Text Only  |  Skip Navigation  | help
Birmingham City Council
Home | A-Z index | What's new? | What's on? | Jobs | Contact us   
Business & Economy Community Environment Health Learning Leisure & Tourism Transport Your Council
Search:
or try our advanced search
Museums and Heritage
Famous People
 
 You are in:  Leisure & Tourism  |  Museums and Heritage  |  Famous People 
Printer Friendly

J. R. R. Tolkien
 
Photo Gallery of the Tolkien Weekend 2007
which included the launch of the Birmingham Tolkien Strategy.

A collection of Tolkien postcards is now available to buy
Tolkien as a young man
Photo kindly loaned by Mr. Oliver Suffield
Tolkien himself said there was a danger in too much interest in the life of an author, as it distracted attention from the author's work. He then went on to say he was a hobbit in all but size; liked gardens, trees and unmechanised farmland; smoked a pipe and liked good plain food!

This is a brief account of his early life in Birmingham, from 1895 to 1911. Some of the houses and places mentioned on this page can still be visited. Two Tolkien Trail leaflets have been produced, in 1992, and in 2001. Photocopies of these can be obtained from the Local Studies and History section on Floor 6 of Birmingham Central Library, or go to Tolkien's Birmingham on the Virtual Brum website, which is based on the 1992 leaflet.

Select the images to view a larger version. Most of the illustrations are taken from material held in Local Studies and History.

. . . and why not try our Tolkien Quiz ?

Tolkien family 1892
The Tolkien family in Bloemfontein 1892
Tolkien's origins

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, was born in Bloemfontein, an Afrikaans-speaking area of South Africa, on 3 January 1892. His parents, Arthur Tolkien and Mabel Suffield, were from Birmingham. Arthur Tolkien had moved to South Africa for promotion, he was bank-manager there. His fiance Mabel sailed out to join him in 1891. In 1895, when Tolkien was three, his mother brought him and his younger brother Hilary back to visit their grandparents at 9 Ashfield Road, Kings Heath. They never saw their father again, he died of rheumatic fever shortly after their departure. Tolkien's only memory of his father was of him closing the family's trunk, and painting their name on it.
There is a photo of Tolkien's Suffield grandparents, and of the family shop in Bull Street just before it was demolished in 1886, on the Birmingham Names page
Tolkien's home 1900
Wake Green Road, Sarehole, 1900
Sarehole village

In 1896 Mabel Tolkien and her two young sons settled at 5 Gracewell, now 264 Wake Green Road, a cottage in Sarehole village. Though only four miles from the centre of Birmingham Sarehole was then in the north Worcestershire countryside. Coming from the hot dry veld of South Africa, the green fields and woods made a deep impression on him. Tolkien said that Sarehole was the model for the Shire, home of Bilbo in The Hobbit. When Tolkien visited Birmingham with his family in 1933 he lamented the changes in Sarehole. Although much of the area was still farmland, there were many more houses and gardens, and one old farmhouse had become a garage selling petrol. The change from countryside to city was already happening when he was there as a child - see Countryside to city

Sarehole Mill
Sarehole Mill and millpond, 1992
Sarehole Mill

The most exciting thing for a young boy to see in the village of Sarehole was Sarehole Mill, which he refers to as 'the great mill' in The Hobbit . It stands on the River Cole, which rises near King's Norton and runs close by. It is said that Tolkien based the bad-tempered miller in The Lord of the Rings on the miller there, who perhaps understandably shouted at him and his younger brother when they were playing in the mill yard. The millers, George Andrew senior and junior, appear on one of the Tolkien postcards, a photo from 1890. See Tolkien Postcards The Mill is now run as a museum by Birmingham City Council. A Local Studies map page shows maps of Sarehole for 1904, and 1937.
Birmingham historical maps

Moseley Bog pool
Moseley Bog
Moseley Bog

A few yards up the road from the cottage Ronald and Hilary could play in a deep sandpit lined with trees. This lies on the edge of Moseley Bog, woodland through which streams ran to feed the millpond and the River Cole. Rare plants grow there, and it is now a site of special scientific interest. Moseley Bog is recalled in The Lord of the Rings as the 'Old Forest', last of the primeval woods in which Tom Bombadil lived.
A mile to the south along the River Cole lies Trittiford Mill Pool, which may have suggested the Long Lake in The Hobbit.

Westfield Road
Westfield Road, King's Heath
Changing homes

The family moved several times in the next few years. After Ronald entered King Edward's School in September 1900, they moved to 214 Alcester Road, Moseley to be closer to a tram route into the city. They were not in Moseley for long; by March 1901 they were living in 86 Westfield Road, Kings Heath. This house was new. The plan shows that originally it was one of the larger houses on the estate like number 88 next door, but at some point lost the second floor. In 1902 they moved again, to a house in Oliver Road, near the Oratory. To save money, the brothers were removed from King Edward's and enrolled in the Oratory School, St Philips. Ronald was only there for a short time. With coaching from his mother he won a scholarship to King Edward's and returned there in 1903.

