Register FAQ Calendar Chat Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Lionhead Studios > Games > Fable: The Lost Chapters > Fable
Closed Thread

Old 1st October 2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Peter Molyneux
Peter Molyneux  has a few followersPeter Molyneux  has a few followers
Posts/Rep Power: 2/0

Scroll A message from Peter Molyneux.

There is something I have to say. And I have to say it because I love making games. When a game is in development, myself and the development teams I work with constantly encourage each other to think of the best features and the most ground-breaking design possible.

However, what happens is that we strive to include absolutely everything we've ever dreamt of and, in my enthusiasm, I talk about it to anyone who'll listen, mainly in press interviews. When I tell people about what we're planning, I'm telling the truth, and people, of course, expect to see all the features I've mentioned. And when some of the most ambitious ideas get altered, redesigned or even dropped, people rightly want to know what happened to them.

If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologise. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it. Often the reason is that the feature did not make sense. For example, three years ago I talked about trees growing as time past. The team did code this but it took so much processor time (15%) that the feature was not worth leaving in. That 15 % was much better spent on effects and combat. So nothing I said was groundless hype, but people expecting specific features which couldn't be included were of course disappointed. If that's you, I apologise. All I can say is that Fable is the best game we could possibly make, and that people really seem to love it.

I have come to realise that I should not talk about features too early so I am considering not talking about games as early as I do. This will mean that the Lionhead games will not be known about as early as they are, but I think this is the more industry standard.

Our job as the Lionhead family of studios is to be as ambitious as we possibly can. But although we jump up and down in glee about the fabulous concepts and features we're working on, I will not mention them to the outside world until we've implemented and tested them, and they are a reality.

Thank you for reading.

Peter.

Old 1st October 2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Queamin
Queamin is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 78/1

Hmm. Must be PM, the name is spelt correctly. And I think I've heard that exact speech before...

Old 1st October 2004, 02:20 PM   #3
djseraphim
Resident n00b
djseraphim is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to djseraphim Send a message via Yahoo to djseraphim
*nods*

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and to write out a statement. It is much appreciated.

*runs back to continue taking every boast possible*

Old 1st October 2004, 02:21 PM   #4
slay
Happy Junior Member
slay is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 18/0

well, thanks to you for this post.
i guess you're the real peter molyneux, or it's really a crap joke
anyway, one stupid question: when you talked about all those secrets in fable, you're not talking about the demon door, the key chest and the little trick with the statue @ lookout point right? is there "more" secrets? i mean real secret... ?

Old 1st October 2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Rookie
CellarDoor
Rookie is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 118/1

That is disappointing ... I enjoyed hearing about the hopes and ambitions of the games. Too many people take every idea as a promise I suppose...

Old 1st October 2004, 02:22 PM   #6
Neo_TheNoobKiller
Happy Junior Member
Neo_TheNoobKiller is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 23/0

I'm not saying I could make a better game(Damn, I can't believe I'm talking to Peter Molyneux.) but...look, some features could have been put in the game without difficultys, no?Like walking whereever we want, more weapons, more clothings...Maybe swim, I don't know but it does'nt sound impossible to make in a game...It have been done before!
For me, and again I'm not saying I can do a better game Fable, as it is now, is not Fable anymore.
Yes it's a pretty good RPG, yes!But it's not Fable, too much features disappeared...I know maybe some people were waiting too much about this game but...We read a lot of news, interviews, viewed video, read the FAQ, etc...
Could we have a sort of "Fable's add-on" with some features which should already been in Fable?Places, weapons, clothing, interactions with NPCs, liberty of walking, out of the ways...?

Excuse my English, I'm French, not very good at English...

Old 1st October 2004, 02:23 PM   #7
EkansTheCrafty
Man, Myth, Legend
EkansTheCrafty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the game, Peter. Sorry for the trolling on my part anyways. Looking forward to Fable 2. Hope you pay close attention to the (possitive) Fable 2 threads to hear opinions on improvements and additions that we'd like to see in the next one.

<|xxxxxxx]o)=================>The

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v Crafty

Old 1st October 2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Phoenix_Fire
Phoenix_Fire is on a distinguished road

Thank-you Peter.

Guys you have been begging for a mod to answer your questions about missing features, but you got even better, peter himself. Can we sticky this to stop all the complaining.
once again
Thank-you Peter

Old 1st October 2004, 02:28 PM   #9
Sam
sysop
Sam is a name known to allSam is a name known to allSam is a name known to allSam is a name known to allSam is a name known to allSam is a name known to all

It's already stickied.

