UMDStudents.com Index Coming Soon: 99% Less "Hey, Where Did My Long, Thoughtful Post Go?" a nameless gull
Man takes on City Hall, wins.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stang76
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Man takes on City Hall, wins. Reply with quote

It's a shame a 'certain other two news items' have overshadowed the most hellakickassifiedly awesome thing ever.

Quote:
Armed man goes on bulldozer rampage
June 4, 2004

GRANBYA 52-year-old welder nursing a grudge against the town fathers and driving a bulldozer converted into a war machine ripped the heart of this high-country ranching town from its foundations Friday.

Among the structures destroyed or heavily damaged in a relentless 90-minute rampage were Granby's town hall and library, a bank, the town's newspaper, an electric cooperative building, Gambles Store, an excavating business and a house owned by the town's former mayor, as well as a concrete plant adjacent to the business of the man believed responsible for the bizarre assault.

Police fired away during the frenzy of destruction, to no avail.

"He's put armored plates all around it and it's impenetrable,"
said business owner Terri Hertel, her voice trembling as gunfire rattled in the background. "Armor- piercing bullets won't go through it. He's destroying the town of Granby."

All the buildings had a connection to a heated 2000 zoning dispute, which involved the rezoning of land adjacent to the muffler shop of Marvin John Heemeyer, the man authorities identified as responsible for the devastation.

During Heemeyer's nightmarish attack, he shot repeatedly at a number of huge propane tanks at a distributorship with a .50-caliber weapon, authorities said. The apparent attempt to trigger a massive explosion failed.

The episode came to an end about 4:30 p.m. Friday, when Heemeyer's self-styled assault vehicle came to a halt in the attack on Gambles Store and was cornered by emergency responders driving a road grader.

It was not immediately known if Heemeyer was still alive inside the vehicle. Unofficial reports said he had welded the vehicle's door shut.

Jim Holahan, director of emergency services for Grand County, said at one point deputies from the sheriff's special response team were on top of the 53.8-ton Caterpillar D9 Bulldozer, firing at Heemeyer through its jury-rigged viewport.

Remarkably, authorities said, no injuries among townspeople were reported in the incident.

Officials and acquaintances of Heemeyer said his feud dated to his unsuccessful fight in 2000 against the Granby zoning commission's permitting of neighboring property owner Cody Docheff to build a cement batch plant.

Town officials say Heemeyer appealed the decision and even filed suit, but the town prevailed.

On Friday, Heemeyer began his tour of destruction through Granby at the cement plant. Docheff, witnesses said, hopped into a piece of heavy equipment and unsuccessfully tried to battle him to a standstill. Witnesses said they heard gunfire.

Bill Ross, a U.S. Forest Service firefighter who lives in Granby, was heading to get his mail from the post office when he heard what he initially thought was a nail gun firing "pop, pop, pop" at a construction site. He took it more seriously when he heard sirens screaming past him and realized he was hearing shots being fired two blocks away.

"I saw the bulldozer taking down city hall," Ross said. "From a block away, I could see the armor plating. When I saw a tank-looking thing I went home."

Over the years, Heemeyer has tangled with Patrick Brower, editor and publisher of Sky-Hi News, over issues including zoning and gambling.

Brower said he had stayed in the office to try to cover the breaking news story when the bulldozer hit the building.

"It was frightening," said Brower. "I tell you, I was scared for my wife and my son because we live only a fourth of a mile from the newspaper office, and Marv knows where we live. I thought he would drive over there next.

"This is just domestic terrorism is what it is."

Three hours after Heemeyer's spree came to an end, his bulldozer still sat immobile near Gambles, the 50-year-old department store that was the last structure he targeted.

Holahan said about 7:30 p.m. a friend of Heemeyer's was being brought to the scenealthough that person's identity, and the reason, was not known.

Granby officials said Heemeyer blamed them for the demise of his muffler shopwhich he attributed to the result of the zoning dispute. Most of his targeted building are believed to have been owned by, or associated with, people he believed had wronged him.

Heemeyer had discussed plans for his apocalyptic assault over beer and dinner with several acquaintances in Grand Lake late one afternoon in January.

One of those at the table was Bonnie Brown, owner of a Grand Lake business.

"He was talking about the sale of his business, and how he had to pay too much money for it, and how the town was involved in undercutting him, and would charge him excessive taxes and all these other fees that they had not assessed to other people," said Brown.

"He said, 'By God, I am going to bulldoze those businesses,' the businesses of all the people who'd done this to him," Brown recalled.

About 4 p.m. Friday, Brown found out Heemeyer's threats were not idle fantasies.

"When someone came into my store and said, 'There's a madman with a bulldozer in Granby,' I said 'Oh God, that's Marv!'"

Brown said she never imagined Heemeyer was serious.

Brown said she believed Heemeyer just "snapped" because of recent stresses in his life, including a fire that claimed his garage and a beloved snowmobile inside it.

"He's a teddy bear," Brown said. "He's a real lovable, soft, sweet guy. I didn't think he would hurt them intentionallybut that he would go after their businesses and hurt him financially, the way he thinks they hurt him."

