Landgate

Logon to > MyLandgate

History of country town names - O


The following information is a summary of the origins for towns names in rural Western Australia. Please select the first letter of the town you wish to see.
Please note:
The names of all rural towns are being added progressively to the database.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ONGERUP

Latitude
33° 58' S Longitude 118° 29' E

The townsite of Ongerup is located in the great southern agricultural region, 410 km south east of Perth and 54 km east of Gnowangerup. Following a request by the Ongerup Progress Association the townsite of Ongerup was gazetted in 1912. The name is taken from Ongerup Rock, 10km to the north west, and which has been shown on maps of the area since 1879. The name is derived from the aboriginal word "yonger", meaning the male kangaroo, and means "place of the male kangaroo".


ONSLOW

Latitude
21° 38' S Longitude 115° 06' E

The townsite of Onslow is located on the coast of the Pilbara region of Western Australia, 1386 km north of Perth. Created as a port townsite in 1885 to service the pastoral industry of the Ashburton and Yannarie River districts, the original Onslow was situated at the mouth of the Ashburton River. It is named after Sir Alexander Campbell Onslow K.B., Attorney General of Western Australia at the time.
The jetty at the original Onslow Townsite was very primitive. At low tide only vessels drawing a loaded depth of 12ft could berth and the regular coastal steamers had to anchor out in the Roads. In 1922 it was decided to establish a new deep water jetty 15 km to the north east at Beadon Point. At first it was felt Onslow could stay where it was, and be connected to the jetty by a tramway, but this was not practical, and there was considerable pressure to move the townsite. Lots were surveyed at Beadon Point in 1923, and Onslow landowners sought to be relocated in the new townsite. When the new townsite was gazetted on 10 January 1924 it was named "Beadon", but just two weeks later was renamed as part of Onslow. Most of the town moved in 1925 and the original Onslow townsite was later cancelled.


ORA BANDA

Latitude
30° 22' S Longitude 121° 03' E

The abandoned goldfields townsite of Ora Banda is situated 662 km east north east of Perth and 66 km north west of Kalgoorlie. In 1909 the Ora Banda Progress Committee requested the Government make additional business lots available, but it was 1911 before a decision was made to declare a townsite there The survey of lots was made in 1911, and the townsite gazetted in 1912. Ora Banda had a population of 2000 in 1910. The name possibly means band of gold, Ora being derived from auriferous.

Return to Top


Western Australian Land Information Authority