Home  

 

 History of the City Of Laurel 

Graphic Line Break

          The year 1870 marked the beginning of Laurel's incorporation as a town. That is the year the General Assembly of Maryland passed an act to "put Laurel on its own," so to speak. The Act was signed by Governor Oden Bowie on April 4, 1870.

          Laurel, however, had its beginnings long before the General Assembly of Maryland bestowed its charter. Located in the apex of Prince George's County, 28 miles distant from its county seat, Laurel has progressed without very much assistance from county sources ever since it has been "on its own," so capable has it been of solving its own problems. In spite of its rise near the turn of the century as the most important city in Prince George's County, a status it is once again approaching, it has often been referred to as "an orphan" of the county. Its existence and operation and complete independence as a corporate entity, one time led the late Capt. Vinton D. Cockey, a former county commissioner and well-known land surveyor and engineer, to promote the idea that "Laurel should be carved out of Prince George's County and become a county of its own."

          Many former and present residents have contributed to the content of this document. There May be areas which lack depth of coverage. There May be names and dates and places omitted. Fading memories, inadequate chronicling of events as they occurred, lack of time for extended research, and limited staff and space we offer as reasons. We have deliberately dealt more with its early history than its recent, for the latter is easily accessible to the inquisitive.

          And people make the history of any town. In the case of Laurel, we hope we have peeled away enough patina to bestow pride in her past and faith in her future.

--Gertrude L. Poe

(Reprinted from the 1870 - 1970 Centennial Historical Souvenir Booklet. Much of the information contained in this Web Site is derived from this publication)

Graphic Line Break

Early History

By James C. Wilfong, Jr.

          The Story of Laurel is essentially a story of people. As a municipality, it is not old, as Marylanders measure such matters. From the point of view of early settlement, however, it is extremely so. Only a scant generation separated the landing of the Calverts at St. Mary's City in 1634 and the arrival of Richard Snowden. "The Immigrant," to occupy his 10,000 acres stretching westward from South River in northern Anne Arundel County well into what--more than a century later--would be Montgomery. St. Mary's County was erected in 1637. Calvert followed thirteen years later. In the same year Anne Arundel came into being. By 1658 Charles had become a political entity. Not until 1695 did Prince George's take form from a realignment of Calvert and Charles.

          Richard Snowden, Friend, came to the friendly shores of Maryland from Wales in 1658 and the fact that his generous grant of land lay almost a hundred miles north of the Calverts' landing place tells something of the character of the early Marylander. Settlement literally raced up the shoreline of navigable rivers and bays and to the credit of the Maryland Colonial a contributing factor was the generally peaceful relationship existing with native Indian tribes. Captain Henry Fleet, trader, explorer, translator extraordinary and tower of strength to the Calverts on their arrival had lived among the Indians for years and known the Potomac intimately up to the head of Tidewater where Georgetown now stands. He counseled the Calverts well and was rewarded in 1635 with West St. Mary's Manor, Maryland's first recorded land grant.

          Thanks to the absence of military aggressiveness by the Maryland colonizers a generally peaceful relationship existed.

          It was, then, a rather peaceful area that awaited Richard Snowden in 1658. We read, here and there, of the changing nature of our Port Tobacco Creeks, the Eastern Branch of the Anacostia River and the silting of the upper reaches of the mighty Patuxent. One May place credence in such speculative recording; Richard Snowden erected his home, not on the bank of South River where some shoreline was his, but very near the Patuxent, southeast of today's Laurel. In the middle 17th century access to navigable streams was urgent and necessary. There were no roads of importance, nor would there be for another century. Only the waterways permitted reasonable mobility.

          Laurel was not yet, but as successive generations of Snowdens took up the reins of the family fortunes the advent of the other became inevitable. A third Richard Snowden became sole owner of the family's shared iron enterprise and all of his life he was identified as Richard Snowden, "the Iron Master" , or "The Iron Monger". One finds both in the early records. This Richard died in 1763.

          Laurel had been settled in the 18th or early 19th century as "Laurel Factory" a designation it retained until June 14, 1875, when it officially took its present name. The Snowdens had very early established an iron works along the Patuxent and then expanded, later, into mills and factories.