Granby was flooded with assistance from throughout the state as the drama unfolded, including members of the Jefferson County Sheriff's SWAT team and bomb squad.

Larimer County also sent several members of its special weapons and tactics team.

Gov. Bill Owens flew to Granby about 7 p.m. with Mike Beasley, director of the state Department of Local Affairs, to assess the damage.

"It's unbelieveable," Beasley said. "It looks like a tornado has touched down on main street."

Owens spokesman Dan Hopkins said the governor was kept informed of the unfolding situation throughout the afternoon.

Antique dealers, accountants and gun shop owners watched the dreadnaught move through town Friday afternoon, savaging the tiny mountain town's core.

At Duke's Gunsmithing, Shawn Nelson said the rampage started about 3 p.m., when Heemeyer took out Docheff's batch plant, worked his way down Agate Avenue, Granby's main street, slamming into the new bank, Liberty Savings, town hall and the public library. Then, the bullet-proof vehicle headed down the street toward the collectible firearms shop, Western Guncraft.

Nelson said Heemeyer tried to destroy all the businesses owned by town council members that let Cody Docheff put his concrete plant next to Heemeyer's muffler shop.

"Marv didn't think it belonged in the neighborhood. He said it would be bad for the neighborhood," said Nelson.

Nelson said Heemeyer had moved to town about 10 years ago and was angry Docheff won the rezoning fight.

"People knew he was building the armored bulldozer, but they didn't know why he was building it," said Nelson. He said Heemeyer welded one-inch armor plate around the bulldozer.

Nelson claimed Heemeyer tried to extend his path of destruction into a residential area where town council members lived, but was herded back to town by a D-11 bulldozer, larger than Heemeyer's D-9 dozer.

At Western Guncraft, Terri Hertel's experience with the armored bulldozer was too closeand too personal.

"He smashed the aspen trees and lightposts in front of the store," said Hertel, who watched from within with her husband, both terrified. They own Western Guncraft and live next door.

Luckily for the Hertels, who live in back of the antique store, the bulldozer moved down the road to hit the two-story Sky-Hi News, and destroyed the front of the building.

"There's lots of gunfire," she said as it unfolded, watching from her front window. "They're shooting like crazy. He's crushed a police car.

"They're taking out the fire trucks. Police are swarming all over and I don't think they can stop him," she said.

"It's a nightmare. This is the kind of thing that happens in big cities."

Gunshots could be heard in the background along with the live reports from the local radio station. The Hertels had the radio on to find out what was happening.

A few doors away at Schnurr Krieg Certified Accountants, Pat Vigil said,

"I locked the doors and the next thing I saw was this bulldozer demolishing Sky-Hi News."

Granby Town Manager Tom Hale said that the Sky-Hi News had editorialized in support of the town's unanimous zoning decision in 2001 which affected Heemeyer's property.

The propane tanks targeted by Heemeyer were at Independent Gas Company.

Vigil said she lives next door to the newspaper and as she looked out the window, she realized her car had been destroyed by the bulldozer, along with a pickup truck.

As for the destruction at the town halla two-level former school building, with the library on the first floor and the town offices on the secondHale said he was most concerned about salvaging records within the office, but does not yet know whether they can be saved.

The building was most heavily damaged on its west side, beneath Town Manager Hale's office and the town clerk's office, both located on the second floor.

The bulldozer, he said, had flattened six of the town's cars.

Steven Bromberg, a 26-year-resident of Granby said, "The fortunate part is that no one was hurtand that had to be his plan, too."

Heemeyer had twice called the Grand County manager, Lurline Curran, to see if she could help with the zoning dispute. She told him it was not her jurisdiction.

"He didn't think the concrete batch plant belonged there," Curran said. "Zoning issues can be contentious at times and that's what happened."

"We are a very laid back and beautiful community so this is quite unusual for us," Curran said. "I think our whole community is in shock right now."

Grand County emergency dispatchers used the reverse 911 emergency system to notify as many residents and property owners of the rampage going on in the town, county commissioner James Newberry said.

Friends of Heemeyer believed that he had no immediate family in the Granby-Grand Lake area.

A call to his Grand Lake home Friday afternoon was met by the recording of a man's voice, stating, "I'm sorry, I'm gone. I should be back on the fourth or fifth of June."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2939053,00.html

And of course the GREAT video report. Strictly awesome.

Last edited by Stang76 on Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xenolith
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's dead... apparent suicide. Used a gun. It's a darn shame he felt he had to bring people down with him.

This is a sad story... sorry.
Stang76
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, you must have missed the part where he FLATTENED BUILDINGS with a GIANT ARMOR PLATED BULLDOZER.

If you don't think that's cool as fuck then I feel sorry for you.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xenolith
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not cool, not cool at all. Pretty lame ruining others lives, don't you think?

He was just another angry white male.
Stang76
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, what a tragedy.

Killdozer 6/4/2004 - we shall never forget. icon_cry.gif
tabassman
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenolith wrote:

Nope, not cool, not cool at all. Pretty lame ruining others lives, don't you think?