Old 1st October 2004, 02:30 PM   #10
Saner2oo2
Local Drunk
Saner2oo2 is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 27/0

Quoting : Peter Molyneux
I am considering not talking about games as early as I do. This will mean that the Lionhead games will not be known about as early as they are, but I think this is the more industry standard.

Well i did have a long reply to this, but the board (or more specificly the site (as I run Vbulletin myself and never had this issue)) decided to cut it in half, so it wont be posted.

I will say though, from what I read, its more secrets (or lack off (possibly??)) rather than features that are getting people down.

Shame... I thought it was kinda relevent.

Last edited by Saner2oo2 : 1st October 2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 1st October 2004, 02:31 PM   #11
The Confidence-Man
Never Forget
The Confidence-Man is on a distinguished road

Nice of you to respond, though I don't think too many people are upset by the lack of features only briefly mentioned some years ago like the growing trees.

At least for me, there's a feeling that the game I have isn't the game you've been showing through official media. I bought the game hoping to see and explore all those open environments, all the lush forests, open fields of flowers and grass, lakes, mountains, etc... that are just not there anymore. Noone ever said, "By the way, most of the screens we've shown are no longer representative of the game. It's quite different now." Not that it would've made me feel any better about it, but at least I'd know what I was getting.

Old 1st October 2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Arwen Goenitz
Ex-Fable Owner
Arwen Goenitz is on a distinguished road

(Arwen throws brick at the idiot who decided 733Mhz and 64MB was enough)
XBOX's sell at a loss anyway...I dont think all the cut corners, Thompson drives and now rounded down games were worth it!

BBB shouldnt have struggled!

I wanna see ozerzealous design on steroids plus huge, fat helpings of Ghz for the XBOX2!
Or the contiual evolution of game design will once again outstrip the capabillites of the machine.

Just like DVD was invented cause CD wasnt big enough...now with multiple DVD boxsets...DVD ISNT BIG ENOUGH!

Old 1st October 2004, 02:33 PM   #13
Cipro_Has_Returned
im better than you
Cipro_Has_Returned is on a distinguished road

I dont know what to make of Fable anymore... The game was fun, I am still enjoying it, but there is so much missing, and the fact that you tried to cover your tracks half-assed is what gets me.

We have clues to quests that lead no where, and all kinds of other crap. I feel like I have been taken advantage of just a little. I for one will not be so eager to give up my money for you anymore.

Old 1st October 2004, 02:39 PM   #14
Explodytheclown
Explodytheclown is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 3/0

While most everybody has been sitting here doing nothing but complaining and saying "Peter Molyneux lies, and he BLAH BLAH BLAH" he actually comes and takes the time to get on this messageboard and explain to people what happened. He shouldn't have even had to do that. He and the rest of the people that worked on "Fable" had so many ambitions and so many dreams, and even though they couldn't put everything into the game, look at all they did put in. I know that this won't stop anyone from complaining, and everyone is still gonna bitch about it, but THANK YOU PETER. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule and explaining that. You are a good man. BTW thanks for Fable and Black & White, I've missed many a day of school because of them.

Old 1st October 2004, 02:45 PM   #15
PhoenixDreams
PhoenixDreams is on a distinguished road
Posts/Rep Power: 12/0

(Assuming this is the real PM)

Thank you very much for your response. It reflects a great dedication to the community for a high profile designer such as yourself to take the time to post a message like this.

I certainly do not begrudge the fact that some features must be cut. A living, growing forest would have been a wonderful detail, but just that, a detail. My concern, as I believe is many others is not so much the lack of a few of these details, but large pieces that seemed so close to completion.

Apparently most of the system resources for the dragon battle are present on the disc. The Singing Sword (which to my knowledge is not available in the game) is likewise partially there. We are left to wonder "What if it came out one month, even one week later?" Could one or two of these features have been added? Would it have been worth the extra wait?

We have heard of no fights to keep from a release until the game was finished. This may be because your agreement with Microsoft prevents you from talking about scheduling issues. Unless I hear otherwise, I choose to believe that you would have held back the game a little longer to finish it, if it were in your power.

Thank you for Fable. It is a phenomenal game. My greatest hope is that this is a learning experience for both BBB and all RPG developers. Fable both provided an enjoyable experience, and opened players eyes to things that they can expect in a game. I eagerly await Fable 2 (or 1.5), and for all the trolling, complaints, and other malcontent on the boards, I think almost everyone here does too.

Closed Thread