Academy of the Sacred Heart
Home
About Us > Our Legacy


Ways to Give
 

Our Legacy

Two hundred years ago, our foundress, St. Madeleine Sophie Barat inspired the mission of the Academy.  Her vision was to educate students with academic standards for excellence.  She created an environment attentive to the development of the whole person, preparing each child to assume leadership roles in professional, civic and academic careers.  

This vision was brought to North America by St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, who founded the first Sacred Heart school in the United States in St. Charles, Missouri.   In 1821, Father Gabriel Richard proposed the establishment of a Sacred Heart school in Detroit.  The proposal was initially rejected by St. Philippine, but came to fruition thirty years later, in 1851, with the assistance of the Beaubien family. 

The Academy was located on Jefferson Avenue between St. Antoine and Beaubien Streets, in the area where the Renaissance Center stands today.  In 1918, the school moved to Lawrence Avenue due to increasing industrialization in the area.  Forty years later, in 1958, the school moved to its present location in Bloomfield Hills. 


St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, Foundress 

Powered by finalsiteCF

Academy of the Sacred Heart - 1250 Kensington Road - Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Phone: 248-646-8900 - Fax: 248-646-4143 - Contact Content Manager
Copyright © 2006 - Submit Web Site Feedback