He was just another angry white male.

you can think the means of doing something is uber-awesome and still disagree with the actions. an armor plated bulldozer flattening buildings is pretty wicked awesome if you ask me. pretend its a movie.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
Stang76
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word.

Speaking of movies, it seems ABC has already bought the rights:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071717
FeldmanSkitzoid
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Location: High up in my icy Fortress of Doom, where I can look across the frozen wastelands of UMD and cackle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's a hell of a lot of destruction in 90 minutes.
WUB
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FeldmanSkitzoid wrote:

Wow. That's a hell of a lot of destruction in 90 minutes.

Would have been even more if the coolant system hadn't sprung a leak.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened before.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2195570,00.html
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think it was a pretty clever, if not slightly psychotic way to get revenge on a system that (apparently) screwed him over. He didn't hurt anyone (I don't think), in fact, I think that one of the bystanders said he was avoiding hitting or hurting anyone. He had a gun mounted to the front of the thing, but he wasn't trying to shoot anyone, he was trying to blow up some propane tanks. He felt that these specific people had damaged his property unfairly (with fines, zoning, etc) so he chose to damage their property as well.

Not necessarily justifiable, but a whole lot better than going on a killing spree with the thing, which would have been terribly easy.
Xenolith
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did hurt people. Businesses were destroyed. It will take a long time for those business to get back on their feet, even with insurance help. Plus the local citizens taxes will be raised to pay for all the damage that was done. I doubt the federal government will bail them out on this one. If I were living in this town, I would be pissed.

If you want revenge, this is not how its done. This should not be romanced or trivialized.

A better movie that deals with this topic .
tabassman
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, i love that movie. the mcdonalds scene is brilliant.
nstepka
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeno
I think we should have an age limit for this site, cause if you were still in your 20's you would understand
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
EtheReal
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenolith wrote:

He did hurt people. Businesses were destroyed. It will take a long time for those business to get back on their feet, even with insurance help. Plus the local citizens taxes will be raised to pay for all the damage that was done. I doubt the federal government will bail them out on this one. If I were living in this town, I would be pissed.

If you want revenge, this is not how its done. This should not be romanced or trivialized.

A better movie that deals with this topic .

Again, I didn't attempt to justify it. I'm saying that for someone as obviously as unstable psychologically as he was, he showed a remarkable amount of intelligence/compassion by choosing to only go after material possessions. In my mind, he understood that they had not harmed him personally and thus chose to harm them as they had harmed him.

I've been in/through Granby a dozen or so times in my life, it's on the way to Winter Park, a ski area I hit at least once every winter.

For scale:

These things are big.
Xenolith
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is big, how much do you think he could have got for that bulldozer if just sold it. Probably would of been a good down payment on house in some other town.

Well, he was irrational...
Stang76
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenolith wrote:

It will take a long time for those business to get back on their feet, even with insurance help.

If this happened to my business and I didn't have insurance to pay for it, I'd be so fucking pissed that I'd fashion an armor-plated bulldozer and... you see it's a vicious cycle. icon_wink.gif
WUB
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EtheReal wrote:

Again, I didn't attempt to justify it. I'm saying that for someone as obviously as unstable psychologically as he was, he showed a remarkable amount of intelligence/compassion by choosing to only go after material possessions. In my mind, he understood that they had not harmed him personally and thus chose to harm them as they had harmed him.

Well before we get all weepy eyed about how compassionate he was, read all the news articles. The Under Sheriff spotted the tank after it did the concrete plant. He knew who it was and where he was likely to go next so he called a head and had those buildings cleared. Even with that, one business owner and his wife were inside a store that he started wrecking. They were trapped inside and lucked out when something down the street caught tank-boy's attention. Also, tank-boy tried to to knock over a concrete wall on top of a group of cops. I don't think he was as totally harmless as you think. He also flattened quite a few cars. Good thing no people or infants were in there.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brown said she believed Heemeyer just "snapped" because of recent stresses in his life, including a fire that claimed his garage and a beloved snowmobile inside it.

I always thought that people took their snowmobiles just a little too serious.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WUB wrote:
Well before we get all weepy eyed about how compassionate he was, read all the news articles. The Under Sheriff spotted the tank after it did the concrete plant. He knew who it was and where he was likely to go next so he called a head and had those buildings cleared. Even with that, one business owner and his wife were inside a store that he started wrecking. They were trapped inside and lucked out when something down the street caught tank-boy's attention. Also, tank-boy tried to to knock over a concrete wall on top of a group of cops. I don't think he was as totally harmless as you think. He also flattened quite a few cars. Good thing no people or infants were in there.

Still doesn't detract from his badassness. This guy makes First Blood look like Little Women.
straitEDGErocker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stang76 wrote:

Still doesn't detract from his badassness. This guy makes First Blood look like Little Women.

I dunno...at least Rambo was able to blow shit up. This clown couldn't even touch off a propane tank icon_lol.gif

Reminds me of when that ya-hoo stole a tank in California, that was wicked awesome!

-The Offspring
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMDStudents.com Index -> US/World Events All times are CST (U.S./Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2