Praetor
post Jan 3 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Cast and Crew
Group Icon

Group: Cast and Crew
Member No.: 26
Gamertag: Malahk

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who encouraged me to continue working on Forsaken, and all of the die hard fans who always let me know they'd be willing to help and how excited they were to see the finished product. Now on to the bad news.

Due largely to the most recent patch for World of Warcraft, roughly 50% of the scenes that needed to be filmed no longer can be done as well, or as easily. Many of the awesome action sequences I had in mind are no longer possible, and many of the more interesting locations can no longer be accessed because of some licensing discrepancies. I won't delve deeply into the reasons, as it is merely beating a dead horse, but you need only know that it is with a heavy heart that I announce the cancellation of Forsaken as an Edgeworks series. Without the ability to film much of what would have made it special, and without much of the freedom I had before, I simply cannot deliver a product that is up to our standards, nor that would be up to the community's. The Forsaken page will be taken down sometime later today, but there will be a page in the Edgeworks section that will continue to house the teaser and the fan art.

The production process was long, and with 95% of the writing complete, I'm very glad to have at least given this whole thing a try. I didn't get as far as I would have liked, and I'm greatly disappointed that my vision will never see its release, but I look ahead to other projects and realize that I have learned a great deal about editing, writing, and the hard work that goes into production. For now, I turn my excitement to the Heretic, which I assure you, will be worth all the wait in the end.

Once more, I thank the community for their undying support, and for those of you who offered me help, I always kept you in mind and I thank you as well.

-Patrick Malone

Update: The Forsaken section has been removed. All of its content can be accessed from the new Forsaken page within the Edgeworks Series List.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Keyesies
post Jan 3 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #2

Blue Zealot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,742
Gamertag: Kingsy

The script couldn't work in any other game engine? Or you couldn't rewrite the scripts into a novel? Forsaken should at least get out in some form.
+Quote Post
squattingb
post Jan 3 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #3

Forerunner
Group Icon

Group: Moderation Team
Member No.: 279

I'm sorry to hear that Patrick, I know you've worked really hard on it. Best wishes with any and all future projects you choose to undertake in the future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Perhaps you can release the script in book form (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Praetor
post Jan 3 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #4

Cast and Crew
Group Icon

Thanks SB.

Nerrolken and I talked about maybe working it into some kind of fan fiction, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not really too big on fan fiction for a lot of reasons, mostly because the original source material is always better, but perhaps I could change some basic stuff and release it merely as a novella or something comparable.

Perhaps the script at least will still see its release in some form or fashion. I won't rule out the possibility, nor will I promise anything, but it would be cool to let everyone see it.

-Praetor
Patrick M.
+Quote Post
t3h_muff1n_k!ng
post Jan 3 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #5

Honor Guard
Group Icon

Group: Codex Sponsor
From: Wtching WW and Fish duke it out through their location spots...
Member No.: 1,153
Gamertag: blargtastic808

Ah damn that's really too bad, Praetor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I really don't know a lot about MMORPGs (read: clueless) but why would a patch reduce the amount of stuff that you were going to do? Shouldn't it increase the possibilities? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Fish
post Jan 3 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Honor Guard
Group Icon

Group: Heretic Sponsor
Member No.: 1,320

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Seankiller90
post Jan 3 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #7

White Commander

Member No.: 959
Gamertag: Seankiller90

NOOO!
+Quote Post
Aglor
post Jan 3 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Seraph

Member No.: 970
Gamertag: Aglor 123

Now, this may seem crazy, but couldn't you just adapt the script to fit. Look at the book The War Of The Worlds (a great book by the way) and the way they changed it for every movie version. It's not the same thing, I know, but it has a similar concept. Change to make it possible. If not, then I just have to say, sorry. It really could've been good.
+Quote Post
{HFD}Wesman
post Jan 3 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #9

White Commander
Group Icon

From: Well if I told you that how would I snipe you? Well ok at that corner over there in Blood Gulch...
Member No.: 2,056
Gamertag: HFDhunter

Darn... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Nerrolken
post Jan 3 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4
Gamertag: Nerrolken

QUOTE(Aglor @ Jan 3 2007, 03:23 PM) *

Now, this may seem crazy, but couldn't you just adapt the script to fit. Look at the book The War Of The Worlds (a great book by the way) and the way they changed it for every movie version. It's not the same thing, I know, but it has a similar concept. Change to make it possible. If not, then I just have to say, sorry. It really could've been good.

He MIGHT be able to adapt it for another medium, but not for WoW. It would be like Bungie stopping people from removing the HUD: it doesn't affect what story he tells, it affects how he tells the story. And a lot of the stuff he was planning simply isn't possible anymore.

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken
+Quote Post
The Phoenix King
post Jan 3 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #11

White Commander

Member No.: 1,327

Bugger, that sucks royally. I'm a bit confused with how the patch would make filming more difficult, since it doesn't really make existing zones inoperative. It would be good if you could explain that to us more thoroughly so we could get a better understanding of the problem.

