Lighthouses of Chile

Chile has one of the world's longest and most dangerous coastlines, more than 4000 km (2500 mi) long with at least 5000 rocky islands. To guard this coast, the Chilean Navy operates one of the world's most active and most distinguished lighthouse services, the Chilean Maritime Signaling Service (Servizio de Señalizacíon Marítima). In fact, Chile is still building new lighthouses in the southern part of the country. The Cape Horn Light, southernmost lighthouse in the world, was inaugurated in 1991.

Chile acquired its present borders during the early 1880s. During the War of the Pacific (1879-1883), Chile conquered the Atacama desert region to the north from Bolivia and Peru. The Península Serrano lighthouse at Iquique, shown at right, was built by Peru before the start of the war.

In 1881, a treaty between Chile and Argentina give Chile control of the western half of Tierra del Fuego and all of the Strait of Magellan. The Strait did not become an important shipping route until around that time, as steam replaced sail power for ships between the Atlantic and Pacific. Disputes between Chile and Argentina over the ownership of several smaller islands south of Tierra del Fuego were not resolved finally until 1985, when the two countries accepted a mediation decision by Pope John Paul II.

Many of the historic lighthouses of southern Chile are the work of George Slight (1859-1934), a Scottish engineer who moved to Chile in the 1890s and eventually became the head of the Chilean Maritime Signaling Service. In all, he designed and supervised the construction of more than 70 lighthouses.

The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro. In Spain, the word faro is usually applied only to the larger coastal lights, but in South America it is often used for all fixed lights, including towers too small to be considered lighthouses.

Additional information is needed for most of these lighthouses, and recent photos would be especially welcome.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 111.

What's Hot:

 

 
Faro de Península Serrano, Iquique
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima

 
General Sources
Chilean Maritime Signaling Service
The home page of the Chilean Navy's lighthouse service has information on the history and development of the service, plus a gallery of images of 22 of the lighthouses. Text in English as well as Spanish.
Lighthouses of Northern Chile
Five excellent photos contributed by Iván Vargas.

Lighthouses of Northern Chile
* Limitrofe (Concordia Range Rear)
1972. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); green flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower, all four sides covered with slats painted in red and white bands; light displayed from atop a small square equipment room at the top of the tower. Iván Vargas has contributed a photo. Keeper's house staffed. This light was formerly the rear light of a range. The front light, across the border in Peru, was demolished after being heavily damaged by an earthquake. Located at the Peruvian border about 30 km (19 mi) north of Arica. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-101; Admiralty G1987; NGA 1008.
* [Península Alacrán (Isla Alacrán) (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. The Isla Alacrán is a small island just off the coast, now joined to shore by a causeway. A photo is available; in the photo the band on the tower appears to be black rather than red. This light replaced a historic lighthouse. Located between the commerical and small boat harbors at Arica. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-061; Admiralty G1984; NGA 1012.
Arica South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) concrete post with an enclosed concrete lantern, painted red. A photo is available. Located at the end of the breakwater. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-059; Admiralty G1986; NGA 1020.
Iquique Molo de Abrigo (Outer Breakwater) (2)
1932 (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red flash every 10 s. 13.5 m (44 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. The Navy has a remarkable image of the lighthouse, and a good closeup photo is available. Located at the end of the south breakwater at Iquique. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-082; Admiralty G1968; NGA 1036.
* Península Serrano
1878 (Barbier et Fenestre). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 12 s. 22 m (72 ft) slender cylindrical cast iron tower with four skeletal legs, painted with red and white bands (lantern red). In addition to the image above, the Navy has a closeup photo. This lighthouse was built by French engineers for the government of Peru, which controlled the Iquique area at the time. The lighthouse was placed in operation in time to witness the naval Battle of Iquique in May 1879, which led to the Chilean occupation of the city. Declared a National Monument in 1986, this lighthouse is a rare surviving example of French lighthouse design. Located on the Serrano Peninsula on the south side of the Bay of Iquique. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-095; Admiralty G1974.3; NGA 1050.
* Punta Gruesa (Iquique)
Date unknown (station established 1947). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) pyramidal concrete tower atop a 1-story equipment room; light displayed from a small lantern on the front face of the tower. Iván Vargas has contributed a photo. The light is a memorial to Chilean seamen lost in the Battle of Iquique on May 21, 1879, when Chilean ships were defeated by Peruvians in the War of the Pacific. Note: there is another Punta Gruesa light at Valparaíso. Located on a headland about 15 km (10 mi) south of Iquique. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1964; NGA 1072.
* Puerto Mejillones del Sur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); green flash every 3 s. Light mounted on the balcony of the square tower of the harbormaster's office, a 2-story 19th century building painted white with red trim. Javier Velasco has posted a closeup photo, and another fine closeup is available. Mejillones del Sur is a small town facing north onto a broad bay about 80 km (50 mi) north of Antofagasta. Located just behind the beach. Site open, building presumably open, tower status unknown. Admiralty G1953; NGA 1098.
* Punta Angamos
Date unknown (modern). Active; focal plane 109 m (358 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) pyramidal concrete tower atop a 1-story equipment room; light displayed from a small lantern on the front face of the tower. Iván Vargas has contributed a photo. The light commemorates the Battle of Angamos on October 8, 1879, in which Chilean ships sank the Peruvian ship Huáscar and gained control of the sea, ultimately leading to the defeat of Peru and Bolivia in the war of the Pacific. A nearby viewpoint is a popular tourist attraction. The headland of Punta Angamos projects into the Pacific northwestward, sheltering the Bahía Mejillones. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-096; Admiralty G1952; NGA 1108.
Antofagasta (Outer Breakwater, Extremo Molo de Abrigo)
1934. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (43 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Iván Vargas has contributed an older photo in which lighthouse is painted all red. Located on the end of the breakwater at Antofagasta. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-058; Admiralty G1946; NGA 1124.
Caleta Coloso
Date unknown (station established 1917). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); three white flashes every 12 s. 20 m (67 ft) pyramidal metal tower, painted with red and white bands. No photo available. Located on a headland about 18 km (11 mi) south of Antofagasta. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-037; Admiralty G1940; NGA 1127.

