The University dates back to the founding of theInstitute of Accountancy in 1928 by a group ofeminent educators led by Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr., thenhead of the Department of Economics of theUniversity of the Philippines. With Dr. Reyes wereDr. Francisco Dalupan, Professors Antonio Aquino,Emmanuel Deymek and Clemente Uson, well-knowneducators from the U.P. Department of Economics.(Dr. Dalupan and Prof. Uson would later become FEUpresidents themselves years after the founder'suntimely demise).
In 1930, it became the Institute of Accounts, Business and Finance. It was finally elevated to therank of a University in 1934 - the Far EasternUniversity. From the initial 117 students,population grew to 11,000 just before the war. Noless than then President Manuel L. Quezon hailed Dr.Reyes for blazing new trails. He called FEU "thebest non-sectarian institution in the country."
1919 Far Eastern College which offered courses in the liberal arts, was founded in Quiapo.
1928 The University dates back to the founding of the Institute of Accountancy by a group of eminent educators led by Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr., then head of the Department of Economics of the University of the Philippines . With Dr. Reyes were Dr. Francisco Dalupan, Professors Antonio Aquino, Emmanuel Deymek and Clemente Uson, well-known educators from the U.P. Department of Economics. (Dr. Dalupan and Prof. Uson would later become FEU presidents themselves years after the founder's untimely demise).
Dr. Reyes was unquestionably qualified for his pioneering venture. He earned an A.B. in 1915, a bachelor's degree in Commercial Science from New York University in 1917, and a M.A. in Business Administration from Columbia University the following year. He received his Ph.D. in Accountancy from Columbia - the first Filipino to do so, which was also the first degree of its kind to be awarded by Columbia . Dr. Reyes was a pioneer even as a student.
1933 The two schools, the Institute of Accounts , Business and Finance and the Far Eastern College, were fused into what is now the Far Eastern University. A cigarette factory on the corner of Azcarraga (now Claro M. Recto Avenue ) and M. Lorenzo (now Quezon Boulevard ) streets in downtown Manila was the first building of the University. The factory stood on a four-hectare lot which FEU would eventually come to own and would become the site of a campus that would later be described as "an oasis in the university belt" due to its design and clusters of trees and pocket gardens.
The Institute of Education, the Boys High School, the Girls High School, and the Elementary (Grade) School were established.
1934 Dr. Nicanor I. Reyes Sr. became the first university president.
Inauguration of the Institute of Law.
1936 Institute of Technology was incorporated.
1945 The University reopened during the second semester, and immediately started its rehabilitation program after the Japanese Imperial Army seized and occupied the FEU compound during the Pacific War. The enemy forces burned and destroyed the University's records, books and facilities, sparing only the buildings which served as their home. More than this, the Japanese killed Dr. Nicanor Reyes and some members of his family.
Dr. Hermenigildo B. Reyes was installed as the second president.
1946 Clemente Q. Uson became the third president.
1949 Dr. Vidal A. Tan came to be the fourth president.
1950 Science Building was built.
1952 Institute of Medicine was established.
Dr. Teodoro T. Evangelista became the fifth president.
1955 School of Nursing was created.
Inauguration of the FEU hospital.
1958 To provide advanced instruction and professional training to qualified students, the University centralized all graduate courses, formerly handled by the respective institutes. The Institute of Graduate Studies now offers graduate student facilities for achieving professional competence in their chosen fields.
1959 President Teodoro Evangelista articulated the University's thrust toward the 60's - "Education for Culture" - a broader program to include arts and culture in the academic preparation of students for a well-rounded person. Then IAS Dean Alejandro Roces introduced the teaching of Humanities and he himself taught the subject, along with writer-artist Alfredo Roces, short story writer Jesus Q. Cruz (who is still an active IAS faculty member), and art educator Carmita Legarda. Dean Roces was a major force in many other pursuits of the University in the areas of arts and culture, including the commissioning of Botong Francisco (who would eventually be posthumously proclaimed National Artist) to paint the Stations of the Cross at the University Chapel and the mural Piyesa ng Angono at the Administration building. Roces was still IAS dean when the country's president then, Diosdado Macapagal, named him to the cabinet as Education Secretary.
1970 Institute of Architecture and Fine Arts was set up.
The Institute of Medicine, School of Medical Technology, FEU Hospital and the Student Health Service Clinic were converted into a non-stock, non-profit educational foundation known as the FEU Dr. Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation.
1970 Dr. Nicanor M. Reyes Jr. came to be the sixth president.
1985 Dr. Josephine Cojuangco-Reyes, widow of Dr. Nicanor Reyes Jr., was the seventh president.
1989 With the installation of Dr. Felixberto C. Sta. Maria as the eight president of FEU in 1989, and with Dr. Lourdes Reyes- Montinola as chair of the Board of Trustees, the University has gone through a revitalizing process.