          In 1824 Nicholas Snowden established a cotton mill which employed a hundred persons and flourished with typical Snowden success. This was expanded to include a main factory of woolen hats, another turning out blankets and a saw mill. With the death of Snowden on March 8, 1831, business conditions in Laurel deteriorated. The vast Snowden holdings of six thousand acres were divided among the numerous heirs. Dr. and Mrs. Jenkins presented 69 acres of their own portion to Georgetown College in 1849-50. This choice land represents most of Laurel's present day business district.

          Horace Capron who had married Louisa Snowden erected the Patuxent Cotton Manufacturing Co. in 1835 with the aid of his brother-in-law, Dr. Jenkins and O.C. Tiffany and Co. Capitalized at more than a quarter million dollars -- a princely sum for those days -- the project thrived for twenty years and gave employment to five hundred townspeople. Tragically, it burned to the ground in 1855, but was rebuilt and continued on until obsolescence necessitated its removal in the mid 1940's.

          With the construction of its mills it must be accepted that the first half of the 19th century witnessed a building boom, with some 500 mill workers to be housed. To the credit of some city planner of long ago lot lines and thoroughfares were established and strictly observed. This can be noted by the few surviving mill houses at the west end of Main Street. We are not told by written town records the nature of Laurel's local government in these early days. Quite likely there was none; the complexities of the times were few as we note our complexities today. When the mills which represented the chief employment of the community burned in 1855, Laurel sank into a lethargic decline.

           In 1870, Laurel left its fledgling status and took on the rights and responsibilities of incorporated government. Maps of the day would designate the wheelwright and the blacksmith as highly important persons in the economy.

          The original incorporation stipulated "Commissioners of Laurel" with five elected representatives serving as such. These were :

James Curley
Edward J. Phelps
George W. Kellog
Joseph A. Miles
John A. Talbott

          Mr. Curley was elected President of the first board. It is of interest that his grandson, James P. Curley was a later Mayor and also that Edward Phelps, son of Edward J. held the same office seven times. For twenty years this form of government functioned to the satisfaction of local residents.

          In 1890 by act of the Maryland Legislature Laurel was incorporated a second time by amendment with Mayor and City Council and divided into three wards. Also in 1890 agitation for an electric power plant, privately operated, and extended street paving projects met with success and water and sewer improvements followed shortly after.

          In 1937 Postmaster General James H. Farley, in dedicating a new Laurel Post Office pointed out that just one hundred years earlier in a similar dedication with Edward Snowden as Postmaster, this had been Laurel Factory. Not until June 14, 1875, was the name shortened to Laurel.

          In 1899, on the northeast corner of Montgomery and Eighth Streets, was built the FIRST HIGH SCHOOL IN PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY. If ever there was a story of obstacles overcome by one man's determination it is that of Laurel's seven-times Mayor, Edward Phelps, in pursuance of this project. When the low bidder failed to give bond and declined to proceed with the contract, Edward Phelps himself assumed the risk of putting up the school at the low-bid price and lost a thousand dollars of his own money in doing so. As long as this 1899 school building stands, the civic-mindedness of Laurel's Edward Phelps will need no other attestation.

Graphic Line Break

They served the Town as Officials . . .

          In the belief that the names of many of the commissioners, Mayors and city councilmen of bygone days will still have great interest to Laurel people generally, as well as to the relatives who still continue to live in the locality, we are publishing here all that are available:

April 25, 1872

April 7, 1873

Commissioners:
George Wheeler
George W. Kellogg
Robert Pilson
George Tiffany
President Board of Commissioners:
James A. Crandle

Commissioners:
David G. McCurdy
A.D. Luber
George Shorts
William A. Pritchard
President Board of Commissioners:
Walter Brown

May 6, 1874

May 10, 1875

Commissioners:
George W. Kellogg
Edward J. Phelps
John A. Talbott
Charles W. Baldwin
President Board of Commissioners:
William H. Diven

Commissioners:
Charles W. Baldwin
George W. Kellogg
Edward J. Phelps
John A. Talbott
President Board of Commissioners:
John A. Talbott

May 1, 1876

May 25, 1877

Commissioners:
Charles W. Baldwin
Charles F. Shaffer
James W. Moorehead
Henry McEwing
President Board of Commissioners:
Edward J. Phelps

Commissioners:
Charles F. Shaffer
Henry McEwing
Joseph A. Miles
Charles W. Baldwin
President Board of Commissioners:
Edward J. Phelps