Faro de Antofagasta
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima
*** Monumental Chañaral (Faro del Milenio)
2000. Active; focal plane 83 m (272 ft); white flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) round metal (steel?) tower with lantern, mounted on a 1-story circular stone base. Another photo is available, and a third photo shows the situation of the lighthouse. This lighthouse was built by the city of Chañaral as a Millennium project and tourist attraction. It was inaugurated September 1, 2000. The interior of the tower conatins an exhibition space. Located on a steep hillside above Chañaral. Site open, tower believed to be open but we do not have schedule information. ARLHS CHI-090; Admiralty G1932; NGA 1141.
Punta Caldera (2)
1947 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 12 s. 18.5 m (61 ft) square wooden tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. Iván Vargas has contributed a photo, and the Navy also has a closeup photo. Chile's only all-wooden lighthouse. The lighthouse was restored in 1987. Located on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Caldera. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-065; Admiralty G1924; NGA 1148.
Isla Chañaral (1)
1897. Inactive. Roughly 10 m (33 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery. The Maritimer Denkmalschutz site has a small historical photo of this tower (near the bottom of the page). The island is one of the Islotes Atacama, located about 65 km (40 mi) southwest of Huasco, not near the port of Chañaral. It is a nature preserve; visitation is by permit only.
Isla Chañaral (2)
Date unknown (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); white flash every 12 s. Cylindrical tower with red and white bands. No photo available. The island is one of the Islotes Atacama, located about 65 km (40 mi) southwest of Huasco, not near the port of Chañaral. It is a nature preserve; visitation is by permit only. ARLHS CHI-042; Admiralty G1916; NGA 1164.
Lighthouses of Central Chile
*** Monumental La Serena
1950. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 5 s. 25 m (82 ft) cream-colored square concrete tower, rising from the center of a square 1-story building. Gallery red; lantern with domed roof. The Navy has a nighttime photo of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was built as a landmark terminating the Avenida Francisco de Aguirre, which links the old city to the sea. The lighthouse is used as a cultural center and meeting hall. Site open and tower open. Site manager: Municipalidad de La Serena. ARLHS CHI-002; Admiralty G1900.5; NGA 1176.
Punta Tortuga
1886. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 13 s. 4 m (13 ft) lantern, painted red, mounted on a square concrete foundation directly on the rocky point. The Navy has a dramatic photo of the lighthouse. Punta Tortuga is a few miles southwest of La Serena. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-077; Admiralty G1900; NGA 1184.
* Península Los Molles
1944. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); white flash every 15 s. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. The Maritimer Denkmalschutz site has a small photo of this tower by Iván Vargas (about 4/5 of the way down the page). Located on a headland about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Quintero. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-022; Admiralty G1882; NGA 1252.
Concón (Punta Concón)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 12 s; also two red flashes every 6 s are shown over rocks to the north. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower with a square lantern, mounted on a square 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white with one horizontal red band; the pyramidal lantern roof is also red. A good photo is available. Located at the end of the breakwater at Concón, a largely recreational harbor about 15 km (9 mi) north of Valparaíso. The breakwater is not walkable, but there are good views from the waterfront. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-012; Admiralty G1880; NGA 1255.
* Punta Condell (Punta Gruesa)
Date unknown (apparently relocated here in 1987). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 12 s. 6.5 m (22 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with domed lantern and gallery. Tower and lantern painted white, gallery red. The original location of this tower is not known. Today the tower is a memorial to Carlos Condell, a hero of the Battle of Iquique during the War of the Pacific. The Navy has an excellent photo showing the lighthouse and harbor; a dramatic sunset photo is also available. Located on a rocky headland near Viña del Mar northeast of Valparaíso. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-069; Admiralty G1878; NGA 1263.
Punta Duprat
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (51 ft) octagonal concrete tower, with lantern and gallery, mounted on a pyramidal base. Tower painted white with a narrow red band under the gallery; lantern red. The Navy has a photo. Located on the knuckle (bend) of the Chilean Navy pier at Valparaíso. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-068; Admiralty G1875; NGA 1260.
* Punta Angeles (3)
1908 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) cast iron tower. Lantern red; tower painted white with a broad red band. Keeper's house staffed. The Navy has a spectacular photo of the current lighthouse in operation, and a closeup photo is also available. This is Chile's oldest light station, established by Paul Delano, an American captain who became an admiral in the early Chilean navy. The original lighthouse, a pyramidal wooden tower, was built by the city of Valparaíso. It was replaced in 1857 by a brick tower, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1906. The present lighthouse was prefabricated in England by Chance Brothers, Ltd. In 1967 the tower was relocated inside the Punta Angeles maritime complex; the George Slight Lighthouse Museum is nearby. Located on the rocky headland at the western entrance to the Bahía de Valparaíso, about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the city. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-001; Admiralty G1874; NGA 1268.

