Cathedral of Learning
The Cathedral of Learning, a historic landmark, is the second-tallest education building in the world42 stories and 535 feet tall. It is also the geographic and traditional heart of the campus.
Begun by Chancellor John Bowman in 1926 and dedicated in 1937, the building was realized with the help of contributions from men, women, and children throughout the region and the world. During the peak of the Depression, when funding for the project became especially challenging, school children were encouraged to contribute a dime to "buy a brick."
In addition to the magnificent three-story "Commons Room" at ground level, the Cathedral of Learning also contains classrooms (including the internationally renowned Nationality Classrooms), the University's administrative offices, libraries, a computer center, a restaurant, and offices and classrooms for many liberal arts departments.
Trivia tidbit: The Cathedral of Learning has 2,529 windows.