The current Lord Mayor of Belfast is Councillor Jim Rodgers (Ulster Unionist Party - UUP).
The Lord Mayor, during his or her term in office, takes an active part in the life of the city and acts as an ambassador for Belfast.
The Lord Mayor's duties include:
- presiding over meetings of the council and, in the case of equality of votes, the Lord Mayor has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Belfast by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the city
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Belfast at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Belfast at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Belfast's business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Belfast as a place of excellence in which to do business and as a tourist destination.