Faro de Punta Duprat, Valparaíso
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima
Punta Curaumilla
1893. Active; focal plane 84 m (276 ft); white flash every 15 s. 3 m (11 ft) lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Keeper's house, not occupied. Fog siren (3 blasts every 30 s). The Maritimer Denkmalschutz site has a small photo of this tower by Iván Vargas (about 4/5 of the way down the page). Located on the point, which projects into the Pacific near Laguna Verde, about 30 km (19 mi) southwest of Valparaíso. Accessible from a nearby campground. Site open (fenced, but visitors can appraoch very closely), tower closed. ARLHS CHI-014; Admiralty G1870; NGA 1272.
Cofradía Náutica
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light, 3 s on, 5 s off. 18 m (60 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted black. Several distant photos are available. Located atop a large rock, the Islote Pájaros Niños, at the entrance to the harbor of Algarrobo, about 40 km (25 mi) south of Valparaíso; the rock is adjacent to a yacht club, the Cofradía Náutica del Pacifico. Site and tower closed (wildlife sanctuary, protecting a nesting colony of penguins). ARLHS CHI-079; Admiralty G1863; NGA 1283.
* Punta Panul
1924. Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted with red and white bands. 1-story keeper's house, white with a green roof, is staffed. The light was upgraded with a more powerful lamp in 1999. The Navy has a photo of the lighthouse. Located atop a steep bluff about 7 km (4 mi) north of San Antonio. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-073; Admiralty G1857; NGA 1284.
Muelle Policarpo Toro
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 12 s. 10 m (34 ft) metal tower, white with a red band. No photo available. Located at the end of a wharf in San Antonio. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-091; Admiralty G1859; NGA 1292.
Cabo Carranza
1895. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); white flash every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) square cast iron tower, painted with red and white bands. Keeper's house, staffed, and other light station buildings. Prefabricated in England by Chance Brothers, Ltd. The Navy has a photo of the lighthouse. Located on Punta Santa Ana, which is at the mouth of the Río Loanco, just north of the tip of the cape, about 65 km (40 mi) west of Talca. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-005; Admiralty G1846; NGA 1336.
Isla Quiriquina (2)
1905 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); white flash every 10 s. 7 m (23 ft); lantern mounted on a short round cylindrical cast iron tower. Lighthouse painted with red and white bands. Keeper's house staffed.The Navy has a wonderful closeup photo. The lighthouse replaced an older tower destroyed by an 1897 earthquake; it appears that it has been relocated several times. The island is the site of a naval base and a prison. Located at the summit of the island, off the northern entrance to the Bahía de Conceptión. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-025; Admiralty G1798; NGA 1348.
Punta Tumbes
1913. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round cylindrical metal tower, painted with red and white bands. Fog siren (three 3 s blasts every 30 s). No photo available. Located at the point, about 13 km (8 mi) north of Talcahuano and 30 km (19 mi) north of Conceptión. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-099; Admiralty G1796; NGA 1408.
Punta Gualpén (2)
1984 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane approx. 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower. Keeper's house staffed. No photo available. The original cast iron lighthouse was near the keeper's house and had a focal plane of 33 m (108 ft). Located on the toe of a headland north of the mouth of the Río Biobío about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Conceptión. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-070; Admiralty G1794; NGA 1420.
Isla Santa María (2)
Date unknown (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. No photo available. Klaus Huelse has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, a 14 m (46 ft) first-order tower rising from a 1-story keeper's house. We do not know if this historic lighthouse survives. Located on a rugged island about 40 km (25 mi) west of Puerto Coronel. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-027; Admiralty G1764; NGA 1424.

