112 bhp engine identical to the one on the Sprint Special: this engine was then further developed for participation in Grand Touring Category races.
After its sporting debut in minor races, the Giulia TZ was immediately able to make its mark in demanding races such as the FISA Cup in Monza in 1963, at the Sebring 12-hour race, the 48th Targa Florio, the 1000 Km Nurburgring, the Le Mans 24-hour race, the Tour of France, the Coupe des Alpes, and the Tour of Corsica. These victories confirm the great class of a car suitable not only for track racing, but also for more demanding road circuits.

THE GTAs

“A victory a day with the everyday car”. Created in 1965, a masterpiece by Bertone, in collaboration with Giugiaro. While it keeps the identical external form of the Giulia Sprint GT, the GTA (Gran Turismo Alleggerita) has a lighter body because of its riveted aluminum paneling and 1600 engine with a new twin-ignition cylinder head. It is particularly suited to sporting customers, given its sparkling performance. From this moment on, the Giulia Sprint GTA wins everything there is to win: Alfa Romeo wins the European Challenge in 1966, 1967 and 1968. Later an engine derived from the 1750 with capacity increased to 2000 is mounted on this model, with indirect injection and twin-ignition. The car is called the GT GTAm, and is capable of developing 220 horse-power and reaching a top speed of 240 Km/hr. Alfa’s sporting range is further enhanced in 1969 with the addition of the Junior 1300 Zagato.

YEAR OF PRODUCTION:
Giulia Sprint GTA: 1965-1969
GTA 1300 Junior: 1968 –1973
GT Am 1750–2000: 1970-1971, Am stands for America because it is derived from the USA injection version of the GT 1750

ENGINE:
Giulia Sprint GTA: 6 cylinders in line, single engine block
GTA 1300 Junior: 4 in line – double ignition
GTAm 1750–2000: 4 in line – double ignition

ENGINE CAPACITY: 
Giulia Sprint GTA: 1570 cc
GTA 1300 Junior: 1290 cc
GTAm 1750–2000: 1985 cc

POWER OUTPUT:
Giulia Sprint GTA: 115 bhp at 6000 rpm.
GTA 1300 Junior: 96 bhp at 6000 rpm.
GTAm 1750–2000: 195-220 bhp SAE at 7200 rpm.(1970); 210-240 bhp SAE at 7500 rpm (1971)

TOP SPEED:
Giulia Sprint GTA: over 185 Km/hr
GTA 1300 Junior: 175-210 Km/hr
GTAm 1750–2000: 220-230 Km/hr


The “Duetto” Spider

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1966-1967
ENGINE: 4 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:  cc 2443
POWER OUTPUT: 109 bhp at 6000 rpm.
TOP SPEED: over 185 Km/hr

A legend. The last stylistic effort by Battista Pininfarina, the 1600 Spider, using the same mechanics as the Giulia, is launched at the 36th Geneva Motor Show in 1966. With its highly original cuttlefish bone tail and convex sides, it is one of the most representative of the Alfa spider models. The car also claims another first – it is the Alfa Romeo with the most-staying power, remaining in production for no fewer than 26 years, even if production was interrupted for a period for a polish. In 1966 Alfa Romeo launches a competition to give it a name: the name “Duetto” wins but enthusiasts prefer to call it the “1600 spider”.
The enhanced 1750 GT Veloce engine mounted on the Pininfarina spider enables it to improve its already outstanding performance and incorporate improved mechanical components, including the double braking circuit, used from 1970 together with the new short-tail bodyshell, with its dynamic and sporting profile. The cuttlefish bone form is abandoned.


The 2600

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1962-1968
ENGINE: 6 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:   2584 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 130 bhp at 5900 rpm.
TOP SPEED: 175 Km/hr

High class and elegant style. The 2600 is launched at the Geneva Motor Show in Saloon, Sprint and Spider versions. The 6-cylinder 2584 cc engine, powerful and elastic, has a 5-speed synchronized transmission, and the car boasts excellent roadholding combined with an appropriate braking system, making the car completely safe to drive. The classy and elegant 2600 Saloon can accommodate six people in comfort. The 2600 Sprint, elegantly designed by Bertone, ensures high performance for even the most demanding customers, with a top speed of 200 Km/hr. The 2600 Spider, with Touring bodywork, has a double overlapping rows of lights, and comes with either a soft-top or a rigid roof, to transform the car into a coupé. Behind the two front seats there are two extra seats. In 1965 Alfa Romeo presents the 2600 SZ (Sprint Zagato) version at the Frankfurt Motor Show with many improvements in terms of the quality of materials used, the number of accessories and the finish. The main improvements include the three-piece stainless steel front and rear bumpers for the exterior, and a new dashboard with wooden trim, grip handles for the passengers, and new-structure folding seats for the interior.

