Oddball Comics Oddball Comics
Calendar  :  Directory  :  Introduction  :  Web Resources  :  Polls  :  Forum  :  Media Gallery  :  Classified Ads  
advanced search   
Menu
Introduction
Oddball Comics on Video
Calendar
Links
Polls
Forums
Directory
Oddball Classifieds

Topics
Home
News (0/0)
This Week's Comic (1,156/0)
Oddball Rate-A-Rama
For May 14, 2007: Exactly How Odd Is REGISTERED NURSE’s “First Edition”?
ONE ODDBALL (REGISTERED NURSE is Dead On Arrival!)
TWO ODDBALLS (Sick, sick, sick!)
THREE ODDBALLS (It’s not generally known, but this comic’s cover was the original inspiration for Pat Benetar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot”!)
FOUR ODDBALLS (REGISTERED NURSE is perfect reading material -- for hospitalized patients!)
FIVE ODDBALLS (As Stooge supreme Curly Howard once squealed with delight, “Noices, noices, beautiful noices!”)
Results
19 votes
Events
Site Events

Saturday 19-May
User Functions
:

:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User
Lost your password?
Who's Online
Guest Users: 5
Latest Forum Posts
FRANK MILLER TO DIRECT &q...;
Fri May 18, 2007 7:19 pm
By: JUNGLE JIM ENGEL

Happy Birthday, Sijo!
Fri May 18, 2007 2:50 pm
By: Charlie_Ryan

Did you regularly buy any...
Fri May 18, 2007 10:22 am
By: Mike_Kuypers

Luis Escobar
Fri May 18, 2007 9:58 am
By: Mike_Kuypers

Oddball Comics Forum Index
The Oddball Comics Forums
The CRAZIEST Comics Ever Published!

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Weird reprint choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oddball Comics Forum Index -> Oddball Comic Books!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carson

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Weird reprint choices Reply with quote

Scott's column this week features a comic with a weird choice of reprints. I doubt if anyone bought CYnthia DOyle the first time around, so why bring her back?

So what other reprint chocies have made you scratch your head over the years? For me, it was repritns of the original Marvelman comics in Miracleman. Not only were they bacly out of date, Marvelman was basically unknown in North AMerica when he was originally published, and wasn't that popular back in England either.
RobAllen

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on the CBR Classics board we've been discussing why Marvel started a giant-size Ka-Zar reprint book at the same time as the new Ka-Zar series in Astonishing Tales.
Mike_Kuypers

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first exposure to Marvel comics was Marvel Tales and Marvel Collector Item Classics. At the that time the stories being reprinted were 3-4 years old. I didn't get it. DC reprints went back 10-20 years. Of course I didn't realize Marvel, as we know it now, started in 1961.

Even so, it still seems a bit odd. Imagine being a new Marvel reader today picking up reprints going all the way back to 2004. (With trades I guess you can. It's a strange world we live in, my friend!)

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to forever remain a child." -- Cicero
Sijo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have mentioned before, the first DCcomics I read -spanish translations made by a mexican company called Editorial Novaro- featured more than one story per issue, mostly due to the fact their comics were longer than the average American comic of the time, and the extra room was often filled up with old DC reprints from titles like House of Mystery, Mystery in Space or Strange Sports Stories. The really odd thing is that there seemed to be no logic to the combinations they published. I remember being particularly scared by a Batman comic who contained both an Atom short story and a horror story that scared me so much (it was about a man who murdered his wife only to be killed by the Boogieman he feared as a kid) that I cut it off the comic and threw the pages away! (I was like 9 at the time.) :p
mwgallaher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell's 1971 reprinting of their mid-60's Dracula series seemed odd, but I suppose now that they were doing it to preserve their trademark on "Dracula" since Marvel had just started "Tomb of Dracula".
Then there's DC's odd burst of early 70's reprint titles of defunct series like Trigger Twins, Inferior 5, Boy Commandos, Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, Metal Men, Legion of Super-Heroes. It's like they looked at Marvel's heavy servings of reprint titles and figured maybe they were missing out on easy money. Apparently not, since none of these titles were worth publishing for more than 4 issues.
Scott Shaw!
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC's SHOWCASE is a source of Oddball reprints..."Dr. No", "I-- Spy!", "Binky", "Top Gun" and "Phantom Stranger" were all strange choices for a book that was supposedly dedicated to showcasing NEW concepts. Oddest of all was "The Way-Out World Of Windy And Willy", a retooled reprint of the final issue of THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS, covered here a while ago.

And speaking of retooling, how about all those 1950s and 1960s DC romance comics that were reprinted in the 1970s with re-drawn details to make 'em look current? New slang, sideburns and bell bottoms aside, I don't think they were fooling anyone that they were merely using old material. I'm all for recycling but SHEESH!

Aloha,

Scott!
Charlie_Ryan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another weird DC reprint book was the bait-and-switch treasury edition Superman Salutes The Bicentennial which cover featured the great old Jack Burnley drawing of Superman with an eagle perched on his shoulder, but inside had nothing but old Tomahawk stories.