Faro de Quiriquina
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima
Muelle Puerto Coronel
Date unknown (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) round cylindrical metal tower, painted with red and white bands. No photo available. Located on the pier at Puerto Coronel, about 25 km (15 mi) south of Conceptión. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-092; Admiralty G1782.5; NGA 1436.
* Punta Lutrin (Faro del Parque)
1894. Active; focal plane 49 m (160 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13.5 m (44 ft) octagonal cylindrical cast iron tower mounted on an octagonal base. Lighthouse painted white with a single red band below the gallery. The Navy has a photo. Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard view in which the tower appears to be mounted on an elaborate 1-story castellated stone base; this base has been replaced by a much simpler structure. The lighthouse is located in a lovely botanical garden, the Parque Isadora Cousiño de Lota. Punta Lutrin is just north of Lota, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Puerto Coronel. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Municipalidad de Lota. ARLHS CHI-071; Admiralty G1768; NGA 1452.
* Morro Niebla (2)
Date unknown (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. A photo is available, also a second photo. This is Chile's third oldest light station, established to guide ships into the Bahía Corral, the harbor serving the inland city of Valdivia. Klaus Huelse has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, a small cast iron tower. Located atop a bluff on the east side of the entrance to the bay near Niebla, about 35 km (22 mi) west of Valdivia. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-060; Admiralty G1728; NGA 1504.

