A BRIEF HISTORY OF
On April 13, 1837, John Felps (Phelps), Alexander Mills, Seth Green, and Daniel Warren, laid out the Town of Bethlehem. The plat contained a total of fourteen lots. The area, previously inhabited by Delaware (Miami) Indians, soon became inhabited by Quakers.
Andrew Jackson was President of the United States at the time.
As a wilderness it was known for its fur trading. The first General Store was constructed in 1837. In 1845, a framed school house building was constructed near the Town's crossroads. In 1846, a Post Office was established. It was, at this time, the town residents were notified that the United States Post Office already had another town registered by the name of Bethlehem in Indiana. Consequently, in 1874, by a referendum vote of 33 in favor and 12 against, the town was officially incorporated and adopted the name "Carmel."
In 1882, rails of the Monon Railroad were laid through Carmel, and a depot was opened in 1883. The railroad depot remained open until 1974. The Carmel-Clay Historical Society is in charge of the restoration of the original depot.
In 1900, a shoot-out at the Jeffries Livery Barn took place. Officer William Frank Carey was killed. To date, Officer Carey, is the only law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty.
In 1904, electricity was installed throughout Carmel.
In 1914, the Carmel Public Library was dedicated. It was built with a grant from the Carnegie Corporation for a total of $11,000.00. It was used until 1972 when it was purchased by the Town of Carmel, and then used for official offices and as a Courthouse.
In 1921, the Carmel Volunteer Fire Department purchased its first fire truck.
In 1924, Leslie Haines invented one of the Country's first automatic stop-and-go traffic signals. It was located at the intersection of Main Street and Range Line Road.
In 1930, a Water System was installed, and in 1933 a gas pipeline was installed.
In 1937, a Centennial celebration took place in Carmel. In 1962, Carmel celebrated its 125th anniversary with parades and street fairs.
In 1949, the Carmel Theatre opened. Ticket prices were 40 cents for adults and 20 cents for children. Candy bars were sold for a nickel each. The theatre was closed and razed by the City in 1984. In 1985, the "Downtown Park" was dedicated on the original site of the Carmel Theatre.
In 1958, a new high school was erected on East Main Street, for a total cost of $1,600,000.00. Additions to the high school were added in 1963, 1969, and 1977. The Carmel Elementary School was opened in 1961 and in 1964, the Carmel Junior High School was opened.
In 1965, Keystone Avenue (Route 431) was opened. This same year, the areas of Woodland Springs, Cool Creek, and Keystone Square, were annexed to Carmel, doubling the population.
In 1971, the Carmel Court was established. The Plan Commission was also expanded to fourteen members from Clay Township and seven from Carmel, that same year.
In November of 1974, a referendum took place as to whether Carmel should become a Fourth Class City. The residents voted in the affirmative.
In 1975, the first City Primary took place in Carmel. On January 1, 1976 the following City Officials took office:
Albert Pickett, Mayor
Peggy Smith, Clerk-Treasurer
Members of the Town Council
David Coots, Dr. Walter Dean, Minnie Doane, Jim Garrestson, Stan Meacham, Jane Reiman, Fred Swift.
Phil Correll, City Judge
The population of Carmel has grown steadily. Statistics show the following residents:
In December of 1976, the Carmel Symphony Orchestra presented its first concert.
In 1985, the Science and Technology Park opened at Meridian and 116th Streets. That same year, St. Vincent Carmel Hospital opened on North Meridian.
In 1986, the ground breaking took place for the Carmel Civic Square, with city offices being relocated during the years thereafter.
April 13, 1987 marked the 150th anniversary of the founding of Carmel. Today it is known for a heritage of culture and a rich tradition of State Championships of Athletic Teams. The new Carmel Civic Square has become the "showpiece of Georgian architectural splendor."
Since becoming classified as a City under the State laws of Indiana, the following public servants have served as Mayor of the City of Carmel:
The History of Carmel From 1990 - Present
Carmel, Indiana is located in Hamilton County.
Telephone Area Code:
For more Carmel historical information - Please click here
and More Carmel historical "Facts & Folklore" click here.
more information? Carmel Clay Historical Society
City of Carmel acknowledges utilization of the