Logo
Aberdeen Grammar School Logo
History
Aberdeen Grammar School
Aberdeen Grammar School
School History and Development
The date of Aberdeen Grammar School's foundation is unknown, but the school has existed for at least five and a half centuries. The first documentary reference to the town Grammar School occurs in the Burgh Records for the year 1418, when the Provost and the Council nominated John Homyll as 'Master of the Schools', in place of Andrew of Chivas, deceased, and the Chancellors of the Cathedral confirmed his appointment. The succession of Rectors since 1479 is known.
The old Grammar School
The old Grammar School
Until 1863 the school was situated in Schoolhill and the curriculum latterly consisted of Latin, Greek and Ancient Geography. Supported by the public spirit of local citizens, the Town Council erected the present handsome building which was opened on 23 October 1863 and which allowed expansion of the curriculum to include English, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Drawing and Gymnastics. Aberdeen Grammar School was one of the eleven schools in Scotland scheduled in the Education Act of 1872 as Public Secondary Schools. Its management was thus vested in the School Board of the Burgh. Since 1882, substantial additions and alterations have been carried out, culminating in a largescale programme of expansion and modernisation in 1964.
As a result of a decision by the former City of Aberdeen Education Committee on the naming of comprehensive schools in the City, the School had its title officially changed to Rubislaw Academy (Aberdeen Grammar School) at the start of session 1970/71. The title of Aberdeen Grammar School was restored as a result of a decision by Grampian Regional Council taken on 31 March 1977.
Girls were admitted to the School for the first time at the beginning of session 1973/74 and Aberdeen Grammar School is now a six-year comprehensive school serving the central west-end area of Aberdeen.