Lighthouses of the Chilean Fjords

* Punta Corona
1859 (Enrique Siemen). Active; focal plane 66 m (216 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with a single red band below the gallery; the lantern roof is also red. Keeper's house staffed. The Navy has a photo of the lighthouse. This is the oldest active lighthouse in Chile, although it appears to have been modernized. The lighthouse is at the northern end of the large Isla de Chiloé, near Ancud. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-013; Admiralty G1676; NGA 111-1552.
Isla Tabón
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located near the west end of the island, which is at the northern end of the Golfo de Ancud. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-049; Admiralty G1684; NGA 111-1656.
Isla Queullín
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (27 ft) concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located near the end of a sandy spit extending from the island, which is just off the mainland at the northeaster corner of the Golfo de Ancud. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-045; Admiralty G1692; NGA 111-1660.
Isla Chaulinec
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (27 ft) concrete tower painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Located at the southeastern tip of the island off the east coast of the Isla de Chiloé. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-084; Admiralty G1624; NGA 111-1804.
Isla Guafo
1907 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 144 m (472 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete base. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band; lantern roof is also red. 1-story keeper's house staffed by rotating 4-man crews. The island is south of the Isla de Chiloé in the center of the entrance to the Golfo Corcovado. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-021; Admiralty G1592; NGA 111-1888.
Isla Auchilú
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-039; Admiralty G1564; NGA 111-2032.
Cabo Raper
1914 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a large 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with red and white bands. Keeper's house staffed. The Navy has a photo of the light station. A famous lighthouse; its construction posed a huge engineering challenge overcome by building a special railroad 6.5 km (4 mi) long. The cape is at the southern end of the Tres Montes peninsula overlooking the northern entrance to the Golfo de Penas. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-009; Admiralty G1562; NGA 111-2040.
Isla San Pedro
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. Keeper's house staffed. No photo available. The island is on the southeastern side of the Golfo de Penas. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-026; Admiralty G1558; NGA 111-2044.
Islote Direccion
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-054; Admiralty G1552; NGA 111-2064.

Faro de la Isla Guafo
photo copyright Adam and Cheryl Zaricki; used by permission
Isla Mason
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 15 s. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-043; Admiralty G1536; NGA 111-2120.
Isla Medio
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located in the Golfo de Trinidad. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-044; Admiralty G1534.2; NGA 111-2144.
Isla Stratford
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the west side of the Strait of Concepcion. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-048; Admiralty G1534; NGA 111-2148.
Isla Inocentes
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) concrete tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Located on the west channel of the Strait of Concepcion. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-086; Admiralty G1530; NGA 111-2168.
Punta Porpoise
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); green flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a green band at the top. No photo available. Located on the Angostura Guia. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-074; Admiralty G1526; NGA 111-2180.
Isla Bonduca
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 12 s. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Located on the Sarmiento Channel. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-041; Admiralty G1520; NGA 111-2192.
Bahía Gregg
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Located on the Sarmiento Channel. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-033; Admiralty G1508; NGA 111-2220.
Isla Queña
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the Collingwood Strait. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-087; Admiralty G1506; NGA 111-2224.
Isla Brinkley
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal concrete tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the Collingwood Strait. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1504; NGA 111-2236.
Isla Cutler
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the Smyth Channel. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-085; Admiralty G1494; NGA 111-2264.
Islote Pollo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the Smyth Channel. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-088; Admiralty G1491.5; NGA 111-2280.
Lighthouses of the Strait of Magellan and Tierra del Fuego Area
Islotes Evangelistas
1896 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on 1-story concrete and stone keeper's house. Lantern painted white, watch room red. 500 mm lens. Keeper's house staffed. A tremendous engineering accomplishment for its day, this lighthouse is perched on a rocky islet about 30 km (20 mi) northwest of the western entrance to the Strait of Magellan, facing the full force of the "Furious Fifties"; it is one of the most exposed lighthouses in the world. The Navy's photo appears at right. This is the landfall light for ships arriving at the Strait of Magellan from the Pacific. The lighthouse complex also includes a telecommunications station and a weather station. The lighthouse was restored in 1995-96; as part of the restoration, the fiberglass lantern then in use was replaced with a replica of the original lantern. Accessible only by boat in heavy seas. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-017; Admiralty G1498; NGA 111-2324.
Bahía Felix (Isla Tamar)
1907 (Luis Camuzi and George Slight). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, attached at one end of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with horizontal red and white bands. Staffed keeper's house. Kathleen Andersen has posted a distant photo. Located on Isla Tamar, an island on the north side of the Strait. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-003; Admiralty G1478; NGA 111-2328.