The Oratory
The Oratory, Hagley Road
Mabel Tolkien's death

Mabel had converted to Catholicism in 1900. Some of the family disapproved strongly and withdrew financial support to her and the children. They had little money; perhaps because of the stress she developed diabetes in spring 1904. There was no effective treatment in those days, and in November 1904 she died at the postman's cottage, Fern Cottage, at Rednal in the Lickey Hills next to the Oratory Retreat, shown on the map. The Oratory Retreat, Rednal, 1904 Mabel had appointed Father Francis Xavier Morgan, a priest of the Birmingham Oratory, to be the boys' guardian. The brothers first lived with Beatrice, the widow of Mabel's brother William, at 25 Stirling Road, Edgbaston. From early 1908 they lodged with the Faulkners at 37, Duchess Road, also near the Oratory.
Perrott's Folly, Edgbaston
Perrott's Folly, Waterworks Road
The Two Towers

Life in Ladywood lacked the excitement of rural Sarehole, but the one building that did leave an impression was the 96ft tower known as Perrott's Folly. It was built in 1758, possibly as a hunting-lodge, and is one of Birmingham's oddest architectural features. From 1884 it had been used as a weather observatory. Near it stands the Waterworks tower and the pair are said to have suggested the title of the second volume of The Lord of the Rings; The Two Towers. But which are the two towers - there is more than one possibility, as discussed in The Two Towers
outside pub, Moseley, 1900
Prince of Wales, Moseley, 1900
Edith Bratt

In Duchess Road Tolkien met his future wife, Edith Bratt, who was lodging there. They would spend time together in Birmingham teashops, and the story is that they also met in the Prince of Wales pub in Moseley. One afternoon in late 1909 they cycled out to the Lickeys and had tea in Rednal village - Rednal Four Ways, Lickey Hills. Father Francis Morgan heard of this meeting. He disapproved of the relationship as he considered that Tolkien ahould be devoting all his attention on his studies and forbade him to contact Edith before he had come of age. Ronald and Hilary Tolkien were moved to different lodgings in Highfield Road. Eventually Ronald and Edith got married in 1916, just before he left to fight in France

portrait Doctor J.S. Gamgee
Doctor Joseph Sampson Gamgee
Joseph Sampson Gamgee

Many ideas originating from Tolkien's time in Birmingham surfaced in The Lord of the Rings, including the name Sam Gamgee who in the book was Frodo's faithful friend. Dr Joseph Sampson Gamgee was a Birmingham surgeon who invented a kind of cotton wool, known as the "Gamgee tissue". He also created a charity called The Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund. His widow still lived in Stirling Road when the Tolkien brothers lodged there. A blue plaque on the Repertory Theatre in Centenary Square commemorates his former home on the site.
Barrow's, Birmingham
Barrow's, Corporation Street, 1895
King Edward's School and the T.C.B.S.

Tolkien studied at King Edward's School, then in New Street in the centre of Birmingham. He enjoyed sport, being captain of the rugby team; and was also a leading member of the school Debating Society. He was passionately interested in languages, and founded a club that met most days after school in the school library, or in the cafe over Barrow's Stores in Corporation Street. It became known as the Tea Club Barrovian Society - T.C.B.S. Over tea they would discuss ancient languages, literature and mythology, as well as music, current affairs and art.
Tolkien and his circle

Merton College
Turrett Quad, Merton College
Oxford

In 1910 Ronald Tolkien was living at 4 Highfield Road, Edgbaston. It was here that he learned that he had been awarded an Exhibition - a form of scholarship - at Exeter College, Oxford, to study classics. In 1925 he returned to Oxford with his young family to become the Professor of Anglo-Saxon. He was appointed Merton Professor of English Language and Literature in 1945. He gave inspiring lectures, and transformed the view of Middle English and Anglo-Saxon epic poems such as Beowulf. He lived in Oxford for the rest of his life, dying in 1973.

Tolkien's writing

Although he was the author of academic work on Anglo-Saxon and Middle English, it is for his novels that Tolkien is best known. The Hobbit was published in 1937, and the trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, in 1954/55. These are the best selling fiction books of the 20th Century. The Hobbit has sold over 40 million copies, and The Lord of the Rings over 50 million copies. Tolkien's novels are described as fantasy, but much of his writing is based on his own experiences. See Realism or Fantasy?

Films
The Lord of the Rings has recently been filmed, the three parts being filmed back-to-back. It was filmed in director Peter Jackson's home country of New Zealand. The Fellowship of the Ring was released in 2001 and The Two Towers in December 2002; The Return of the King was released in 2003. See the website below - Lord of the Rings - The Film.


Related Links
Tolkien's boyhood in Birmingham, an exhibition
Tolkien Weekend 2007
Tolkien Weekend 2006
Tolkien Weekend 2005
Review of the Tolkien Weekend 2004
Tolkien Weekend Image Gallery
Birmingham or Brummagem?
Sarehole Mill
Tolkien Quiz
The Dragon Seat at Hall Green Library inspired by Tolkien
External Links
We are not responsible for the content of other organisations' websites.
J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Rings - The Film
The Tolkien Trail
Tolkien - Harper Collins publications
 
Last updated - Thursday 31 May 2007 Return to Top | Printer Friendly