May 20, 1878 May 5, 1879

Commissioners:
Frank A. Smith
Charles W. Baldwin
William H. Diven
Joseph A. Miles/E.W. Newman
President Board of Commissioners:
John Haslup

Commissioners:
L.A. Ellis
Charles H. Stanley
C.A. Pritchard
Henry McEwing
President Board of Commissioners:
John W. Whitesides

May 13, 1880 May 10, 1881

Commissioners:
Dr. John Cronmiller
Charles H. Stanley
Lawrence Ellis
Montague L. Richardson
President Board of Commissioners:
John W. Whitesides

Commissioners:
John W. Whitesides
Dr. John Cronmiller
Charles H. Stanley
Montague L. Richardson
President Board of Commissioners:
Lawrence A. Ellis

May 10, 1882 May 9, 1883

Commissioners:
John W. Whitesides
Henry C. Frost
William Milstead
Edward J. Phelps
President Board of Commissioners:
Dr. John Cronmiller

Commissioners:
Edward J. Phelps
Albinas Conway
William Harrison
Thomas W. Young
President Board of Commissioners:
Dr. John Cronmiller

May 7, 1884 May 13, 1885

Commissioners:
Edward J. Phelps
John W. Whitesides
Thomas W. Young
A.M. Bond
President Board of Commissioners:
Dr. John Cronmiller

Commissioners:
William Milstead, Jr.
C.W. Baldwin
John Haslup
Henry C. Frost
President Board of Commissioners:
Dr. John Cronmiller

May 5, 1886 May 7, 1887

Commissioners:
H.W. Thies
Edward Phelps
E. Baker Carr
William H. Diven
President Board of Commissioners:
A. M. Bond

Commissioners:
Edward Phelps
E. Baker Carr
William H. Diven
H. W. Thies
President Board of Commissioners:
A. M. Bond

May 9, 1888 1889

Commissioners:
E. Baker Carr
C.W. Bond
S.P. Keller
W.G. Beall
President Board of Commissioners:
Jesse Smallwood

MISSING

APRIL 8, 1890 APRIL 8, 1891

Council:
R.L. Wallach, President
Edward Phelps
John D. Chollar
J.S. Brown
George Marshall
Theodore Morrison
Lucien Cole
B.F. Crabbs
(elected President 2/16/1891)
H.W. Morrison, Jr.
Mayor:
Judson T. Cull

Council:
John D. Chollar, President
W.B. Beall
Benjamin Owens
Joseph Miles
Frank W. Awalt
Harry McEwing
Edward Phelps
Jesse Smallwood
John W. Jackson

Mayor:
Charles H. Stanley
APRIL 6, 1892 APRIL 5, 1893

Council:
A.L. Luber, President
Edward Phelps
C.W. Bond
John D. Chollar
Joseph Miles
Frank W. Awalt
Elwood N. Fisher
W.B. Beall
Benjamin Owens
Mayor:
Charles H. Stanley

Council:
F.W. Awalt, President
D.L. Sakers
William Crockett
William Cronmiller
Smith Armstrong
Elwood W. Fisher
A.L. Luber
C.W. Bond
Edward Phelps
Mayor:
J.R Huntt

April 4, 1894 April 3, 1895

Council:
P.P. Castle, President
R.W. Kerr
James Federline
H.W. Thies
M.F. Schooley
C.E. Phelps
Mayor:
Gustavus B. Timanus

Council:
M.F. Schooley, President
E. Burke Carr
John W. Sharswood
H.W. Thies
Albin F. Fairall
(completed James Federline's term)
Mayor:
Edward Phelps
April 8, 1896 April 5, 1897

Council:
Arthur F. Nicholson
James P. Curley
Plummer W. Carr
Dr. Thomas M. Baldwin
Robert W. Kerr
Mayor:
Edward Phelps

Council:
Robert W. Kerr, President
Dr. T.M. Baldwin
T. Harry O'Brien
James A. Brown
Plummer W. Carr
Mayor:
Edward Phelps

April 11, 1898 April 13, 1899

Council:
Robert W. Kerr, President
Charles Frothingham
Thomas M. Baldwin
T. Harry O'Brien
James A. Brown
Plummer W. Carr
Mayor:
Edward Phelps

Council:
Thomas M. Baldwin, President
Calvin W. Donaldson
E. Burke Carr
Charles Frothingham
James A. Brown