QUOTE(Praetor @ Jan 3 2007, 02:16 PM) *

Thanks SB.

Nerrolken and I talked about maybe working it into some kind of fan fiction, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not really too big on fan fiction for a lot of reasons, mostly because the original source material is always better, but perhaps I could change some basic stuff and release it merely as a novella or something comparable.

Perhaps the script at least will still see its release in some form or fashion. I won't rule out the possibility, nor will I promise anything, but it would be cool to let everyone see it.

-Praetor
Patrick M.

I'm a fanfiction writer myself, so I could give some advice if you ever do decide to turn Forsaken into a fan-novel. Even if the story's source material suffers somewhat with the transition from a visual to written medium, you'll find ways to compensate and gain new advantages. That being said, it was a solid effort, and showing the script would be an excellent exemplar for anyone trying to create their own film.
+Quote Post
Philosophy 101
post Jan 3 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #12

White Commander

From: Anywhere but here, its winter here, and summer there.
Member No.: 2,913
Gamertag: Juesoni

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I hope you end up being able to do something with the story. It sounds good and I'd hate to see it go to waste. That and I want to see / read it!
+Quote Post
Deomitrus
post Jan 3 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #13

Gold General
Group Icon

Group: Edgeworks Sponsor
Member No.: 929

Why do you have to use the new patch?
+Quote Post
{HFD}Wesman
post Jan 3 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #14

White Commander
Group Icon

From: Well if I told you that how would I snipe you? Well ok at that corner over there in Blood Gulch...
Member No.: 2,056
Gamertag: HFDhunter

QUOTE(Deomitrus @ Jan 3 2007, 05:30 PM) *

MMORPG games require patch to play like WoW.
+Quote Post
Praetor
post Jan 4 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #15

Cast and Crew
Group Icon

QUOTE(The Phoenix King @ Jan 3 2007, 06:52 PM) *

Bugger, that sucks royally. I'm a bit confused with how the patch would make filming more difficult, since it doesn't really make existing zones inoperative. It would be good if you could explain that to us more thoroughly so we could get a better understanding of the problem.
I'm a fanfiction writer myself, so I could give some advice if you ever do decide to turn Forsaken into a fan-novel. Even if the story's source material suffers somewhat with the transition from a visual to written medium, you'll find ways to compensate and gain new advantages. That being said, it was a solid effort, and showing the script would be an excellent exemplar for anyone trying to create their own film.

Blizzard uses a form of file called MPQ in order to pack together all the textures, models, and animations in the game. Everything essentially boils down to a few very large MPQ files, and with the latest patch, the "Model.MPQ" was combined with another. The reason Forsaken is no longer possible is because the program I was using to manipulate the models with ease was not only discontinued, but the most recent patch made it so that the program could not even read the file that the "Model.MPQ" was incorporated into.

QUOTE(Philosophy 101 @ Jan 3 2007, 07:27 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I hope you end up being able to do something with the story. It sounds good and I'd hate to see it go to waste. That and I want to see / read it!

I hope that I'll be able to do something with the script. I'm still not sure what that will be, but I have a few creative ideas as to how I could deliver it.

QUOTE(Deomitrus @ Jan 3 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Without it, I would not have been able to film anything in the game, as I would not have been able to log in!
+Quote Post
Laird
post Jan 4 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #16

White Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 409

Tough break dude. :-/
+Quote Post
grunty_thirst
post Jan 4 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #17

Honor Guard
Group Icon

Member No.: 65

I'm greatly sorry to have to hear this terrible news, Patrick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I and no doubt much of the cmmunity were looking forward to this.
However, you said it yourself, producing an underdone product would have been a struggle, and I'm glad that you took this project to the end and made the tough, yet unfortunate decision to cancel it, based upon your own merits.
Good luck with The Heretic and any other future work, I'd hate to see all the hard work and dedication you put into Forsaken go to waste.

Grunty
+Quote Post
Spazbro
post Jan 4 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #18

Red Officer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,259

hope they don't sue me, but.....

**** YOU BLIZZARD!
+Quote Post
Anubis
post Jan 5 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #19

Seraph

Member No.: 396

Terribly sorry to hear this Patrick... I was really looking forward to seeing Forsaken. Maybe there is a chance you can do it with another game but I suppose it just wouldn't be the same.
Blizzard just lost my vote of confidence
+Quote Post
Rescudo
post Jan 5 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #20

Forerunner
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Gamertag: None. Xfire:rescudo

Well... I was kind of waiting for this to happen, actually. The series had been dead for so long, with no updates... however, I didn't expect a new patch to be the reason for closedown.

I'm sorry to hear about this, Patrick. I know how it feels - I also had a great idea for a machinima, but didn't have the time nor resources to carry it out...
I hope you will be able to do something with it, some way or another. Good luck.

On another note... does this mean the WoW section of the forums gets removed again, or will it stay?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2007 - 12:47 AM