The Sheppy Light Railway

The Sheppy Light Railway


Colonel Stephens was the engineer of this railway from its inception in 1896 through authorisation in 1899 to opening in 1901. Ownership and control passed to the SECR in 1905. It was in every way typical of his construction methods but operation was in the hands of the South East and Chatham railway, and subsequently the Southern Railway and British Railways, thereby losing much of the special light railway character. At first moderately successful it lost out to electric tram and other road competition and closed completely in 1950.

 

 

Railway map

Further reading:

The Sheppey Light Railway. Brian Hart. Wild Swan Publications. 1992

 

Home | Curator | Tour | Opening | Col.Stephens | Railways | Topics | Terrier | Viewpoints | Visitors | Youngsters | Links | Site Map

Top of page