Mayor:
Edward Phelps

April 4, 1900 1901

Council:
Frank W. Awalt, President
Theodore Sakers
John Haslup
J.C. Howell
Benjamin Owens
Mayor:
Edward Phelps

Council:
Frank W. Awalt, President
William H. Mullican
Theodore Sakers
J.C. Howell
Benjamin Owens
Mayor:
Edward Phelps

April 28, 1902 1903

Council:
Gilbert A. Haslup, President
Walter Martin
Robert L. Frye
H.W. Thies
James A. Brown
Mayor:
Gustavus Timanus

Council:
Gilbert A. Haslup, President
James A. Brown
H.W. Thies
George W. Waters, Jr.
Robert L. Frye
Mayor:
Gustavus Timanus

April 20, 1904 April 18, 1906

Council:
Gilbert A. Haslup, President
James W. Travers
John W. O'Brien
H.W. Thies
James A. Brown
Mayor:
Gustavus Timanus/T. Watts Byerly
(Byerly completed Term 7/10/05)

Council:
Auguste Faure, President
LePage Cronmiller
Edward Phelps
William H. Dorsey
Calvin W. Donaldson
Mayor:
William E. Gilbert

April 22, 1908 April 18, 1910

Council:
LePage Cronmiller, President
Edward Phelps
W. H. Dorsey
Calvin W. Donaldson
John F. Palmer
Mayor:
William E. Gilbert

Council:
William H. Dorsey, President
Howard F. Harrison
Edward Phelps
John F. Palmer
H.W. Thies
Mayor:
William E. Gilbert/George McCeney
(McCeney completed Term 12/12/10)

April 7, 1912 April 20, 1914

Council:
John R. Jones, President
Edmund B. Carr
L. Clinton Donaldson
Albert L. Gosnell
Elwood N. Fisher
Mayor:
George W. Waters, Jr.

Council:
L. Clinton Donaldson, President
Edmund B. Carr (Died 4/6/15)
Gilbert A. Haslup
Albert L. Gosnell
Elwood N. Fisher
Mayor:
George W. Waters, Jr.

April 17, 1916 April 15, 1918

Council:
William H. Dorsey, President
DeWilton H. Donaldson
Harry H. Knight
George W. Alcorn
Elwood N. Fisher
Mayor:
George W. Waters, Jr.

Council:
DeWilton Donaldson, President
Henry M. Scott
John W. O'Brien
George W. Alcorn
E. W. Pearre
Mayor:
George P. McCeney

April 22, 1920 April 17, 1922

Council:
Edward F. Tolson, President
L. Clinton Donaldson
Charles D. Godfrey
William H. Dorsey
Thomas D. Roberts/
Howard Boteler(10/11/20)
Charles E. Little (succeeded Tolson)
Mayor:
William E. Gilbert/Edward F. Tolson
(12/14/20 Tolson became Mayor)

Council:
William H. Dorsey, President
Ernest R. Harrison
William E. Beall
E. Roy Hill



Mayor:
Charles E. Little

April 21, 1924 April 19, 1926

Council:
DeWilton Donaldson, President
Charles H. Lilley
Ernest R. Harrison
John O. Sharswood
John H. Fetty

Mayor:
Thomas D. Roberts/
DeWilton H. Donaldson
(October 1925 )

Council:
John H. Fetty, President
E. Calvin Donaldson
Charles H. Lilley
Bert Ayton
Lee E. Gilbert
Walter Lanahan
Mayor:
DeWilton Donaldson

April 16, 1928 April 21, 1930

Council:
Walter D. Lanahan, President
E. Calvin Donaldson
Charles H. Lilley
Bert Ayton
David Schaffer, Jr.
Mayor:
James P. Curley

Council:
William H. Dorsey, President
Walter D. Lanahan
Charles R. Reeley
E.C. Parks
Herman P. Millard
Mayor:
John H. Fetty

April 18, 1932 April 16, 1934

Council:
Bert Ayton, President
Walter D. Lanahan
Charles R. Reeley
DeWilton H. Donaldson
Charles H. Lilley

Mayor:
John H. Fetty

Council:
DeWilton Donaldson, President
Bert Ayton
Everard E. Hatch/E. Claude Gaylor
(Replaced Hatch 10/29/35)
Charles H. Lilley
Charles R. Reeley
Mayor:
Julian B. Anderson

