History of Our Checkpoints
See how we've progressed from simple checkpoints to the advanced ones we have today.
No effort was spared to serve our citizens, permanent residents and visitors to the best we can. Hence our state-of-the-art immigration checkpoints.
Checkpoint in the Early Years
Air and Sea Bases before Independence
In the years before Singapore's independence, our immigration checkpoints were air and sea-based.
One of the first checkpoints at that time was the one at Seletar Airport (below). Completed in 1929, it served as a major link to remote regional areas.
Then, in 1937, Kallang Airport opened. It soon saw a rising number of travellers to Singapore. This airport's main building is now the Headquarters of the People's Association.
Passenger arrivals soon outstripped Kallang's capacity. To cope, Paya Lebar Airport was opened on 10 August 1955.
Additional Gazetted Checkpoints
- Railway Station, Keppel Road
- Customs Checkpoint, Woodlands
Back To Top
Expanding Our Bases
Incorporation of Land Checkpoints
- Before 1961 - East Wharf, Singapore Harbour Board
- 1961 - South Quay (end of Prince Edward Road)
- 1975 - Finger Pier Building (end of Prince Edward Road)
- 1992 - World Trade Centre
Our SeaBase Checkpoint, currently at World Trade Centre has shifted several times since 1961.
The Changi Immigration Control post was set up in November 1967 to clear passengers travelling between Singapore and Penggerang in South Johor.
Immigration Checkpoint for Fishing Vessels
And in 1969, the Fisheries control point shifted to its present site in Jurong Fishing Port.
Singapore witnessed a travel boom by the 1980s...
- Changi Airport Terminal 1
- Changi Airport Terminal 2
- 32 additional lanes at Woodlands Checkpoint
- Singapore Cruise Centre
- Changi Ferry Terminal
- Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal
- Tuas Checkpoint
- Woodlands Train Checkpoint
- New Woodlands Checkpoint
Back To Top