and Statistics
 Media and
 Publications
 Visa Offices
Choose Canada
Graphic image displaying a row of diverse faces of different ages and cultures
Section Title: Media and Publications

Statement

Statement from the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration on Proposed Changes to the Citizenship Act

Ottawa, Ontario
May 29, 2007

Today, the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, appeared before the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration and issued the following statement on proposed changes to the Citizenship Act involving cases that have become known as “lost Canadians.”

“Canada's New Government has taken decisive action to resolve many of the cases that have been brought to our attention. However, more action is required. That is why today, I announced that I plan to introduce new legislation to amend the Citizenship Act.

This will mean that anyone born in Canada on or after January 1, 1947, will have citizenship even if they had lost it under a provision of the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act.

Anyone naturalized in Canada on or after January 1, 1947, will have citizenship even if they had lost it under the 1947 Act.

And anyone born outside the country to a Canadian mother or father, in or out of wedlock on or after January 1, 1947, will have citizenship if they are the first generation born abroad.

My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by this issue due to outdated laws that have been on the books for many years. While the previous government chose not to act, we are taking action and moving forward to help those whose citizenship is in question.”

line
Return to top of page