UT grad steals Aggie mascot, tells epic story

By Mary Tuma
  • Print
  • Email
Neil Andrew Sheffield, a UT alumnus, comes forward as the mysterious kidnapper of Texas A&M's mascot, Reveille, in 1993. Sheffield said he lived in fear of being caught and even began going by his middle name.
Media Credit: Shaun Stewart

In 1993, under the pseudonym "Bob," Neil Andrew Sheffield stole Reveille, the Texas A&M University mascot. Today, "Bob" wants the truth - a humorous tale of kidnapping, evading the law and paranoia that forced him to change his name - to be told.

After the kidnapping, the then-architectural engineering major told his story under his pseudonym to Daily Texan reporter Phil Van der Slice. The event was so controversial that the University pressured Van der Slice to reveal the identities of the culprits.

"It was really stressful, and there came a point when the dean of students threatened to kick me out of the University," said Van der Slice. "But being the young reporter that I was, I couldn't reveal my sources."

Reveille has been the official mascot of Texas A&M since 1931. In addition to being present at major athletic events, she is a five-star general and outranks even the highest member of the A&M Corps. According to current handler, political science major Pierce Hunter, Reveille enjoys her celebrity status on campus.

"She's a princess, and she knows it," Hunter said.

During his time at UT-Austin, Sheffield read an article in the Dallas Morning News that glorified the Texas A&M mascot and read like a "PR campaign," he said. The article provoked him to take action, particularly one line that claimed A&M was the only team in the Southwest Conference who had never had their mascot stolen, he said.

"They thought they were God's gift to man," he said.

'It was like robbing Fort Knox'

Sheffield's friend Kevin Kwast introduced him to Paul Murray, another UT student who had voiced interest in kidnapping the purebred pooch.

"Paul did all the research, he knew where the dog was staying and how she was being taken care of," Sheffield said.

In the fall of 1993, Sheffield and Murray learned that the collie's handler, A&M student Jim Lively, would be in Dallas for the A&M football game against Texas Christian University. About 30 others, mostly UT band members, joined forces with the two students. The plan was to split up into small groups to overpower Lively and snatch the dog.
Page 1 of 4 next >

Article Tools

The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com.

Voice your opinion!

Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at firingline@dailytexanonline.com

Viewing Comments 1 - 8 of 9

Rick Holley

posted 4/24/07 @ 12:37 PM EST

what a dick

James Jones

posted 4/24/07 @ 1:23 PM EST

Stupid aggies.. $1,000,000 for that mutt? HA! Kicked in the azz out the door..sweet!

Todd

posted 4/24/07 @ 1:40 PM EST

12-7. Do you sips not know how Bevo got his name? Do the research. The Aggies pulled the mascot prank long before this hippie did, and its even how your mascot got its (its not a him because he has no balls) name. (Continued…)

Todd

posted 4/24/07 @ 1:40 PM EST

(1 reply)   Details   Reply to this comment

Steve H (Aggie BQ)

posted 4/25/07 @ 1:12 AM EST

Todd, the Aggies (unfortunately) only branded the castrated mascot with "13-0." That it became "BEVO" was not the Aggies' doing (at least not directly). (Continued…)

L.A. Tiger

posted 4/25/07 @ 9:00 PM EST

I loved this story.

Robert

posted 4/26/07 @ 8:35 PM EST

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=865018&forum_id=5

If you want comments go here:

John

posted 4/26/07 @ 11:16 PM EST

A toy collie big deal ! Orange and White dog, Texas Avenue in their town, a fake tower with a little clock in it to look like the one at UT and 16 lines in their fight song dedicated to UT. (Continued…)

Post a Comment

• NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.

Poll

Do you think a professor watch list is necessary to moderate biased teaching methods at UT?
Submit Vote

View Results

Front Page PDF

Download Print Edition PDF

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
Dresses Dresses
New Home Austin Texas
T-Shirts
Moroccan Furniture
Concert Tickets
$49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
TSTV
Discount Shopping
Prom Dresses
TXSG
KVRX
Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
Texas Student Publications