With the turn of the
century and the Industrial Revolution, the city again grew to become a
center of industry and commerce, utilizing the Raritan River, the Delaware
& Raritan Canal, and the rail lines. The city grew industrially
and its preeminence as a pharmaceutical town dates to 1885 when the Johnson
brothers moved their adhesive tape and gauze business to an old mill in
New Brunswick. Johnson and Johnson is now the world's largest health care
products manufacturer and retains its world headquarters in downtown New
The manufacturing industry needed a workforce and to meet this need, many
new Americans settled in New Brunswick. Because of this, the city today
has a diverse population which can trace its origins to countries in Europe,
Africa, South American, Central America and Asia. As these immigrants
and their families settled in the city, New Brunswick's spirit of community
was born. This spirit is evidenced throughout the city in our churches,
schools, theaters, restaurants, social clubs, and business. The rich heritage
of the people helps to make New Brunswick a great place to live, work
New Brunswick is rich in historic sites of local and national significance.
For more information about points of interest in and around New Brunswick,
please contact the Middlesex County Cultural & Heritage Commission
at 732-745-4489. Portions of the material below have been reprinted from
"Historic Stroll Through New Brunswick", with permission from
the Middlesex County Cultural
& Heritage Commission.
The Georgian mansion was constructed in 1739 by Anthony White and his
wife, the daughter of New Jersey's Royal Governor Lewis Morris. George
Washington was a frequent visitor to the Mansion. The house was occupied
by the Enniskillen Guards during the British occupation of New Brunswick
in 1777. The mansion was deeded to the City in 1911. The Jersey Blue Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution now care for the mansion and administer
tours and exhibits.
Church and Neilson Streets
The church was built in a Gothic Revival style in 1745. The octagonal
wood steeple topped by a copper spire was built in 1773 and is on the
National Register of Historic Sites. In 1852, the church was rebuilt,
using the original brownstones. The church is surrounded by a pre-Revolutionary
cemetery and cast iron fencing. A tree standing southeast corner of the
churchyard is believed to have been planted by Joyce Kilmer's father in
the 1930's in memory of his son. The church contains a unique, hand-made
24 stop mechanical action pipe organ installed in 2001.
Neilson and Bayard Streets
Also known as the "Town Clock Church," the First Reformed Church
is located in the historic commercial center of 19th century New Brunswick,
Hiram Market. The church, a Greek Revival structure, was built in 1812.
Surrounding the Church is a pre-Revolutionary cemetery and cast iron fencing.
Guided tours by appointment.
BRUNSWICK THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
Founded in 1784, New Brunswick Theological Seminary is the oldest seminary
in the United States. The Seminary is a teaching institution of the Reformed
Church in America, called by God to be a servant of the whole church of
Jesus Christ. The Seminary's mission is to continue the ministry of Jesus
in our time and place by enabling persons to translate their calling and
gifts into faithful Christian ministry. For more than 220 years it has
been a center for theological education of men and women from many different
GARDNER A. SAGE LIBRARY
17 Seminary Place
The round-arched design of the original library of the New Brunswick Theological
Seminary is of Romanesque, basilica design, with clerestory windows. One
of the most significant collections at the library is an international
collection of bibles. A boulder on the grounds commemorates the site of
a British redoubt during the occupation of New Brunswick. American troops
also camped on the site in 1778 following the Battle of Monmouth.
Livingston Ave. & Morris St.
Originally located on Carroll Place between Livingston Avenue and George
Street, this Georgian stone farmhouse was built in 1760 by Henry Guest,
a New Brunswick alderman and an associate of President John Adams and
author Thomas Payne. Guest House is available for meetings and special
exhibits. Guided tours by appointment.
17 Joyce Kilmer Avenue
The famed poet and war hero Joyce Kilmer, the author "Trees"
was born in this Greek Revival house in 1886 and resided there until 1892.
It is believed that the structure was originally a 1780 Dutch farmhouse,
which underwent an expansion in 1840. The house has been maintained by
American Legion Post No. 25 since 1929. The property is owned by the State
of New Jersey and leased by the City of New Brunswick, which houses its
Dial-A-Ride transportation service there.
BRUNSWICK FIRE DEPARTMENT MUSEUM
81 Remsen Avenue
Residents are invited to view memorabilia and artifacts that trace the
long and illustrious history of New Brunswick's Bravest. Included in the
collection are photographs of fire fighters and fire scenes, 19th department
logs, medals and authentic antique fire fighting equipment. Please call
Fire Director Jim Riley to arrange a guided tour.
The college building, was begun in 1809, and was not completed until 1825
(the year the school took the name Rutgers College). The building has
been cited as one of the finest examples of Federal architecture in the
United States. Constructed of brownstone, the facade incorporates Doric
pilasters, a cupola housing the Old Queens Bell and handmade glass window
panes. It is now home to Rutgers' administrative offices.
Adjacent to the grounds of the Henry Guest House, the cemetery was originally
a graveyard for Baptist and Presbyterian Churches in the early 1800's.
Seven of the first Japanese students at Rutgers were buried at Willow
145 Neilson Street
The congregation was founded in 1901 and is presently commemorating a
century of service to the Greater Middlesex County Jewish Community. The
Byzantine-style orthodox synagogue was constructed in 1923 and inscribed
into the National Register of Historic Places in 1955.