Faro de los Islotes Evangelistas
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima
Islote Fairway
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5.5 m (18 ft) hexagonal concrete tower, painted with orange and white bands. Staffed keeper's house. No photo available. Located on a side channel north of the main channel of the Strait. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-055; Admiralty G1480; NGA 111-2320.
Isla Vivian
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-050; Admiralty G1458; NGA 111-2354.
Península Brecknock
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-093; Admiralty G1334.8; NGA 111-2365.
Cabo San Isidro
1904 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical tower, painted white. Keeper's house, no longer staffed, being refurbished as a hotel and visitor center. No photo available. Located about 20 km (13 mi) south of Puerto del Hambre (Port Famine) and 65 km (40 mi) south of Punta Arenas. Ecotours to this site are available from Punta Arenas. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-010; Admiralty G1446; NGA 111-2380.
Cabezo Muelle Prat
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); one long (1.3 s) white flash every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) cast iron tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the southeast side of the Strait north of Porvenir. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-078; Admiralty G1436; NGA 111-2412.
Isla Magdalena
1902 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. The 1-story keeper's house, white with a red roof, is now a national park visitor center. A closeup photo is available. The island, home to a large colony of penguins, is frequently visited by ecotours. Located on an island in the Strait about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Punta Arenas. Site manager: Los Pingüinos (Penguins) National Monument. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-031; Admiralty G1428; NGA 111-2448.
Punta Baxa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); flash every 5 s: four white flashes are followed by two yellow flashes. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. No photo available. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-064; Admiralty G1420; NGA 111-2484.
Punta Delgada
1902. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) cylindrical metal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands, rising from 1-story signal station. The Navy's photo appears at right, and a good closeup is available. The lighthouse is at the western end of the Bahía Posesión, marking the entrance to Angostura Primera, the first narrow part of the Strait. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-015; Admiralty G1414; NGA 111-2496.
Cerro Dirección
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 83 m (272 ft); white flash every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Located on the north side of the Strait northeast of Punta Delgada. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1413; NGA 111-2508.
Cabo Posesión
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); white flash every 18 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical tower, painted white with a red band. Keeper's house, no longer staffed. No photo available. Site status unknown. Located on the northern shore of the Bahía Posesión west of Punta Dungeness. ARLHS CHI-036; Admiralty G1408; NGA 111-2532.

Faro de Punta Delgada
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima
Punta Dungeness
1899 (Alan Brebner) (station established in the 1870s). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft): lantern and 2-story watch room atop a short hexagonal pyramidal skeletal tower, all mounted on a conical concrete base. 1-story keeper's house and signal station, staffed. Tower painted with horizontal red and white bands; building white with a red roof. The Navy has a closeup photo. Located on the northern side of the entrance from the Atlantic to the Strait of Magellan, within a few meters of the Argentine border. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-016; Admiralty G1402; NGA 110-20364.
Cabo Espiritu Santo
1968. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. 1-story keeper's house, staffed, painted white with a red roof. The Navy has a good photo of the station. Located on the southern side of the entrance from the Atlantic to the Strait of Magellan. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-007; Admiralty G1404; NGA 110-20368.
Isla Burnt
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 10 s.8 m (26 ft) cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with a red band. No photo available. Site status unknown. Located in the Ballenero Channel. ARLHS CHI-083; Admiralty G1334; NGA 111-2548.
Cabo de Hornos (Isla Hornos, Cape Horn)
1991. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. The lighthouse has a powerful modern lens with a range of about 37 km (23 mi). Light station placed in service November 17, 1991. The Navy has a photo, and another good photo is available. This is the world's southernmost lighthouse, the true Lighthouse at the End of the World; it stands in latitude 55° 58.6' S. (There exist a few minor aids to navigation farther south, including several in Antarctica.) Located at the highest point of Isla Hornos, the island that includes Cape Horn. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower normally closed. ARLHS CHI-006; Admiralty G1336; NGA 111-2713.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • Huasco has a prominent lighthouse, which can be climbed, but it is not an active aid to navigation.

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Checked and revised August 30, 2006. Lighthouses: 68. Site copyright 2006 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.