Welcome | Prospectus | Cisco | Microsoft | Sixth Form | Community | Tour | History | Contacts
History
 
1950s
 
 

1950s Photo Gallery

Left
: Original artwork from 1955. The summer uniform was heavily influenced by the fashions of the time.
1950s Layout
Bartley Green Grammar School for Girls opened on the 7th September 1954, though the official opening, in the presence of Sir Wilfred Martineau, did not occur until 13th July 1955.

The initial intake was small and, for a time, areas of the building were not fully utilised. By the end of the decade the Sixth Form Centre had been established.
 
 
 

Sonia Mackey
Headteacher
(1954 - 1962)



Left: Winter uniform. Not dissimilar to what is worn today.
 
1960s
 
Even with the 1960s in full swing, this was a quiet period in the history of Bartley Green Grammar School.

Towards the end of the decade increasing student numbers gave rise to a shortage of teaching space. This problem was addressed by the construction of an extra floor on the west wing of the school.



Above: The west wing then.

Above: the west wing as it appears today.
   

1960s Photo Gallery
 
 

Audrey Jackson
Headteacher
(1962 - 1970)




Far Left: The area in blue illustrates the extra floor added to the west wing.
 
1970s
 

1970s Photo Gallery
 
Left:
A fashion conscious Sixth Former models one of her latest creations.
1970s layout
The 1970s witnessed a steady rise in student numbers and a dramatic phase of expansion to deal with this increase.


 
In a few years the school virtually doubled in size with the addition of a new Science Block, Sports Hall, Music Block, Performance Studios and the Open Learning Centre.
 
 

Claudia Williams
Headteacher
(1970 - 1985)



Left: The Science Block - centrepiece of the 1970s expansion.
 
1980s
 

On September 1st 1983 Bartley Green Grammar School was renamed Hillcrest School & Sixth Form Centre.

At this point the school dropped it grammar school status in order to accept students from the wider community.
 
Left: A teacher (who shall remain nameless) gets into the spirit, as Paddington Bear, for Comic Relief day in 1988.
 
Another break with tradition saw the first boys students admitted to the Sixth Form.


1980s Photo Gallery

It was during this period the school faced closure, but a high profile campaign by parents, staff and students persuaded the Local Education Authority to reappraise this plan.
 

Sandra Trotman
Headteacher
(1985 - 1997)

1990s
 

September 1998 saw the first development at Hillcrest in 25 years with the opening of the Technology Block.

A year later the Hillcrest had the prestige of becoming a Certified Cisco Networking Academy for the next generation of IT professionals.

 
Left: Networked computers were introduced during the 1990s. Today, the whole school is served by a modern network infrastructure.
1990s layout


1990s Photo Gallery


Above: The Technology Block

Mary Campbell
Headteacher
(1997 - 2002)