On May 8, 1993, the IBM Board of Directors approved the following Code of Ethics jointly with the Society of American Magicians. This was the result of a cooperative effort to work together for the betterment of magic.
All members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians agree to:1) Oppose the willful exposure to the public of any principles of the Art of Magic, or the methods employed in any magic effect or illusion.
2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.
3) Recognize and respect for rights of the creators, inventors, authors, and owners of magic concepts, presentations, effects and literature, and their rights to have exclusive use of, or to grant permission for the use by others of such creations.
4) Discourage false or misleading statements in the advertising of effects, and literature, merchandise or actions pertaining to the magical arts.
5) Discourage advertisement in magic publications for any magical apparatus, effect, literature or other materials for which the advertiser does not have commercial rights.
6) Promote the humane treatment and care of livestock used in magical performances.
If you would like a copy of the Constitution and By-Laws of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, contact our International Executive Secretary Sindie Richison at IBM headquarters:
- INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF MAGICIANS
- 11155-C South Towne Square
- St. Louis, MO 63123-7813
- (314) 845-9200 - voice
- (314) 845-9220 - fax
- Email: Office@magician.org