The 1750

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1967-1972
ENGINE: 4 cylinders in line
ENGINE CAPACITY:   1779 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 118 bhp at 5500 rpm.
TOP SPEED: over 180 Km/hr

A car with an auspicious name. The name '1750' comes as a tribute to the memory of Vittorio Jano and his fabulous 1750 from the thirties. It is brand new for 1968, replacing the Giulia saloon and designed to offer mature customers superior performance and tremendous reserves of power, combined with high-class comfort. The newly designed bodywork is very sleek: its sides leave space for a spacious luggage compartment and a bonnet large enough to accommodate a large engine, and create a compact and aerodynamic form. It makes a victorious debut at the Francorchamps 24-hour race with four cars starting the race and all four arriving at the finish line to claim the first four overall places for production Touring cars. The Saloon 1750 is launched at the Turin Motor Show in 1970, with some innovations, introduced from 1970 on, including the double braking circuit, iodine lights, fully dropping windscreen wipers, and top-hinged brake and clutch pedals..

THE 33/2 liter

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1967-1969
ENGINE: rear, 8 cylinders at 90°-V  - double ignition
ENGINE CAPACITY:   1995 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 270 bhp at 9600 rpm.
TOP SPEED: 298 Km/hr

Among the Alfa Romeo competition cars, the 33 is the second after the 512 of 1940 (which was never used for races) to have a rear-mounted engine. As well as the new engine, with 8 cylinders at a 90o-V, combined in a single unit with the gearbox and articulated axle, the chassis is completely original, being inspired by aeronautical design, and making the car lighter. The chassis is constructed of three aluminum tubes, 200 mm in diameter, in the shape of an asymmetric H, holding the rubber fuel tank. The first version, nicknamed the “periscope” because of its prominent air inlet, makes its debut on 12 March 1967 at the Fleron uphill race, in Belgium, where it comes away with a convincing victory. In 1968 the road version is also produced with a two-liter 8-cylinder engine and a light alloy coupé body. It wins 1st and 2nd place in its class at Daytona and in the same year goes on to claim 15 overall victories and 6 category victories. In 1969 the 33/2-liter goes on to win 14 first places overall and 13 class victories. 1970 sees the 33/3-liter start out in international competition.

The 33/3 liter

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1969-1972
ENGINE: 8 cylinders at 90°-V
ENGINE CAPACITY:   2998 cc
POWER OUTPUT: 400 bhp at 9000 rpm.
TOP SPEED: 310 Km/hr (1969-70), 330 Km/hr (1971-72)

The model differs from the previous 33/2 liter mainly for its chassis, which is made of hollow Avional metal sheets with titanium elements. The new engine delivers 400 bhp at 9000 rpm, while the 6-speed transmission is placed just behind the 15” rear wheels. It makes its debut in 1969 and in the same year the car claims first place overall at Zeltweg and at Enna. In 1971 the engine capacity is increased to 420 bhp, the transmission is overhauled as a 5-speed with front teeth, the front wheels are reduced to 13” and the car’s weight is reduced from 700 to 650 Kg. The 3-liter car gains important race victories. In the same year a new version called the 33/3 TT is produced, with an aluminum alloy tubular chassis, the driver’s position placed well forward, a 440 bhp engine, and 13” wheels also at the rear. With this model Alfa Romeo wins second place in 1972 in the World Constructors Championship.

Racing

1963

Ladies Rally, France. First in the category is a Mrs. Martin in an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint.

Auto Delta Spa is constituted:
Auto-Delta was created on 5 March 1963, with the aim of preparing Alfa Romeo cars for participation in international championships.
With the construction of the Giulia TZ, Autodelta quickly establishes itself as a technological leader, and has been Alfa Romeo’s advanced experimentation department for over twenty years, in all classes of race driving, including Formula 1.
Among its inventions and innovations, Autodelta is responsible for the development of alcohol engines, the first diesel engine for Alfa Romeo (the Giulia with a Perkins engine), the Spica injection pump, use of a dry crankcase on production engines, the creation of prototypes and later models of the first road cars with turbocharged petrol engines, the development of the SUV concept in the Seventies on an Alfasud SW base. Its most important achievements also include the Coupé Sprint V6 with rear-mounted engine and five-speed longitudinal transmission, braking system with two calipers on the same disc, the first example of a safety fuel tank, and the aerodynamic underbody.
Autodelta was also the first to use titanium for suspension linkages, and was the first to introduce the pressed aluminum suspension rods that are used today on all the most sophisticated production cars.
Autodelta has also developed numerous marine engines, and has achieved tremendous results in specialist World Championship races.