Buildings and facilities were renovated and its education standards upgraded. Three of its units - the Institute of Arts and Sciences, the Institute of Education, and the Institute of Accounts, Business and Finance-attained accredited status.
In place of its technology program which started to be phased out in 1992, a computer technology program offering degrees in computer science and certificate courses was established in cooperation with the East Asia Computer Center .
There is a pronounced effort to upgrade the faculty, the research program, and the physical plant as the University moves toward academic excellence.
Cultural renaissance was also brought by the establishment of the President's Committee on Culture with its twice a month presentations of local and international artists at the historic FEU auditorium. Modern stage productions obliged the auditorium to be overhauled with state-of-the-art theater facilities including a wide screen and a powerful video and computer projector. Once again, the FEU auditorium was alive.
Publication was given a premium. FEU published numerous scholarly journals, FEU Journal, Arts and Sciences Review, Cultural Forum, Transition, Ambon, Papers etc., among others and a quarterly FEU newsletter. Piņa and Breaking the Silence - two books by Dr. Lourdes R. Montinola - also saw print.
1995 Dr. Edilberto C. de Jesus assumed the ninth presidency, and achieved much in his seven years, particularly the attainment by the University of a "deregulated status" from CHED, the sophisticated computerization of the university facilities and operations, the air-conditioning of all the classrooms, the construction of several structures and facilities and the extensive establishment of academic linkages here and abroad.
IT literacy program for faculty and students together with the installation of the computer laboratories for easy access to the information superhighway was on top of the list. Dr. De Jesus transported FEU to the "information age." Likewise, he endeavored to firm up the English language instruction in FEU through the FEU-Ateneo ACELT ELT project and Project Tell.
Among others, he instituted innovations in its internal management based on the TQM philosophy; the novel concept of Equivalent Teaching Sessions (ETS) for improved and dedicated teaching performance; the establishment of the Teaching Excellence Awards to put premium on quality instruction; the forging of international exchange programs with universities abroad to provide for the exchange of scholars, professional staff members and students and technology; and the establishment of the University Belt Consortium which serves as a platform for policy advocacy and whose recent representations with various government agencies resulted to the abolition of ROTC as a mandatory baccalaureate requirement.vTo further support its academic objectives, the University has created some new offices such as the Office of the General Education Curriculum (OGEC), the Center for Teaching Excellence (CENTEX) to cover faculty development, research, instructional technology and extension activities; the FEU Education Foundation to foster the faculty's professional growth and the creation of the Graduate Fellowship Program and Center for Studies on Urban Environment (FEU-SURE) to spearhead research in the university.
FEU posted new benchmarks in various areas of academics, in government licensure examinations (both in bar and board exams), in the arts, in culture and in sports.
2002 onwards On September 16, 2002 , a year after his renewal for his second term as FEU top executive, Dr. De Jesus was appointed by Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as DepEd Secretary to replace Sec. Raul Roco, who earlier resigned the cabinet post. This is the second time that a FEU executive was appointed to become an Education Secretary.
Dr. Lydia Balatbat-Echauz, who herself was a member of the FEU board, was appointed by the Board of Trustees as the tenth president. The efforts made by the previous administration are being continued, particularly in moving up to Level III FEU's accreditation by CHED, further upgrading of computerization, and construction of more facilities and establishment of wider academic linkages.
Full resources are being poured into the faculty development program for masters and doctorate degrees; Information and Communication Technology (ICT): research under the FEU-SURE; and English proficiency project for students and faculty under Project TELL among others. Publications are likewise being encouraged.
On the academic front, Dr. Echauz's first school year (2002-2003) in office was marked by an increase in the number of merit, academic, and special-name scholars (those enjoying grants from specific benefactors) of the university by 246% - or to a total of 847 by the time SY 2003-2004 began (academically earned scholarships are actually applicable in the succeeding school year).
The University now offers a Master of Arts in Nursing, a 14-month non-thesis Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction, a 14-month non-thesis Master in Business Administration. By SY 2004-2005, the University, in cooperation with De La Salle University, will offer the very first ever five-year dual degree on MBA and Law. Dr. Echauz's being an outstanding business educator in the country facilitated the establishment of the unique but truly relevant dual degree program.
Under Dr. Echauz's leadership and with full support from the board of trustees headed by Dr. Lourdes Reyes- Montinola, Far Eastern University looks back to its triumphant first 75 years as it marches forward to the fulfillment of its vision-mission of becoming the leading, non-sectarian institution of learning in the Philippines.