IMAGES OF THE

HULL & BARNSLEY RAILWAY

The Hull & Barnsley Railway was formed form the earlier Hull, Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway, officially gaining the H&BR title from July 1st, 1905. Financial problems were to plague the line even during its construction and it was not until July 27th 1885 that the first passengers were carried over the 53 mile route between Hull Cannon Street and Cudworth (actually 2 miles from Barnsley). Intermediate stations from Cannon Street were at Willerby & Kirk Ella, Little Wieghton, South Cave, North Cave, Newport (Yorks), Sandholme, North Eastrington, South Howden, Barmby, Drax, Carlton, Kirk Smeaton (where branches diverged for Wath-on-Dearne and Denaby) and Upton. Springfield Halt between Cannon Street and Willerby & Kirk Ella was opened in April 1929.

The livery for locomotives c.1914 was a very dark shade of green (almost black) with blue, vermillion and yellow lining. Coaches were in varnished teak.

The H&B was absorbed by its rival, the North Eastern Railway, in 1922, which itself became part of the London & North Eastern Railway a year later.

The Canon Street terminus in Hull was closed on July 14th 1924 after which services were diverted to Hull Paragon whilst freight continued at Canon Street until 1964.

Services west of South Howden were withdrawn from January 1st 1932 and the remaining passenger service between Hull and South Howden withdrawn from July 30th, 1955 although excursion traffice was to continue over the route for another three years.

The following photographs kindly supplied by John Law illustrate the route.

An early railway map of the Hull area can be seen by clicking here (135K)

A map of the eastern section of the H&B can be seen by clicking here (133K)

A map of the western section of the H&B can be seen by clicking here (129K

 

 

The timetable from September 15th 1952 for the remaining service over the H&B between

Hull Paragon and South Howden. It was to be withdrawn three years later.

 

 

A rare shot here. The approaches to Cannon Street station, Hull, showing the signal box & various private owner wagons. The photo is taken from above the carriage sheds, visible in the foreground.

 

 

The remains of Cannon Street Goods depot at Hull in 1969.

 

 

An amazing surval at Hull Cannon St station, the old gates, still lettered "H&B Rly".

 

 

Now we have Stirling 4-4-0 no. 38, again an old postcard view. These were intended for the Hull to Sheffield service.

 

 

Stirling 0-8-0 no. 117.

 

 

A Hull Corporation tram passes under the H&BR as it runs along Beverley Road. The H&B was elevated to avoid the problems that the level crossings of the NER caused.

 

 

King George Dock, jointly owned by the H&B & the NER.

 

 

An old postcard view of Alexandra Dock, Hull, built by H&BR.

 

 

A H&BR 0-4-0WT (built by Kitson for dock shunting) at Alexandra Dock.

 

 

An early LNER view of Springhead Works & shed, certainly pre-1930 (most of the locos without domes).

 

 

H&BR Kirtley 0-6-0T no. 3 at Springhead, Hull.

 

 

A Kitson 0-6-2T no. 99 at Springhead shed.

 

 

H&BR Stirling 2-4-0 no. 37 at Springhead shed, Hull.

 

 

South Cave station.

 

 

An old postcard view of Howden station in H&BR days.

 

 

South Howden station buildings,derelict in 1978, demolished soon after.

 

 

Kirk Smeaton station looking east.

 

 

Wrangbrook Junction signal box, ex H&BR, derelict in 1968.

 

 

H&BR 0-8-0 no. 129 at the Wath branch yard, Wrangbrook Junction.

 

 

3053 outside the shed at Cudworth in 1922.

 

 

3103 (0-6-2T) like the previously featured 3053 in NER hands (though 3103 is still lettered H&BR) at Cudworth Yard in 1923.

 

 

A short branch ran to Doncaster York Road from the HB&GC line at Doncaster Junction. A class 08 is seen on the pick-up goods at York Road, with Booth's scrapyard has a Planet diesel, 1968. Poor quality shot, but very rare.

 

 

Sprotborough station, on the Denaby branch, looking south, H&BR.

 

 

Warmsworth Junction signal box, on the HB&GC Joint Line, og GCR design, 1969.

 

 

Pickburn box on the H&BR Denaby branch.

 

 

The derelict station building at Pickburn in 1968.

 

 

A Fowler diesel of T W Wards, in charge of the scrap train, on tracklifting duties at Pickburn, 1968.

 

 

Here's an unidentified H&BR 0-6-0 at Hickleton & Thurnscoe station, on the H&BR Wath branch.

 

 

Down at the south end of the joint line, here owned by the H&B, GCR & Midland, was Hellaby. The GC designed box is seen here, derelict, in 1969.

 

 

Here is a WD 2-8-0 running light at Bullcroft Junction on the H&B & GC Joint in 1965. This view is looking south, with the Bentley Colliery branch diverging left and the line to Skellow Junction on the right. The photo was taken by the late W Ashton.

 

 

Bullcroft Junction signal box.

 

 

0-6-0 30 at Bullcroft Junction.

 

 

At Bullcroft Junction Class 47 D1871 heads for Thorpe Marsh Power Station. Traffic was later diverted away from this route.  

 

 

A DMU railtour, organised by the RCTS, negotiates the pointwork at Bullcroft Junction.

 

 

This is Brierley Junction on the H&BR main line. 8F 2-8-0 48159 has just reversed and will take the connecting line around to the Dearne Valley Railway. The photo was taken by the late W Ashton.

 

 

The DMU that we saw at Bullcroft Junction is now at York Road, Doncaster, the only known time that the short branch saw a passenger train.

 

 

Contents