1964
The Giulia TI Super provides some of the most important victories in the Touring Championship. In the final stage of the Lordelo circuit (Oporto), in front of 15,000 spectators, Andrea De Adamich, in a Giulia TI Super, wins outright overall victory ahead of Oracio Macedo’s Ferrari.
At the International Touring Grand Prix, in Argentina (the race that replaced the famous "Carrera") the Giulia TI finishes fifth overall after an extremely demanding race over six stages (out of 300 entrants, only 61 reach the finish-line) over a distance of 4800 Km on some of the most punishing roads in the world.

1966

Alfa Romeo resumes official race participation with Autodelta. In Touring competitions, the adventure begins for the GTA 1600, which, with Andrea De Adamich at the wheel, wins the European Challenge, dominating the Monza 4-hour race, the Snetterton 500 Km race, the Nurburgring 6-hour race, and the Zandvoort GP.
The TZ1 (TZ stands for Tubular Zagato), along with the more competitive version, the TZ2, dominate the 1600 class in the world constructors championship.

1967

The GTA 1600 with Andrea De Adamich once again becomes European Champion, beating the likes of Porsche, BMW, and Ford. There is success also for the GTA in Belgium at Zolder, at the English Tourist Trophy, at Budapest and at the Nurburgring 6-hour race.
The new Sport 2000, the 33/2-liter, makes a winning debut at the Fléron uphill race, in Belgium, with Teodoro Zeccoli behind the wheel.

1968

Alfa Romeo enters the world constructors championship, with extremely satisfying results: the 33/2 liter cars stroll home in the Daytona 24-hour race and win the 2 liter class at the Nurburgring 1000 Km race, with Mario Casoni, and the Imola 500 km race.

1969

The 33/3-liter makes its official debut at the Sebring 12-hour race with three teams. The 3 liter, 8 cylinder V engine is important for a particular reason: it means taking yet another step towards Formula 1: Grand Prix regulations had in fact changed in 1966, setting an engine capacity of 3000 cc.

1970

The 33/3, with De Adamich at the wheel, takes first place at the Zeltweg 1000 Km, while Alfa Romeo sees another Touring car make a winning debut in the European Championship: it is the “GTAm” 2 liter, with Tony Hezemans as the lead driver. Autodelta displays a healthy interest in Formula 1 and seals an agreement to provide engines to McLaren.

Personalities

C. Chiti

A racing car designer, from Pistoia in Tuscany, he graduated in aeronautical engineering at Pisa in 1951. His creations helped Alfa Romeo to recover its great sporting tradition. Chiti joins the Alfa Romeo special experimentation department in 1952, and later joins Ferrari in 1957 where he creates the first single–seater with rear-mounted engine, which wins the 1961 world championship with Phil Hill. At Ferrari, Chiti introduces “spoilers” for the first time on racing cars, which later become stabilizers. He returns to Alfa Romeo and in 1964 founds Autodelta (the Alfa racing department), which breathes new life into the company’s racing tradition and in 1966 becomes part of Alfa. He leaves Alfa Romeo in 1985.

A. De Adamich

The main figure of Alfa Romeo’s sporting return in Touring and Sport races, Andrea De Adamich was born in Trieste in 1941. He makes his debut in 1964 in a “Giulia Ti Quadrifoglio” for the Jolly Club. He wins the European Touring Championship in the 1600 GTA in both 1966 and 1967, and with Autodelta he switches from Touring to the World Constructors Championship. In 1970 he wins at the Buenos Aires 1000 km  race in a “33-3 liter”, and in 1971, along with Piers Courage, he wins two races counting towards the World Constructors Championship, at Brands Hatch and at Watkins Glen. He races with Alfa until 1974.

The Company

After calling a halt to the large saloons, Alfa concentrates production on the Giulietta range and two top-performing versions appear: the SS, with an aerodynamic body designed by Bertone, and an SZ racing saloon with the characteristic “soap bar” shape, designed by Zagato. In 1960 construction begins on a new factory in Arese, which opens in 1963. The first car produced is the Giulia, which sells over a million models in its various versions. In 1964 Autodelta is created, under the direction of Carlo Chiti, which develops racing cars based on production models or develops brand new ones. These are important years for Alfa Romeo, which consolidates both its image and commercial position. The Giulia GTA (Gran Turismo Alleggerita) is specially produced for the 1965 touring competitions, with aluminum doors and bonnets. A new model based on the mechanics of the Giulia, with a body designed by Pininfarina, replaces the spider. This model is the Duetto, with its surprising cuttlefish bone shape. In touring competitions the GTA distinguishes itself, while in sport competitions the 33 does likewise, and the production side thrives on these sporting successes. As part of a national industrialization program for the south, the Alfasud factory is built at Pomigliano d’Arco. In 1970 Autodelta collaborates with McLaren, providing a 8V 3000 engine to be used for Formula 1. It is also the year of the Montreal, Bertone’s dream for the World Fair in Canada.

 

© Copyright Alfa Romeo 2006 | Privacy Policy | Website design by Enterprise Marketing | Secure Area