UPDATED ON:
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2007
10:23 MECCA TIME, 7:23 GMT
 
NEWS AFRICA
Bemba leaves DR Congo

Jean-Pierre Bemba has spent the last three weeks living in the South African embassy in Kinshasa [AFP]

One of the Democratic Republic of Congo's key opposition leaders has left the country, ending three weeks of living under the protection of the South African embasssy in Kinshasa.

 

According to one witness, Jean-Pierre Bemba boarded a private jet bound for Portugal on Wednesday, where he is due to have medical treatment.

The senate granted Bemba an authorisation letter to leave the country late on Monday, Emery Bope, chief of staff for the speaker, said.

He said that as part of the arrangement, Bemba had given a written commitment not to "engage in political activities" while in Portugal.
Bemba and his family have visas to travel to Portugal, where he is to have treatment for a leg injury that was previously treated there, but Portugal had demanded written permission from the authorities for him to travel.

Portuguese diplomats have said Bemba is not moving into long-term exile in the country.

A convoy of around 15 armoured vehicles belonging to the United Nations' peacekeeping mission in Congo (Monuc) took Bemba to the airport in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

 

Tanks and blue-helmeted riot police stood guard at the N'Djili airport outside the city, but there were no crowds or violence. The only people present were a small group of reporters.

 

Kemal Saiki, spokesman for the UN mission, said in a statement: "Upon the request of Congolese authorities and following authorisation to leave national territory ... Monuc assisted in [Bemba's] departure."

 

Bemba, who led a Ugandan-backed rebellion against the Kinshasa government in Congo's 1998-2003 war, lost a presidential run-off in October to incumbent Joseph Kabila in the vast, mineral-rich central African state's first free polls in more than 40 years.


March clashes

Foreign diplomats have estimated that between 200 and 600 people were killed when fighting broke out on March 22 after Bemba's bodyguard defied a goverment order to disarm.

Bemba's several hundred fighters were beaten and he took refuge in the South African embassy.

Government officials initially said a warrant had been issued for his arrest for high treason, but said later such a warrant could not be issued unless the senate lifts the immunity he enjoys as a member.

The private radio and television stations owned by Bemba have not been allowed to broadcast since the clashes. The TV station, as well as his party headquarters, have been occupied by government troops and the homes of several of his political allies have been ransacked.

Bemba, who led a Uganda-backed rebellion against the government during the country's 1998-2003 war, lost a presidential run-off to Joseph Kabila last October.

The central African state's first free elections in more than 40 years had been intended to bring an end to years of chaos and violence but tensions between rival groups remain.
Source: Agencies
Related:
'Hundreds killed' in Congo fighting  
(27 Mar 2007)
DR Congo says capital under control  
(24 Mar 2007)
DR Congo issues warrant for Bemba  
(23 Mar 2007)
Security forces clash in DR Congo  
(22 Mar 2007)
DR Congo president sworn in  
(06 Dec 2006)
DR Congo opposition given ultimatum  
(23 Nov 2006)
DR Congo loser challenges vote  
(18 Nov 2006)
Tools:
Send  Email article
Print  Print article
 Send your feedback
Top news
G8 reaches climate change deal
Tamils forced out of Colombo
Lebanese army pounds besieged camp
Factional fighting erupts in Gaza
North Korea in 'new missile test'
AFRICA news
Amnesty asks public to watch Darfur
Kenya in deadly sect crackdown
Pfizer rejects 'killer drug' claim
Stalemate over South Africa strike
Bomber targets Ethiopian army base