Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
MattBrady

DAREDEVIL: BATTLIN' JACK MURDOCK DEBUTS IN JUNE

As anyone who’s spent time reading Daredevil knows, the shadow of Matt Murdock’s father, “Battlin’” Jack Murdock, former boxer and former mob enforcer still looms large in his son’s life. An June, Jack’s life becomes the subject of its own four issue miniseries, in Daredevil: Battlin' Jack Murdock, co-written by Zeb Wells and Carmine Di Giandomenico, and illustrated by Di Giandomenico.

As a refresher, Jack Murdock was Matt’s single parent who raised the boy in Hell’s Kitchen. A rough man by nature and trade, it was Jack who pushed Matt toward a better life, one filled with books and education, rather than fists and bandages. Feeling that his life as a two-bit boxer was nothing to emulate, Jack forbade his son to undertake any kind of physical training.

After Matt’s accident which left him blind, but gave him super-powers, Jack’s career continued its spiral, pushing him towards work as a mob enforcer for the Fixer. In exchange for his work, the Fixer engineered a comeback for Jack, rigging fights to allow the aging fighter one last shot at glory. Ultimately, Jack’s pride gets the best of him, and, on the night of the title fight, he refuses to take a dive, and wins by a knockout. The victory was short-lived, as the Fixer had Jack killed for disobeying him.

Many creators who've worked on Daredevil at Marvel have touched upon Jack, as well as his relationship with his son.

The miniseries will by the Italian artist's third American work with Marvel, following Vegas (written by Karl Kesel) and What If? Captain America in 2005, which re-cast Cap during the American Civil War.

Battling Jack is a story about the relationship between Jack Murdock, a failed boxer turned mob enforcer, and his son, Matthew Murdock, the boy who would one day become Daredevil,” said editor Warren Simons of the project.

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree however, and like Matt -- who grew up to become both a lawyer and a vigilante -- Jack Murdock was a man of extraordinary contradictions. As a mob enforcer, Jack worked in a world where his fists were his only currency, but he saw a better life for his son through education, and he raised Matthew a bookworm, forbidding him from fighting under any circumstances.

“And from his work as a mob enforcer to the accident which blinded Matthew to his last fight, this story will be told from Jack’s point of view, illuminating this tragic and compelling figure in the Marvel Universe and the amazing legacy he left behind.”

Art shown below is from preliminary stages.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Electrohead

I thought for a second they were bringing him back for good. Marvel wouldn't do that now, would they????
Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
OG_vg_warrio

interesting but is it necesary? The art looks shoddy now but the italian guy has done great work before.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
astronato

It says the art is preliminary.

I think it's an interesting idea. I'm in.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Jed Saxon

Heh. Putting DiGiandomenico on that seems like a given because... duh...

Sold on that!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Charlie Hustle

yeah looks like it's layouts. should be interesting!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
MattBrady

Updated with finished art.

MattB
Old 03-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
aaron_bourqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohead
I thought for a second they were bringing him back for good. Marvel wouldn't do that now, would they????
Gwen Stacy. Bucky. Captain America (eventually)

Hmm.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque
Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
BanMan

Not sure about all of the lensflare. I get what they're going for but I'm not a big fan of the effect in this instance.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
PhilipAMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_bourqu
Gwen Stacy. Bucky. Captain America (eventually)
Gwen Stacy is still dead the just cloned her

good day
Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Eric dual

WOW !
It's great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
von Doom, M.D.

It's "Battlin'" Jack Murdock, not Battling Jack Murdock, unless the mini-series is about the adventures of someone who's fighting him.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
beta-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Doom, M.D.
It's "Battlin'" Jack Murdock, not Battling Jack Murdock, unless the mini-series is about the adventures of someone who's fighting him.

Maybe it's a pun?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
dwf

I actually like the prelim art better that the finished. The unfinished art made me look at it, while I just glanced over finished art, thinking it looked pretty much interchangable with a lot of other stuff on the stands. Did Di Giandomenico do the inking/coloring himself?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
ALIEN_freak_jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohead

HE'S RONIN!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
ThatNickGuy

Huh. I had an idea like this, myself. Although, I would be more interested in the story of Jack Murdock and how he met/fell in love with Matt's mother. A down-on-his luck bum boxer that works for the mob that meets with (as far as we know) a good, wholesome nun.

There's got to be story in there SOMEWHERE.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #17
EmeraldGuy32

a boxing comic? oh yeah, I'm there.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
Drcharles

I think this is going to be a really cool and interesting mini series, for all the fans of DareDevil, enabling us all to learn more of Matts past and especially the murky world of ' Battin Jacks ' Boxing fixings.
I'm in for this one ..................
Art looks nice and decent also
Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
ZampDiSata

loved the art on What If? Captain America from 2005. i'll definitely get this
Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #20
STL

Love DD but the art doesn't sell me. Originally on reading the first coupla lines I was sold. Art just killed my interest. I will likely wait for the trade unless the lettered pages change my mind
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #21
JimmyKitty

Quote:
"The miniseries will by the Italian artist's third American work with Marvel, following Vegas (written by Karl Kesel) and What If? Captain America in 2005, which re-cast Cap during the American Civil War."

Actually, Matt This will be Carmine's fourth work. I worked with him on Marvel's What If? Wolverine in Nov. 2006.

I love his art, and he does his own coloring, too. It's a fine appreciation and I'm glad to see that European flair added to Western Comics.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
Kolimar

Thumbs up

Sounds like a nice idea. There's a whole world of possibilities to be explored and I like the fact that they're taking advantage of that. The art looks pretty good.