April 20, 1936 1938

Council:
Bert Ayton, President
Maynard L. Ward
Charles R. Reeley
G. Bowie McCeney
Charles H. Lilley
Mayor:
Everard E. Hatch

Council:
Bert Ayton, President
Edward F. Tolson
Charles R. Reeley
Maynard L. Ward
Charles H. Lilley
Mayor:
Everard E. Hatch

1940 April 20, 1942

Council:
Bert Ayton, President
Hiram Soper
G. Bowie McCeney
Maynard L. Ward
Charles H. Lilley
Mayor:
Edward F. Tolson

Council:
DeWilton Donaldson, President
John H. Fetty
Thomas B. Israel
Maynard L. Ward
Charles A. St. Clair
Mayor:
Edward F. Tolson

April 17, 1944 April 15, 1946

Council:
DeWilton Donaldson
John H. Fetty
Thomas B. Israel
Maynard L. Ward
Charles A. St. Clair
Mayor:
Edward F. Tolson

Council:
Bert Ayton, President
Norris C. Beall
James B. Turney
J. Gilbert White
W. LeRoy Armstrong
Mayor:
John H. Fetty

April 26, 1948 April 24, 1950

Council:
W. LeRoy Armstrong, President
Norris C. Beall
Maynard L. Ward
James B. Turney
J. Gilbert White
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

Council:
J. Gilbert White, President
Norris C. Beall
Maynard L. Ward
James B. Turney
W. LeRoy Armstrong
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

April 21, 1952 April 21, 1954

Council:
Hiram J. Soper, President
Harry Hardingham, Jr.
Carlisle F. Cook
C. Philip Nichols
Ruth R. Sussman
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

Council:
Hiram J. Soper, President
Charles L. Scott
Henry M. Scott
J. Gilbert White
Ruth R. Sussman
Mayor:
Harry Hardingham, Jr.

April 18, 1956 April 23, 1958

Council:
Hiram J. Soper, President
Henry M. Scott
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr.
Alton M. Donaldson
Ruth R. Sussman


Mayor:
Harry Hardingham, Jr.

Council:
Henry M. Scott, President
P.G. Melbourne
(Replaced Scott)
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr.
Thomas F. Murphy
Ruth R. Sussman, President
(Upon resignation of Scott)
Alton M. Donaldson
Mayor:
Hiram J. Soper

April 20, 1960 March 21, 1962

Council:
Alton M. Donaldson, President
Thomas F. Murphy
P.G. Melbourne, III
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr.
Ruth R. Sussman
Mayor:
Hiram J. Soper

Council:
Merrill L. Harrison, President
Henry M. Scott
Elmer E. Donaldson
Dr. John R. Buell
Leo E. Wilson
Mayor:
P. G. Melbourne, III

1964 1966

Council:
Dr. John R. Buell, President
Henry M. Scott
Thomas F. Murphy
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr.
Leo E. Wilson
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

Council:
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr., President
Robert Kluckhuhn
John Brady
Ronald E. Davies
Leo E. Wilson
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

1968 1970

Council:
John D. Brady, President
Henry W. Schlosser, Jr.
Robert Kluckhuhn
Ronald E. Davies
Leo E. Wilson
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

Council:
Leo Wilson, President
M. Peggy Anderson
Frank P. Casula
Ronald E. Davies
John D. Brady
Mayor:
Merrill L. Harrison

1972 1974

Council:
Frank P. Casula, President
John D. Brady
John M. Barron/Dr. John Buell
(Buell completed Term)
Aramus C. Neil
M. Peggy Anderson

Mayor:
Leo E. Wilson (Incumbent)

Council:
Frank P. Casula, President
Robert J. DiPietro
(Completed Casula Term)
M. Peggy Anderson
James E. Cross, III
D. Craig Horn
Aramus C. Neil, President
Mayor:
Leo E. Wilson

1976 1978

Council:
D. Craig Horn, President
Robert J. DiPietro
James Alexander Forsyth
James E. Cross, III
Frank Max Salinger
Mayor:
Leo E. Wilson (Incumbent)

Council:
James E. Cross, III, President
Warren R. Marton, Jr.
Richard D. Rice
Lynn S. Roehrich
D. Craig Horn
Mayor:
Robert J. DiPietro

1980 1982

Council:
James E. Cross, III, President
Dani Duniho
H. Edward Ricks
Hal Ammann
Lynn S. Roehrich
Mayor:
Robert J. DiPietro (Incumbent)

Council:
James E. Cross, III, President
Dani Duniho
H. Edward Ricks
Hal Ammann
Dr. Corlette C. Calvert
Mayor:
Robert J. DiPietro

1984 1986

Council:
H. Edward Ricks, President
Dani Duniho
Frank G. Persico
Dr. Corlette C. Calvert
William G. Grenier, Jr.
Mayor:
Robert J. DiPietro (Incumbent)

Council:
Dr. Corlette C. Calvert, President
Frank G. Persico
William G. Grenier, Jr.
Tim Abell
H. Edward Ricks
Mayor:
Dani Duniho

1988 1990

Council:
William G. Grenier, Jr., President
Joseph R. Robison
Stephen P. Turney
Dr. Corlette C. Calvert
Craig A. Moe

Mayor:
Dani Duniho (Incumbent)

Council:
Stephen P. Turney, President
Craig A. Moe
Linda L.S. Schulte
Terry Martin
William G. Grenier, Jr.
Jeanne Proto
(completed Martin Term)
Mayor:
Joseph R. Robison

1992 1994

Council:
Linda L.S. Schulte, President
Robert S. Stahley
Reginald A. Parks
Faith C. Calhoun
Bruce M. Dodgson
Mayor:
Joseph R. Robison (Incumbent)

Council:
Patricia (Ott) Howard, President
Bruce M. Dodgson
Charles A. Hulberg
Craig A. Moe
Faith C. Calhoun
Mayor:
Frank P. Casula

1996 1998

Council:
Craig A. Moe, President
Michael R. Leszcz
Faith C. Calhoun
C. Michael Walls
Patricia J. Howard
Mayor:
Frank P. Casula (Incumbent)

Council:
Michael R. Leszcz, President
Craig A. Moe
C. Michael Walls
Regina "Jean" Dean
Paul D. Duncan
Mayor:
Frank P. Casula

2000 2002

Council:
Michael R. Leszcz (Succeeded to Mayor)
G. Rick Wilson (Appointed 11/14/2001)
Craig A. Moe
C. Michael Walls, President
Paul Ellis
Faith C. Calhoun
Mayor:
Frank P. Casula (Incumbent)(Died In office)
Michael R. Leszcz, (Sworn 10/22/01)

Council:
Michael R. Leszcz, President 
G. Rick Wilson
Janis L. Robison
Frederick Smalls
Michael B. Sarich

Mayor:
Craig A. Moe

2004

2006

Council:
Michael R. Leszcz, President 
Gayle Snyder
Janis L. Robison
Frederick Smalls
Michael B. Sarich

Mayor:
Craig A. Moe

 

Graphic Line Break

Pride In Our Past . . .

 Image of City Logo
The Official Seal of Laurel was adopted by the Mayor and City Council in our Centennial Year of 1970.

An examination of the emblem will reveal branches of a Laurel bush on either side of a kingly crown that bespeaks the original British allegiance of the Calvert's and other early settlers of Maryland. The snowdrop and strawberry in the crown are pictorial representations of the interrelated Snowden and Capron names. The Snowden's needing no introduction and Horace Capron being the internationally famous resident who, while he lived here in the 1840's shook us out of our lethargy and made Laurel Factory a well-known agricultural and commercial Maryland town. The clasped hands signify brotherhood, and the triangle reminds all that Laurel pinpoints the conjunction of Prince George's, Anne Arundel, and Howard Counties. The silhouetted lion and its fleur-de-lis decorations are taken whole from the Prince George's County seal and flag. The anvil proclaims the early Snowden preoccupation with mining and smelting iron, and the sheaf of wheat the cog wheeled gristmill that eventuated into a major commercial site. The horse and knight remind all that Laurel's racetrack and nearby military and other Governmental installations have given the town's name new celebrity in modern times. The motto "Progressio Per Populum" is the Latin way of saying Progress Through People (rather than through luck or happenstance).

 . . . Faith In Our Future

Graphic Line Break

       

mailto:patg@laurel.md.us

 

City of Laurel, Maryland
8103 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD  20707
301-725-5300